Why do you think we only have two commits for 2020? | Syracusefan.com

Why do you think we only have two commits for 2020?

Bulldog04

All American
not sure where to put this but why do the people tied into football program feel that the amount of commits is so low for SU? Looking at some comparable schools (minn, Maryland, Iowa,) all have 9-11 commits right now. Even Buttgers has 11. Is it strictly because of Covid ? But it always seems like Cuse commits happen farrrr after other schools. Would love some insight

not sure where to put this but why do the people tied into football program feel that the amount of commits is so low for SU? Looking at some comparable schools (minn, Maryland, Iowa,) all have 9-11 commits right now. Even Buttgers has 11. Is it strictly because of Covid ? But it always seems like Cuse commits happen farrrr after other schools. Would love some insight
As of 4/20/19 we had 3 commits, 2 were on 4/13 and 4/14 as they were the duo commits of Wax and Tucker. We then didnt get another commit until mid June I believe.

You can always start a new thread. I started this one for you.

As already posted, SU is pretty much on it's normal schedule for recruiting. A lot of kids don't visit SU until camps the summer of their senior year or during their senior year of school.

As CuseLegacy noted SU is right on its normal path for fball recruits. Call it slow or slow building but this is far from outside the norm, I can remember years we had zero commits in April. SU normally does damage in late May/June and early to mid July. With COVID that could be an issue this season but keep in mind SU is already at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting with NY being a non hot bed and the lack of high end recruits so the staff will have to work even harder this season. If SU still has 2 commits three months from now, then it will be time to raise some questions.

They are not comparable schools. Iowa has gone to a bowl 17 or the last 20 yrs. MN 15/20, MD 10/20 and SU 6/20.
Despite a blip on the radar we are not quite seen as an elite program who can just pick players.
We are not that good at football right now. I think we missed a great opportunity last yr to show people we could string a few bowl victories together to start to change that perception. Maybe this yr.
I also chuckle at this concern with quantity. Everyone can get players. We could just start taking Ball St level recruits and call it a day.But we are competing with top teams for top players when we are logically at a perception deficit. Hence our lack of qty hoping to get better recruits. Quality is a concern never Quantity.

Rutgers has taken a number of low level recruits Syracuse would never offer. To their credit, they have also gotten a couple we offered. I think COVID-19 has helped them greatly as some recruits and their families feel safer committing to schools close to home.

The new Rutgers staff is undefeated. It will be interesting see how happens if they have to actually play some games before LOI day.

We have to be thorough with recruiting kids in NYS. There's not many that we would take an early commitment without a camp performance. Schools like ruckers have enough players in the state to land early commitments. We rely on camp workouts because the lack of prospects in NYS. We can't hold camps right now. Those are two big reasons right there.

As CuseLegacy noted SU is right on its normal path for fball recruits. Call it slow or slow building but this is far from outside the norm, I can remember years we had zero commits in April. SU normally does damage in late May/June and early to mid July. With COVID that could be an issue this season but keep in mind SU is already at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting with NY being a non hot bed and the lack of high end recruits so the staff will have to work even harder this season. If SU still has 2 commits three months from now, then it will be time to raise some questions.
Nice post.

Thanks for all the info. Definitely not a critical post on my part. Just curious with such a great coach. Now a new Dome. And such a great education.. I assume the coaches are super thorough but I’m not tied in football like I am basketball so it’s good to get the real point of views. Thanks errrrbody

As already posted, SU is pretty much on it's normal schedule for recruiting. A lot of kids don't visit SU until camps the summer of their senior year or during their senior year of school.

Doesn’t appear there will be camps this year, correct?

The way things look currently I would say no but some states are starting to "open" so things could change. It will be interesting to see what the NCAA and ACC do about ending this Dead Period.

Knock on wood, but there may not be a season either. Or maybe an abbreviated, truncated one like we’ve never seen before. We shall see.

Pitt, BC, Louisville, NC State, GT, Alabama, Auburn, and on and on all have between 2-4 commits right now - given where SU is located and their recent history two solid 3 star commits in mid-April is about where they should be.
Shady has always been good at getting early commits with his used car salesman "we're going to win a national championship" nonsense - no idea how/why it works, but it does - and then his boy Dohn pumps up their ratings to make the class look better than it is.

Pitt, BC, Louisville, NC State, GT, Alabama, Auburn, and on and on all have between 2-4 commits right now - given where SU is located and their recent history two solid 3 star commits in mid-April is about where they should be.
Shady has always been good at getting early commits with his used car salesman "we're going to win a national championship" nonsense - no idea how/why it works, but it does - and then his boy Dohn pumps up their ratings to make the class look better than it is.

Who SUNJ ‘gets’ vs. who they ‘keep’ as recruits are often 2 very different things.

I think a lot of NJ/Northeast kids verbal to Rutgers as their safety school, so they know they have a P5 fallback, while they fish for better options.

I mean, Saquon Barkley was once a RU “commit”. :rolleyes:

New jerseyans need something to give them hope. Shady was the only coach that gave them that. Its gonna be fun to see that hope fade away in a couple years. He's not coaching against a watered down Big East. A first time head coach Doug Marrone was 2-2 against him and was a fumble away from being 3-1.

Last edited:
New jerseyans need something to give them hope. Shady was the only coach that gave them that. Its gonna be fun to see that hope fade away in a couple years. He's not coaching against a watered down Big East. A first time head coach Doug Marrone was 2-2 against him and was a fumble away from being 3-1.
Please don’t make this a NJ thing coach. There are an awful lot of SU alums from and living in NJ. We don’t look to Rutgers to give us hope.

Speaking of camps and visits, interestingly I saw this tweet from a prospect that has received SU recruiting material but no offer. Kid is from CT.

Speaking of camps and visits, interestingly I saw this tweet from a prospect that has received SU recruiting material but no offer. Kid is from CT.

I think the Cuse should off the "Juiceee"