Why I'm Optimistic About The Fall | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why I'm Optimistic About The Fall

way to much emphasis on broyld in the many threads i have read---if we are pinning our hopes an him,that does not say much about the team. keep the pressure off the kid --

I see your point and I agree that we shouldn't look at him as some kind of sure thing savior and he is learning a new position as well but he does have a certain wow factor to him.

I think if all are healthy this receiver core could be pretty good...Lemon, Sales, Stevens (te in name only) and Broyld in the slot...I'm good with that especially if some others step up. Wales looked pretty solid as well and we know Nassib loves his TE's. If one of those new freshman TE's is as good as advertised it'll certainly help.

Mets are at Milwaukee. 7:10.

Not sure the protocal of SNY pregame for the Mets...if we were to get the Stony Brook game televised on SNY would a 3pm kickoff work? The Rutgirls game vs USF smells like a nooner as the BEGOTW so we might be a JIP with a 3pm if the Rutties go over 3 hours. UConn is at MD so they shouldn't be on SNY unless they get picked up by SNY from the ACC package. However, their game might be an ESPN3 affair.

Sometimes I forget we have some pretty nice talent coming in that might be able to fill a few holes here and there. I don't think a true freshman can come in and play the ol but I would have loved to have a kid step up and be a playmaker at WR...Ashton could be that guy I suppose.

I would love to have some of these freshman force Marrone to play them because they are really good and not because he has too.

Just remember as told to me by the coaching staff...they only offer JUCO's they feel can make the 1st team (obviously no guarantee until they show up).

Just remember as told to me by the coaching staff...they only offer JUCO's they feel can make the 1st team (obviously no guarantee until they show up).

The more competition the better, who's coming JUCO wise? I just can't remember all this stuff!

I'm optimistic because I believe our defense is going to be tough. While I worry some about the LB's I believe the DLine and DBs are going to be a strength.

The inside with Bromley, Crume and Sloan should be formidable and they have great size, then you add JUCO Zian Jones (6-5 325) to the mix in August.

There are enough quality bodies at End and the unit should be better than last year. Chandler missed most of last season so the guys returning got a lot of PT and I think you could flip a coin with Marinovich and everyone else.

The DB's appear to be a real strength and the guys on the bench at safety and corner are pushing for PT. Add Wayne Morgan to the mix at corner in August and the unit has the chance to be real good.

DLINE
Crume 6-0 332
Boatman 6-1 281
Sloan 6-4 324
Bromley 6-3 280

ENDS
Welsh 6-2 260
Simmons 6-2 226
Sharpe 6-2 245
Robinson 6-4 252
Goggins 6-1 272

August:
DLINE
Marcus Coleman 6-2 278
Zian Jones 6-5 325

ENDS
Markus Pierce Brewster 6-4 230
James Washington 6-3 220
Josh Manley 6-3 245
Myles Hilliard 6-6 242

way to much emphasis on broyld in the many threads i have read---if we are pinning our hopes an him,that does not say much about the team. keep the pressure off the kid --

Definitely, there's going to be a 'why didn't Broyld get the ball more' thread after every game. I'm all about getting Sales and Lemon the ball.

He's probably moving back inside if Pierce-Brewster comes as advertised.

Yep. I'd also add Washington will be an OLB, not a DE.

Yep. I'd also add Washington will be an OLB, not a DE.

Not sure I agree. He played down in high school and doesn't look fast enough to be a LB. I could maybe see him in that hybrid role though.

I'll definitely be interested to see where some of these frosh line up.

Not sure I agree. He played down in high school and doesn't look fast enough to be a LB. I could maybe see him in that hybrid role though.

I'll definitely be interested to see where some of these frosh line up.

I agree he doesn't look fast enough at OLB, but there is a log jam at DE and he isn't ideal DE size. If he can bulk up, he may even fit in at MLB. It will be interesting to see how the coaches finally end up putting all of these frosh. I'm sticking with OLB for now.

I agree he doesn't look fast enough at OLB, but there is a log jam at DE and he isn't ideal DE size. If he can bulk up, he may even fit in at MLB. It will be interesting to see how the coaches finally end up putting all of these frosh. I'm sticking with OLB for now.

The new LB coach Morrison said in an article that they don't need LB's to play sideline to sideline anymore, they need to play basically their assigned portion of the field so 'speed' might only be relevant to what their defensive scheme is.

LOL, very true. I also remember thinking the offense looked great when Daryl Kennedy was playing qb that one spring. Who knows? I do think we have more playmakers than we have had. I like Lemon and Sales, I think Smith will punish people and if we can get the right O Lineman healthy and that would include Hickey, I think we can score some points...

With the injuries, we certainly did not have 10 lineman on offense that could stop the defense, the fact that the offense sucked yesterday should not surprise anyone. It's not GREAT when healthy... When healthy we should be OK.

What makes me nervous is, it's become apparent that 2013 appears to be putting a lot of eggs in Mr Hunt's basket. They must feel he is the guy because I don't think you will see Broyld ever play QB.
if DK were on this team, I would be screaming for him to start again. Only this time I wouldn't be joking

I'm optimistic because I believe our defense is going to be tough. While I worry some about the LB's I believe the DLine and DBs are going to be a strength.

I don't understand why people are down on the LB corps. We return three starters, and the fourth guy in the rotation is probably better than one of the starters. Vigille redshirted last year, and it sounds like the coaching staff is really high on him. I would love to see Coker also find a way to mix in.

Regardless--we have 5-6 guys of quality playing there, and their production will only be enhanced as a function of the experience they gained last year, to say nothing of a DL that will do a better job stopping the run and occupying blockers than they did last year. I'd expect the LBs to similarly be a position of strength, on a defense that will be improved across the board from last season.

I don't understand why people are down on the LB corps. We return three starters, and the fourth guy in the rotation is probably better than one of the starters. Vigille redshirted last year, and it sounds like the coaching staff is really high on him. I would love to see Coker also find a way to mix in.

Regardless--we have 5-6 guys of quality playing there, and their production will only be enhanced as a function of the experience they gained last year, to say nothing of a DL that will do a better job stopping the run and occupying blockers than they did last year. I'd expect the LBs to similarly be a position of strength, on a defense that will be improved across the board from last season.

Yeah, I'm not an overly optimistic guy in general and I"m not sure I"m real optimistic about this team, but I actually think LB is in decent shape. Lynch may be a bit of a tweener, but he also could end up being really good. Spruill is good, Davis showed a lot, I thought, for a guy forced on to the field as a true frosh. Vaughan is a nice piece and, as you point out, Vigille and Coker could conceivably add something. I'm much more concerned about pass rush from the DEs and consistency from the DTs.

if DK were on this team, I would be screaming for him to start again. Only this time I wouldn't be joking

I've never understood, in this 15-year abyss, why a guy like a Kennedy or Dee Brown type wasn't recruited and at least considered in a wild cat/option/wishbone type offense as a stop gap. I mean, it's not like the threat of a pass was really scaring people at any point other than maybe occasionally during the Mike Williams era.

I don't see where six wins are going to come from.

I don't see where 6 losses are coming from. What games do you have written off as unwinnable at this point? USC, sure small chance. Mizzou, maybe a bit more of a chance but not a huge chance to win. Aside from that? L'ville maybe, and?

I saw more of the team this spring than anyone who isn't a part of the team or works in the Dome. You can see most of the Dome field from certain places outside of the building, so I spent a few hours on covert scouting during the spring.

I believe the running game will looking much better than it did yesterday. Smith has looked like a player this spring, and I really think he can shoulder the load this year. Gulley is a nice compliment.

The other reason for my optimism is the defense. I really think the secondary will lead this team to six or seven wins. The QBs had no time to throw the ball yesterday, but even when they did, the receivers were covered. There were two plays I can think of yesterday where a receiver was wide open. TWO. How many times a GAME was that happening last season? At least a half a dozen.

Reddish is much improved. There are several ball-hawking safeties. Plus, Shamarko is still out there.

Several of the team's best players were out yesterday- Lemon, Lyn, Pugh. Sure, the second team may not be where it could or should be. But the team we saw yesterday isn't the team we'll see this fall.

I'm optimistic about the fall b/c it's the spring. I always find some way to be optimistic at this point. How realistic is it to be optimistic that there has been some sort of a sea change and this team is suddenly ready to push to or beyond .500 vs. a difficult schedule? I'm not so sure. Maybe, but I'd say the chances more toward unlikely. No pass rush last year and we lost a 1st-round DE (apparently). No vertical component to the passing game -- still an issue until proven otherwise. Shaky, shaky, shaky OL play -- no evidence to suggest that has changed. RBs should be about the same.

The main reason I think it never hurts to be optimistic is you never can quite tell when those "playmakers" will appear. The best chance for this year, IMO, is that some combination of Sales/Kobena/Foster/PTG hit some big plays with some regularity offensively and Spruill/Lynch/Davis/JPB?/Shamarko/Lyn make a bunch of plays and lead a revitalized defense.

I mean, it could happen. At least, that's what I'm telling myself ... because it's spring.

I'm optimistic about the fall b/c it's the spring. I always find some way to be optimistic at this point. How realistic is it to be optimistic that there has been some sort of a sea change and this team is suddenly ready to push to or beyond .500 vs. a difficult schedule? I'm not so sure. Maybe, but I'd say the chances more toward unlikely. No pass rush last year and we lost a 1st-round DE (apparently). No vertical component to the passing game -- still an issue until proven otherwise. Shaky, shaky, shaky OL play -- no evidence to suggest that has changed. RBs should be about the same.

The main reason I think it never hurts to be optimistic is you never can quite tell when those "playmakers" will appear. The best chance for this year, IMO, is that some combination of Sales/Kobena/Foster/PTG hit some big plays with some regularity offensively and Spruill/Lynch/Davis/JPB?/Shamarko/Lyn make a bunch of plays and lead a revitalized defense.

I mean, it could happen. At least, that's what I'm telling myself ... because it's spring.

Prior to every good year, there are people who predict poor results. And prior to every poor year, there are folks who predict success. It's who we are. It has less to do with being Polly Annas or Chicken Littles, or my personal favorite "realistic." It has much more to do with how we deal with expectations. Personally, when it comes to things like SU football -- and other things that I invest of myself -- I would much rather expect success, and then have to deal with disappointment if that occurs, than to expect failure for months and months. If I felt that way, I wouldn't bother to watch.

I don't see where 6 losses are coming from. What games do you have written off as unwinnable at this point? USC, sure small chance. Mizzou, maybe a bit more of a chance but not a huge chance to win. Aside from that? L'ville maybe, and?

We ain't winning this game: USC, Missouri, Louisville

Improbable that we win: USF, Pitt, Cincinnati

Probably a toss-up: UConn, Rutgers, Minnesota, Northwestern, Temple

If we don't win I'm kicking a kitten off a bridge: Stony Brook

This team could very easily go 4-8.

What's so improbable about beating USF or Pitt? They aren't exactly world beaters.

Give you the first 2 but L'ville is at home and if we have any Oline at all the game will be much different.

I view the rest as toss ups as well. Barring the same mental lapses on D and an O that is at all improved we should be in position to win them all.

Just my .02 but I'm not writing off 6+ losses before the season has even started.

Since when did Mizzou become a world beater? They were 8-5 last year (7-5 before the bowl) and are going to be running a gauntlet in the SEC. They play Alabama, South Carolina, and before they play us they have Florida and Tennessee in back to back weeks. At that point in the season who knows what can happen?

USC's no chance. Louisville is possible. USF and Pitt improbable? Not a chance. Should have beat both of them this year. What about Cincy scares you?

Since when did Mizzou become a world beater? They were 8-5 last year (7-5 before the bowl) and are going to be running a gauntlet in the SEC. They play Alabama, South Carolina, and before they play us they have Florida and Tennessee in back to back weeks. At that point in the season who knows what can happen?

USC's no chance. Louisville is possible. USF and Pitt improbable? Not a chance. Should have beat both of them this year. What about Cincy scares you?

I'm scared of all of those teams because we're likely going to be not good.

I'm cool with saying we could win six, maybe seven, but I can also see how one could very easily and with pretty justifiable logic make the case for 8 losses. Should have beat both Pitt and USF? We lost those games by a combined 70-37 and that was with USF coming off four straight conference losses. Cincy beat us 30-13. I get that those games weren't as lopsided as the scores suggest (perhaps), but we still lost and lost convincingly to all three teams. I mean, I don't think it's fair to suggest we should have beat any of those three. Louisville held us to 246 yards of offense.

And, while we're at it, we have yet to beat UConn or Pitt under Marrone.

So what happens this year? Who knows. I mean if our OL is legitimately better and Sales and Lemon work well with Nassib and our defense is revitalized (all of which could happen) there's no reason we could scratch out 8 wins or so. I just think most are -- perhaps rightfully so -- a bit skeptical of those things happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom