Why is 3 seed Mich St playing a home game? | Syracusefan.com

Why is 3 seed Mich St playing a home game?

JrodCuse

All Conference
it usually seems whenever Cuse is a top seed they got shuffled out West. I remember many years where they would have venues close to syracuse and even though we were a 1 or 2 seed we wouldn’t get that site. Why are they giving Michigan st 2 Home games as a 3 seed? Kinda odd if you ask me to get that kind of reward.

it usually seems whenever Cuse is a top seed they got shuffled out West. I remember many years where they would have venues close to syracuse and even though we were a 1 or 2 seed we wouldn’t get that site. Why are they giving Michigan st 2 Home games as a 3 seed? Kinda odd if you ask me to get that kind of reward.

We played two home games as a 3 seed in Albany to get us to the Final Four. It happens.

When you're in a play-in game you forego the right to complain about where you're playing. We just want to be in the thing.

I’m not complaining at all, just find it odd the 3 seed gets home games. Believe me I’m super thrilled to even still be alive.

It happens. There's a finite number of venues and a finite number of teams. Some teams are going to get pseudo-home games and some will be shipped far away. Unless you're Duke or UNC. I really wonder if they would get Greensboro/Charlotte/Raleigh if they were a 10 seed.

The top 4 seeds are protected - when possible.

In the case of Duke, for example, they could not play in Charlotte this year because that site was already taken by a pod with Virginia, and another with higher-seeded UNC.

The top four seeds in each region get geographical advantages every year. It’s not new. That’s why teams want to be a protected seed.

Heck UNC and Duke haven’t left Carolina in 40 years.
Duke is in Pittsburgh this year. See my previous post.

It happens. There's a finite number of venues and a finite number of teams. Some teams are going to get pseudo-home games and some will be shipped far away. Unless you're Duke or UNC. I really wonder if they would get Greensboro/Charlotte/Raleigh if they were a 10 seed.

They would, no doubt, because it's about the $$$ for the NCAA.

Duke is in Pittsburgh this year. See my previous post.

I know. A rare occasion they got bumped and they deserved too. They didn’t win the ACC tourney or regular season.

It's all about the pods. They aim to get the protected seeds the best pod closest to them available. So it somewhat depends on whether a 2 seed is closer to your pod than you are and if they are, are there any other higher rated 2 or 3 seeds that have the same setup. Detroit is not exactly closest to any team besides the Big 10 or like a Cuse or Pitt. Same thing tends to happen in the Carolinas.. geographic benefit of being where they are and usually getting a protected seed.

The committee did do Michigan State a solid.
They are a 3 seed and Cincinnati and Xavier both would have preferred Detroit over Nashville.

They are 1 and 2 seeds. Detroit is slightly closer for both and they have more alumni in the Detroit than Nashville.
Committee decided though to throw Michigan State a bone.
It’s not like 2004 when 3 seed Pitt had to play 6 seed Wisconsin in Milwaukee that was a joke but Pitt won.

The committee did do Michigan State a solid.
They are a 3 seed and Cincinnati and Xavier both would have preferred Detroit over Nashville.

They are 1 and 2 seeds. Detroit is slightly closer for both and they have more alumni in the Detroit than Nashville.
Committee decided though to throw Michigan State a bone.
It’s not like 2004 when 3 seed Pitt had to play 6 seed Wisconsin in Milwaukee that was a joke but Pitt won.

IMO, It’s a coin flip re: Cincy in Nashville or Detroit. Nashville is a popular weekend party spot for Cincy people. Literally the same amount of time to drive and you gain an hour. My brother teaches at Vandy and he said he saw a LOT of red/black Bearcats fans around.

Having spent a LOT of time in all three cities recently, to me Detroit is this isolated metropolis where it’s all about UM/MSU. Some Notre Dame support in there. More MAC alumns like WMU/EMU/CMU/Toledo and Oakland than UC/Xavier.

Yeah it's kinda odd that Michigan State the 3 seed will have home field advantage over the 2 seeded Duke

Yeah it's kinda odd that Michigan State the 3 seed will have home field advantage over the 2 seeded Duke

They just knew Cuse would win and ensure that didn't happen.;)

The ACC had 9 teams in the tournament. I thought the decision to put only 1 in the East and 4 in the Midwest was pretty bizarre.

The SEC had 8 but the committee placed 2 in each region. There are lots of considerations but wow, the balancing wasn’t even close.

The ACC had 9 teams in the tournament. I thought the decision to put only 1 in the East and 4 in the Midwest was pretty bizarre.

The SEC had 8 but the committee placed 2 in each region. There are lots of considerations but wow, the balancing wasn’t even close.
They should have flipped St.Bonaventure and Syracuse.

The committee was just stupid or didn’t want to reward Syracuse with a path thru Boston.

If we had the Bonnies path I could see Syracuse playing Villanova in the Elite 8.

We played two home games as a 3 seed in Albany to get us to the Final Four. It happens.

When you're in a play-in game you forego the right to complain about where you're playing. We just want to be in the thing.

Not only as a 3 seed but we played the #1 seed in Albany. Only the NCAA could cook up a scam like that.

The bizarre thing about the SEC was that they put their clearly two best teams UK and Tenn) in the same region.

Like anything else with the NCAA shell game when it comes to head scratcher seeding lines and the location where teams land. I get the “protected” seed deal but logic would of been having Sparty on the two line. So now you have Kansas, Duke and MSU fighting for a single spot in the final four. I’m not a fan of any of those programs but how objective are those seed lines?

I saw a story a while back about how the MLB schedule is/was created, the Billon dollar non-profit NCAA should lean on similar competence once the field has been determined. Get the selection committee out of the picture since they “selected” the field and let objective professionals come in and create the most reasonable seed lines and playing locations. Plus, same bracket yet teams play on different days. Whoever wins today, Cuse or MSU is already at a disadvantage against Duke who is sitting at home.

Boston to Albany to New Orleans worked for Cuse in 03 but did it work for the Big 12? Second and third order effects should be discussed but to me the NCAA selection committee subjectively glosses over the details and indirectly makes a mess of things.

Point being they wanted to see WVU play Marshall so they under seed Marshall and then ship both out to San Diego but a 9:30PM EDT start on a Sunday night in the east coast will backfire except in the Wild and Wonderful state with a population smaller than one of the outer boroughs. The NCAA gets everything it deserves in terms of criticism.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom