Why is Jesse continually fouling out? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why is Jesse continually fouling out?

Minutes…
Yup. And physical maturity/core strength. Better body control combined with experience will reduce his tendency to foul.

I'm reminded of Leo Rautins who picked up a couple fouls a game by draping his arms over the offensive player. He was always incredulous that it was called and seemed absolutely sure he had his arms straight up. He should have watched some film because he almost never defended with his arms straight up.
Sidibe was the same way

Just for apples to apples: Jesse is averaging 5.7 fouls per 40 this season.

(for years with more than minor minutes or non-injury season)
Sidibe: 7.6, 9.3, 6.8
Chukwu: 7.5, 4.6, 6.0
Coleman: 6.3, 5.6
Rak: 5.9, 4.8, 5.3, 3.9
BMK: 5.9, 6.1, 5.7, 6.3
Fab: 7.3, 4.5
AO: 5.1, 4.0, 3.5, 4.7
Mookie Watkins: 6.0, 4.2, 4.9
Forth: 5.5, 5.8, 4.8, 4.5
McNeil: 7.3, 7.6, 6.8, 7.4

And all of those guys played on defenses much better than this season's defense.

a) Still learning
b) Is used to making amazing defensive plays, so he expects to do that on every play
c) Not yet strong enough, so he's reaching and reacting more often than he should
d) Other teams want to get him out of the game because they recognize his impact
e) It's in his head, so he's apprehensive about this issue and sometimes reacting late/making late/bad decisions
f) Having to compensate for breakdowns by other players
g) The zone, baby. The zone.

We have two starters and one bench guy in the rotation that have a negative DBPM.

Jesse has to own some fundamental actions like keeping his arms up, timing, body control, but a lot of it is you are seeing the cake come out of the oven and not any of the stuff before.

Part of it‘s on Jesse and part of it is a coaching issue which involves not developing our other post players by not letting them have significant game experience. If we had more viable post options Jesse would foul out less!

Defense 101 - don’t reach - and go straight up when the guy you cover shoots. Especially with his height and length. He blocks a lot of shots which is great. You’re 7 feet tall they have to shoot over you. An altered shot without fouling is just as good as a block. Who is responsible for this improvement with Jesse? It should be a priority And easily correctable. More Jesse on the court = a higher possibility of SU winning.
Because ACC referees know if Jesse fouled out, it increases the chance that the opponent wins. So if Jesse shows a little aggression, they call foul. The exception is that SU against BC or Pitt. Then the calls will be neutral.

The primary reason is that Jesse reaches and picks up some unnecessary fouls.

But it is also because of coach's penchant to squeeze everything he can out of a player while he can instead of planning to have that player at the end of the game. Case in point was the Wake game when Jesse picked up #4 with 10-12 minutes left (can;t remember) after getting #3 at the end of the 1st half. He did a great job going that long with 3. Perhaps with an earlier blow we get more minutes down the stretch? I've given up even being irritated at the way JB handles foul management. Any way you add it up I think he gets more minutes per player his way. And as much as we like to fret, it has rarely come back to haunt us over the years. Tonight I think he left him in with 4 because with the lead we had it didn't matter if he fouled out or not.

The primary reason is that Jesse reaches and picks up some unnecessary fouls.

But it is also because of coach's penchant to squeeze everything he can out of a player while he can instead of planning to have that player at the end of the game. Case in point was the Wake game when Jesse picked up #4 with 10-12 minutes left (can;t remember) after getting #3 at the end of the 1st half. He did a great job going that long with 3. Perhaps with an earlier blow we get more minutes down the stretch? I've given up even being irritated at the way JB handles foul management. Any way you add it up I think he gets more minutes per player his way. And as much as we like to fret, it has rarely come back to haunt us over the years. Tonight I think he left him in with 4 because with the lead we had it didn't matter if he fouled out or not.

Yeah, I have NO IDEA WTAF JB was thinking, putting Jesse back in during the 1st half when he had 2 fouls already.
You KNOW he's prone to dumb fouls - WHY put him in a position to pick up that 3rd then???

Go with Frankie, or small w/ Jimmay, or hell - JBA for a few minutes, to give some fouls we won't miss??

I think the zone handicaps us with fouls. If you watched Pitt play man, they had hands on SU players all game and pushed and poked SU players without a foul being called. Both Buddy and Swider were almost shoved out of bounds at the baseline multiple times with no fouls called. But SU plays D off the ball and when they rush to the offensive player, any contact or potential contact is called a foul.
Agree, wholeheartedly, the zone has a huge part to do with this. We haven’t always had great defenders at center, but at the same time the zone forces the center to make up for others mistakes, which leads to a lot of fouls from that position.

Just for apples to apples: Jesse is averaging 5.7 fouls per 40 this season.

(for years with more than minor minutes or non-injury season)
Sidibe: 7.6, 9.3, 6.8
Chukwu: 7.5, 4.6, 6.0
Coleman: 6.3, 5.6
Rak: 5.9, 4.8, 5.3, 3.9
BMK: 5.9, 6.1, 5.7, 6.3
Fab: 7.3, 4.5
AO: 5.1, 4.0, 3.5, 4.7
Mookie Watkins: 6.0, 4.2, 4.9
Forth: 5.5, 5.8, 4.8, 4.5
McNeil: 7.3, 7.6, 6.8, 7.4

And all of those guys played on defenses much better than this season's defense.
I posted a thread about Sidibe's fouling that second year. You'd struggle to find a figure like that throughout history, accounting for a minimum of like 15' played per game.

I think his fourth foul had absolutely no contact between the two players (I think it was #4). Ref anticipation is a factor in maybe 10-20% of his fouls.
There was more than a foot of space between him and the player he supposedly fouled. Joke of a call.

Young centers are notoriously picking up bad fouls. If JB would have given him more then a couple minutes a game last year (like he should have) he would be smarter about it this year.
Oh please, he’s a Junior! When is he no longer young? After he graduates? He needs to be smarter because he’s 20 years old on a D1 team playing a critical role. He fouled out of wake on a nothing play and found a way to get 5 fouls in one half against Pitt. This is major problem that he needs to fix.

Oh please, he’s a Junior! When is he no longer young? After he graduates? He needs to be smarter because he’s 20 years old on a D1 team playing a critical role. He fouled out of wake on a nothing play and found a way to get 5 fouls in one half against Pitt. This is major problem that he needs to fix.
The guy hasn’t played in the previous two seasons. He is like a freshman in game experience wise.

The guy hasn’t played in the previous two seasons. He is like a freshman in game experience wise.
Yeah but he is a junior in time with the program. He has 3 years of practice, 3 years of coaching, 3 years of watching other teams centers not foul out of every game. Do you really need 3 years as a starter to know not to get your fifth foul by hitting a guy on a fast break in a 2 point game? Pretty low basketball IQ move there.

All centers need real game time. Especially in the zone. I have been watching SU basketball for 35 years and every single one of our centers have struggled with foul issues early on. By early on I mean when they finally start getting playing time, not just their first or second year in the program.

I mean, it's not like I posted comparisons yesterday ... Jesse is not the reason why this team is going to skate around .500 all season long. He's at a disadvantage with the system and the other four players on the floor.

‘He’s not ready’

When was the last time we had a first, second, or third year center who *didn't* have constant foul trouble?

Jesse reminds me of literally every other true center we've had for years in that regard.

He has to protect the rim, deal with guys that the guards let thru, and run out to the corner; his defensive responsibilities are 3x that of the other guys.
When a big puts the ball on the court in the paint aren't one of the guards/forwards supposed to drop down and help Edwards?

Minutes…
No reason in the Pitt game Frank should not have played more than 5 minutes. Zero fouls at the half and lead expands and Frank can't get more minutes. IMO We win Wake game if JB goes with Frank when Jesse fouls out, what minutes he did play were acceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom