Why isn't West Virgina being condsidered for ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't West Virgina being condsidered for ACC?

SBU72

All Conference
Better football to go along with a top bb team? Could it be UConn, Rutgers, UWV plus one from the SEC to get to 18?

Because the ACC's standards are a little higher than the Big East's ie Academics.

I just don't see UConn to the SEC. I think in the end UConn comes along to ACC. Good fit geographically, academically, and their buddies (SU) are going too

I don't see any conference going to 18. Would BC want UConn in the ACC?

B.C. won't have any veto say. They have as much influence in the ACC as they did in the Big East.

WVU would be a choice for me to ACC but their academic reputation will not get them in...either WVU ends in the SEC or hopes the BE stays together...similar academic aura about Lousiville, Cincy, and USF...if ACC adds two more teams from the BE...its CT and Rutgirls.

Better football to go along with a top bb team? Could it be UConn, Rutgers, UWV plus one from the SEC to get to 18?

It has FAR LESS to do with academics than it does about $$$.

The population of the ENTIRE state of West Virginia is 1.8 million.

There's just no money to be made by adding WVU with such a limited number of potential viewers - Especially when they're so close to Pittsburgh who are now already in the ACC.

Yes, their football is first rate and their fanbase travels, but there's just not enough money to be made when looking at the big picture.

Academics aside, if the WVU campus was in Hackensack, NJ instead of way down in Morgantown, they'd have been in the ACC before 'Cuse.

There's just no money to be made by adding WVU with such a limited number of potential viewers - Especially when they're so close to Pittsburgh who are now already in the ACC.

Yes, they're football is first rate and their fanbase travels, but there's just not enough money to be made when looking at the big picture.

Academics aside, if the WVU campus was in Hackensack, NJ instead of way down in Morgantown, they'd have been in the ACC before 'Cuse.

I'm telling you right now they would not.

They have no common ground with the ACC. None. There was a reason why no one mentioned WVU to the ACC the first expansion go'round in 2003. The idea of West Virginia being in the same conference as Duke is LOL-worthy.

This isn't the Big East we're talking about. There's more thought going into this than "OMG who's the best football program we can take?"

WVU is an ideal fit for the SEC, both geographically, structurally (flagship state school) and academically.

Plus, they love football just as much as the rest of the SEC. They belong there, imo.

Yes, they're football is first rate and their fanbase travels, but there's just not enough money to be made when looking at the big picture.

Best answer I've seen.

While I'm not going to sit here and say WVU is a school on level with Duke or UVA, I have to admit that I would put NC State, Clemson and FSU in the same class as WVU. Are there some minor differences? Sure. But they are in the general group as far as I can tell. I'm sure any graduates of those schools would disagreee, but as an outsider this really doesn't seem to be too far of a stretch for WVU to join.

NC State and Clemson are charter members.

Florida St is still ranked well ahead of WVU.

The casual fan may not differentiate but ACC president's do

Becuase WVU is going to the SEC.

I thought everyone already knew that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors