Why the fear over losing this class and system? | Syracusefan.com

Why the fear over losing this class and system?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
People realize that last year's class was rated higher, right? Like, 20 some places higher.

And do people realize that while we did enjoy a very fun season on offense, that kind of success while new to us is actually pretty normal in college football and where things are trending?

Are people thinking about these things at all, or is everyone really convinced that the most important things for the program's future are to make Zach Allen happy and promote a 34 year old with a recognizable last name and whatever he brings to the table?

My thing is, if we lose the kids in this class then who on Earth do we replace them with?

People generally resist change, and are uncomfortable with too many unknowns. Hackett or Schafer bring some continuity to the program, and fans like our O and D.

I want a team that can run AND pass well and play good defense and special teams. I saw that at Syracuse, especially in the last 6 or 7 games so yeah, I like what we had and think it was a pretty good thing. Is it perfect or was, no. Could it be better with a new coach and system? Yes.

One thing, would the new coaches system fit what we already have? We have talent but I wonder if it's a mix and match talent or one suited for x amount of styles. I don't know the answer but I know plenty of questions!.

My thing is, if we lose the kids in this class then who on Earth do we replace them with?
Other players next year.

Look, it's a small class. Yeah, there are some guys we feel good about, but if we have more 'ships next season, so be it.

Time to see if that so-called "depth" Marrone brought in is for real.

Other players next year.

Look, it's a small class. Yeah, there are some guys we feel good about, but if we have more 'ships next season, so be it.

Time to see if that so-called "depth" Marrone brought in is for real.

But who says next years' class is any better. We don't know who is coach and there is a lot of uncertainty so people are hoping for consistency in the commits. Unrealistic but true. Whoever we hire might make it easier to accept losing some of the talent we had in the class. Sure we didn't have the numbers but some of the players were definitely talented and had a lot of potential. It can be corrected next year but it also could be botched horribly.

It's not that hard to do better than the 70th ranked class.

69 teams do it every season.

I sure hope so but it's not like Syracuse is an extremely desirable place to go for most recruits. I really hope we do have a much better class but I'm trying to keep an open mind and our facilities are garbage.

It's starting to grow on me. Roll the dice. Maybe it comes up 7.

I'll answer from my perspective: because after years of futility, we finally seemed to be gaining momentum. The offensive system we saw this past season might not be exactly what some are clamoring for, but it was effective and fun to watch.

Defensively, Shafer's system is a risk / reward scheme, but it can excel when you have the personnel to run it. Well, we're finally amassing the personnel to run it.

Ultimately, whoever they bring in as a head coach is going to have his own preferences about who he wants to hire on both sides of the ball. The new HC might seek to retain some of the existing coaching staff; then again, he might not. Dems the breaks when you make a new hire.

As for the class, I like the majority of players we've secured commitments from. We really got off to a good start [for us] in recruiting; at one point, all of our first 7 or 8 commits were ranked three-stars by either Rivals or Scout [or both]. Some of the JUCOs we'll have to wait and see about. But one thing I've become confident about was our staffs' collective ability to identify good athletes. Doesn't mean we can't recruit better, or that a new coach won't build upon the foundation laid by Marrone [and staff] and take things up a level on the recruiting trail.

Most of all, I just want us to be good again, meaning top 25 caliber, with quality play that gets us to bowls. We appeared to be FINALLY on the cusp of realizing those goals, and Marrone's departure jeopardizes the momentum.

I sure hope so but it's not like Syracuse is an extremely desirable place to go for most recruits. I really hope we do have a much better class but I'm trying to keep an open mind and our facilities are garbage.
Agreed. An internal hire doesn't fix the facilities problem though. If anything, it might kick the can down the road.

If we're going to be in a big boy football conference we should solve our problems in a big boy way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. An internal hire doesn't fix the facilities problem though. If anything, it might kick the can down the road.

If we're going to be in a big boy football conference we should solve our problems in a big boy way.

Unless they say they can't afford it because we have paid so much for a HC and end up having moderate success.

Part of me wants an internal hire becase I like both Hackett and Shafer as coaches but I also like the prospects of grabbing someone else. Regardless, I will be fully behind the next coach even if I don't agree with the hire. I'll always happily eat crow if it means success for SU.

It's not that hard to do better than the 70th ranked class.

69 teams do it every season.

Whoever the coach is has had trouble bringing in highly ranked classes for like 15 years now.

I think part of it is that success in the northeast seems relative to th programs around us - bc uconn, Buttgers, PSU, Pittsburgh. Every step back for us, is a step forward for them and is a two step swing

Whoever the coach is has had trouble bringing in highly ranked classes for like 15 years now.
Define a system. Recruit the best kids you can to fit the system. Coach them up. Kinda like what was happening the last 4 years.

I don't want it to be interpreted that I don't like Shafer or Hack. I think they're good coaches and I wouldn't have said that about Hack before this season.

If one gets the job after a thorough search I'll feel ok about it.

If one gets hired because we freaked out... hard to feel good about that.

Define a system. Recruit the best kids you can to fit the system. Coach them up. Kinda like what was happening the last 4 years.

Agreed. I was replying to the guy talking about rankings. We haven't had a highly ranked class(top 30 or better) since when? The Rob Konrad class? Maybe one or two since then?

Agreed. I was replying to the guy talking about rankings. We haven't had a highly ranked class(top 30 or better) since when? The Rob Konrad class? Maybe one or two since then?
I'm not suggesting we should be reeling in Top 25 classes.

I am suggesting that if you hire an HC to keep your class intact it should be ranked better than 70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom