Why the short leash with Howard? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why the short leash with Howard?

Ahhh, style points...one of these days G is going to throw down one of these dunks where it looks like he wouldn't even be able to touch the rim without the bailout-foul (he takes off from DEEEEEP at times) and take all the style points the forum has ever had to offer.

He does attack the rim hard. I'll give him that.

He actually did make one of those monster jams recently. Was it against Carolina...or was it Clemson? But yeah, he usually clangs them. Like you said, it's great to watch G when he's in attack mode. I will also add that G has started to do a disappearing act in games too often. We need him to be more consistent. Part of that inconsistency comes from his shaky handle, part of it is he'd be better playing off the ball.

Last edited:
I love how people are so hyper-sensitive to negative comments towards TC that he has basically assumed the role of Syracuse's Lord Voldemort...He Who Shall Not Be Named (if issuing criticisms). Some folks here think TC is the whipping boy but I see him as a sacred cow in these parts for the most part.

It's a chicken or egg argument.

No you weren't.

Yes. I was. Thanks for monitoring the forum though, wannabe CuseHulk Jr.

edit - it was an insanely stupid shot - so stupid that I, a typically intense fan during the games who often freaks out, busted out laughing when he took it. However, i don't truly wonder what would happen if Howard took it....it would never happen because he wouldn't be in the game, wouldn't have the leash to do so, and frankly I think he's got better basketball sense than to do that.

So yes, I was joking, because it was a ridiculous situation that will not likely be repeated. I was making light of how crazy that was.

Last edited:
He actually did make one of those monster jams recently. Was it against Carolina...or was it Clemson? But yeah, he usually clangs them. Like you said, it's great to watch G when he's in attack mode. I will also add that G has started to do a disappearing act in games too often. We need him to be more consistent. Part of that inconsistency comes from his shaky handle, part of it is he'd be better playing off the ball.

He had a very nice one against Clemson. I think the difference was it wasn't on anybody. He tries to dunk on people and he doesn't have that kind of strength, so when there's contact his momentum is stopped and he ends up too far from the rim to dunk it.

He had a very nice one against Clemson. I think the difference was it wasn't on anybody. He tries to dunk on people and he doesn't have that kind of strength, so when there's contact his momentum is stopped and he ends up too far from the rim to dunk it.

Matt Moyer needs to add strength but he loves dunking in guys' grills. He should be fun to watch in that regard. Kid needs to hit the weight room big time but he will posterize some players next year.

Last edited:
Just like Z Sims being buried for 3 years, then no option and he turns out. And J Pace getting run in desperate situation and proving he should be playing. Oh well, keep running high iso's with college kids on offense, thanks Di'Antoni

I agree that Howard won't get the time he needs, but JB should give him more minutes than he will grant the kid. I'm not saying throw in the towel this year but giving him five more minutes a game isn't going to kill us. And honestly, this season is a dead end street, so...

I agree, same deal with Lydon at the five - why limit a talented freshman's developmental opportunities during a lost year?

I know - it's simply bizarre!!

He is better than Cooney or G at threading the needle, and probably has a better feel for the pick-n-roll than either of those two, but my god, it's either a great pass, or an absolutely terrible pass soooo often with him. The terrible passes often come on pretty simple looks too. You have to be encouraged by his feel for the game though - the fact that he's seeing those passes, and making those plays off the bounce, bodes well going forward for his development as an all-around threat on offense.

I think Richardson and Howard are the most natural guards we've had since Scoop and Dion. They look confident and know what the right play is (while the others -- and a couple who have preceded them -- are obviously thinking things through out there).

Unfortunately neither one gets consistent minutes at guard.

It's odd, but Lydon seemed far more engaged offesnively with Howard in the game. It's too hard to judge/pull anything from it with such a limited sample size for the year - but you wonder if it's chemistry from practice?

I think he/Richardson both seem to have a better feel for certain aspects on offense than the more experienced players on the team. They're not there yet, as in obviously they couldn't replace them due to the experience issues, but they seem to have better vision, or at least seem to be more adept at seeing plays develop and anticipating the defense to slip passes through. Another good sign.

Exactly. Should've read ahead.

Ahhh, style points...one of these days G is going to throw down one of these dunks where it looks like he wouldn't even be able to touch the rim without the bailout-foul (he takes off from DEEEEEP at times) and take all the style points the forum has ever had to offer.

He does attack the rim hard. I'll give him that.

My father coined a good one last night - he deemed Gbinije SU's career leader of "violent, unmakeable dunk attempts."

I used to love Triche in that role, but he offered the possibility that some of them might actually go in. With Gbinije, he takes his first hard step and I think "Oh God, he's either going to break the backcourt or injure himself, but there's no way we score on this shot."

My father coined a good one last night - he deemed Gbinije SU's career leader of "violent, unmakeable dunk attempts."

I used to love Triche in that role, but he offered the possibility that some of them might actually go in. With Gbinije, he takes his first hard step and I think "Oh God, he's either going to break the backcourt or injure himself, but there's no way we score on this shot."

MCW used to do it a lot too.

haven't seen many great dunks this year ala hak or grant. and perhaps a little less mustard on some of those bullet passes. secondly keep in mind JB doesn't use his bench to rest his starters or to provide experience and instruction for his younger players. JB's bench is and always has been basically just a penalty box.

I'm no where near as smart a BB mind as Boeheim, but every time I watch FH play the point, I feel like the ball is moving better and players are attacking far more decisively. He's able to make the intelligent passes that aren't that hard (skipping to the guy about to be open when the defense rotates) and some of the difficult ones (looking off the defender when being trapped in the pnr and hitting the open guy). I mean, we couldn't score yesterday at first, we insert Howard, and all of a sudden our guys are getting good looks. I just don't get why Boeheim doesn't see positive things in his play. If he doesn't get any run in the next few games, I'm going to be inconsolable.

I was real happy with the way Gbinije played last night - but that dunk attempt was just awesome. There are just laws of physics that sometimes come into play - but not in Mike's mind!

I was real happy with the way Gbinije played last night - but that dunk attempt was just awesome. There are just laws of physics that sometimes come into play - but not in Mike's mind!

It was good that he took advantage of inferior players - the shot hasn't been falling, so instead of taking 9 of them, why not beat this undersized slow guy to the rim? Smarter game by Gbinije, liked it.

a few years back, I used to think there was another young orange guard who needed playing time to develop his probable skills, esp because he would be needed in the near future

that fine young man became a pariah at lord & taylor and an NBA rookie of the year, yet was still bench buried his first year in Jim's typical too short for my liking rotation

this is not the only such story, but a difference between then and now is our totally unbalanced roster (so eloquently discussed above in this thread). giving Frank more burn at the 1 allows g to play off the ball where he operates better. not saying he would be playing at the end of some of our bad losses, but if we had a more "pure" pg on the floor, we don't make some of the mistakes that we do.
Everything falls into place when Howard plays PG. We had Frankie at the 1, G at the 2, Mal at the 3, Lydon at the 4 (on the wing for D where he belongs), and DC manning the 5 at one point. It kinda blew my mind b/c it made so much sense.

Of course that's not some new revelation, but then again, these kind of thoughts also get shot down and/ or deleted so it kind of is bold in a way.

But anyway, I stick by my belief that Howard needs to be spoon fed developmental minutes.

Cooney (and G actually) play more MPG than Carmelo Anthony did for us.

Apparently JB wasn't impressed with Howard after watching the press conference.

That quote is a classic JB zinger.

Donna: Why the extra minutes for Frank in the first half, was it to get G off the ball?
JB: No, it wasn't for that. It was to try and get Frank to do SOMEthing...but it didn't work.

LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom