Wilder - Fury | Syracusefan.com

Wilder - Fury

SWC75

Bored Historian
What great names for two fighters taking each other on.

My view of the fight: Fury is a vastly under-rated defensive fighter. Everybody looks bad against him because, besides being 6-9 and hard to reach, he's got good reflexes and leans away from punches or blocks them well. he's got a good jab and decent hand speed. He's not a big puncher and tends to clown too much but he's really a very good fighter. Deontay Wilder is a heavyweight Tommy Hearns: all arms and legs but a devastating puncher. He doesn't jab enough and is well named for his punching style. he throws long, looping punches that a good defensive fighter like Fury can avoid. But all he needs to do (normally) is to land one and then the opponent doesn't know where he is. Wilder then overwhelms him with quick and powerful combinations. He's been behind in several of his fights to good boxers but then comes the big bomb and he wins in a knock out.

But Fury frustrated and befuddled Wilder for most of the fight and counter-punched effectively. I had him winning 6 of the 12 rounds with one even. I thought Wilder did enough to win round 2 and Fury kind of took rounds 5 and 6 off. Then Wilder landed the big one in round nine and downed Fury. But Fury, who had been down in three previous fights and come on to win, got up and Wilder was unable to land the violent flurries that had taken out past opponents. He got tired throwing his haymakers and Fury was already making his comeback before the round ended. he resumed control of the fight until midway through the 10th when a desperate Wilders got busy and turned the tide of a round i graded even because each man had won half the round. Then Wilder lander a big right and a left hook that sent Fury toppling over backwards in the 12th. Tyson's head banged against the canvas and he looked out for a few seconds. He got back up. the ref made him walk back and forth and the fight continued. Fury again rallied while Wilder again didn't follow up, partially due to fatigue and partially because he must have assumed that two knockdowns would be enough to win the fight. he was nearly right.

One judge had it 115-111 for Wilder. One had it 114-110 for Fury. the other had it 113-113. I gave Wilder the 2nd, 5th, 6th 9th and 12th with the 10th even but two 10-8 round for the knockdowns. 114-113 for Wilder. Steve Farhood had it 115-112 for Fury on Showtime's broadcast. There were three guys on the announcing crew and one was a boxer whose name I didn't get. This guy went all teddy Atlas and said that the judge who had it for Wilder should never judge a fight again. The tie was like kissing your sister as the two fighters actually kissed and wished each other merry Christmas after the fight.

The inevitable rematch should be sometime next year.

Very weird fight. Wilder coming in at 212lbs wasn't ideal for him. Also seemed to lack cardio. Fury seemed like he was on something, then when he hits the canvas after taking 2 shots, one to each ear, then hopping up like he never fell was weird. Wilder used to throw a nasty jab, don't know what happened for him to stop throwing it. Can't believe now we have to have a rematch of this fight. Was looking forward to Wilder v Joshua.

Very weird fight. Wilder coming in at 212lbs wasn't ideal for him. Also seemed to lack cardio. Fury seemed like he was on something, then when he hits the canvas after taking 2 shots, one to each ear, then hopping up like he never fell was weird. Wilder used to throw a nasty jab, don't know what happened for him to stop throwing it. Can't believe now we have to have a rematch of this fight. Was looking forward to Wilder v Joshua.

Fury vs. Joshua could also be interesting. How about a round robin?

I got in on Wilder -125 a few days ago. Listening to Tessitore this week, saying Fury will stay in close the entire time and be able to beat Wilder that way. This would be the fight for Wilder to bring back his jab, the one that's been missing for many fights now. If he doesn't he should get a new trainer. It'll be interesting to see how both the weight gains affect each fighter.

Looking forward to this one. Very intriguing style matchup.
I agree with ssbriefcase - Wilder is heavy for this one. Could be an indicator. Fury is always overweight - seems to work for him.
I think Fury’s bluster in the promotional pre-fight is just that (“I’m gonna knock him out... go after Wilder this time...”). I think Fury follows same game plan he follows in all his fights - fights “tall,” angles, slides with the feet, feints, arm counters and ties up. Very Klitschko Like... His new trainer was a Manny Stewart disciple...
Wouldn’t be surprised if Wilder goes for the home run quickly this time as well.
I can see it going to either guy. But if forced to pick, I think Wilder starches him early this time...

I wonder if Fury's weight gain will still allow for the fast feet and being dodgy to create the tough angles? Since I felt Wilder was underweight last time, I'm not as concerned, but I hope his cardio is up to the challenge this time. There's a reason this is such a huge fight, either can win. Wilder better have a better game plan then he did for Ortiz, and I think he will due to it being Fury.

I wonder if Fury's weight gain will still allow for the fast feet and being dodgy to create the tough angles? Since I felt Wilder was underweight last time, I'm not as concerned, but I hope his cardio is up to the challenge this time. There's a reason this is such a huge fight, either can win. Wilder better have a better game plan then he did for Ortiz, and I think he will due to it being Fury.
Big weight gain... sounds like he has carried that weight through his entire camp too. If he can make Wilder tie up and force him to hold up his weight that will be a game changer if the fight makes it to the later rounds.

Have to admit, haven’t been this excited for a heavyweight fight in ages.

Have to admit, haven’t been this excited for a heavyweight fight in ages.
Yeah over the past week, I've listened to everyone name what their last big heavyweight fight was. Heard a lot say Tyson vs Lewis. I'd say Tyson but can't remember exactly which I'd pick. So somewhere in the vicinity of 20 years. Way too long.

Yeah over the past week, I've listened to everyone name what their last big heavyweight fight was. Heard a lot say Tyson vs Lewis. I'd say Tyson but can't remember exactly which I'd pick. So somewhere in the vicinity of 20 years. Way too long.
Has to be a Tyson fight, at least for some of us of a certain age.

Always more exciting when it’s the big boys throwing hands. Glad to see the HW division has some juice back, at least for a night.

Agree. It’s great for the sport when the Heavyweights are interesting. And fight each other. Well, at least two of them do (hello Joshua)...
Fury’s preparation is a real wildcard. Changed trainers, looks a bit bigger than normal, saw allot of gym weight work in the promos. Could hurt him...
Good point earlier on Wilder‘s jab too. He needs to use it heavy tonight, at least as a range-finder from distance or Fury could box his ears off... Ortiz 2 game plan (waiting for that one opening) probably won’t work with Tyson.
Good luck with the bet. Would play it the same if I was a gambler...

Agree. It’s great for the sport when the Heavyweights are interesting. And fight each other. Well, at least two of them do (hello Joshua)...
Fury’s preparation is a real wildcard. Changed trainers, looks a bit bigger than normal, saw allot of gym weight work in the promos. Could hurt him...
Good point earlier on Wilder‘s jab too. He needs to use it heavy tonight, at least as a range-finder from distance or Fury could box his ears off... Ortiz 2 game plan (waiting for that one opening) probably won’t work with Tyson.
Good luck with the bet. Would play it the same if I was a gambler...
Yeah, I was mad I didn't get in when Wilder was the underdog 2 weeks ago, thought I had time and the odds changed fast. Oh well makes it interesting still.

Fury totally dominated. He eschewed his normal defensive posture to go after Wilder. Deontay's lack of a jab and combinations finally did him in. he let Fury get off first in every exchange. Fury easily avoid the few haymakers Wilder managed to get off. He decked Wilder in the third and clearly injured him, with blood flowing from Wilder' ear and his jaw swollen. He was never steady after that. He never had the base to launch his famous power shot. When he clinched fury leaned on his with his 273 pounds. The end seemed inevitable. I was amazed that he went on as long as the 7th round. he was still upright when his corner threw in the towel. He was surprised that it ended but accepted the verdict. Clearly, Fury's power was under-rated and too much for Wilder.

I had the second round even. the thrid round was a 10-8 round for Fury. the ref strangely deducted a point from Fury for something in the fifth. He didn't seem alarmed by that because he knew he was going to win. I had it 59-54 into the 7th and final round.

Tyson Fury is now King of the heavyweights and the new face of boxing. his eccentricities and his showmanship should do the sport a lot of good and i don't see who out there can beat him.

Well that sucked (totally opposite of an in depth review like SW). Once he got his ear hit he was out of there. But we get a 3rd. Wilder should change trainers and get his jab back. Good thing you don't bet what u don't have, obviously disappointed. This was a side show to my lightweight- welter though. A lot of great fighters in there.

Agree with commentary above. Never saw that result coming...
Didn’t think that overhand right behind the ear (3rd Rd) would finish Wilder (but it did). No legs or equilibrium after. Maybe all that weight training improved Fury’s punch... Never saw him have “heavy hands” before. He was moving Wilder every time he landed from the opening bell.
Breland made the right call by throwing in the towel. Wilder woulda taken a potentially career eroding beating if he stayed in there.
Wilder needs to go back to the gym and work on technique (jab and footwork) before taking the rematch.
Too bad we won’t see Fury / Joshua next...

I'm grateful for this thread and the bump, though I agree with the majority of fans and the announcers that the first fight was decided incorrectly, which is part of why I correctly predicted the victor of tonight's fight(though I admittedly had no idea Fury was going to change styles that drastically compared to the first fight). Betting was HEAVY on Wilder from what I saw. I believe just a couple of weeks ago he was an underdog, and I know he made it to at least a -130 favorite.

Originally I thought Wilder and his camp might be correct that switching trainers 5 weeks before the match, and moving on from a friend who took you to the highest level in Ben Davison(after being there for you when you were at your lowest and looking to just get back in shape, not even for fighting) may have hurt Fury. Apparently they were incorrect. Fury said he realized the one way he could be certain he wouldn't be shorted by the judges again was to knock WIlder out. His new trainer, Sugar Hill, seems to have taught him a new style rather quickly.

I was happy that Deontay seemed to be speaking well after the fight, and that the ear bleed said to be a cut and not the ruptured ear drum the announcers said. He has 30 days to decide if he wants to invoke the rematch clause right away, at a 40-60 split.

While adding the WBC belt to Ring Magazine's Belt and the lineal belt he never lost, Tyson Fury said he was happy to get the one belt that had always eluded him. When asked about Joshua and his belts, Fury said he's already been the unified title belt holder, and the "alphabet" titles don't mean anything to him anymore. In the build up to this fight, he said he might have 3 fights left in him at most. Those would be this fight, the rematch, and a MMA fight. Might he change his mind? Sure, but this is one guy who is cut from a different cloth, and whom I wouldn't be quick to dismiss as just increasing his price the way one could more easily do with other fighters.

Though many in here are likely familiar, the lineal belt holder is known as "the man who beat the mean". After beating Klitschko and winning the lineal belt, Fury never lost it unlike his other belts when he was retired for awhile. Besides being born very underweight, he's also battled suicidal depression and anxiety for a long time, and after becoming the champ alchohol and other drugs were another battle he faced. This caused Fury to retire, gain a massive amount of weight, and care very little for his life. I'm glad he beat his demons and completed one of the most epic comebacks in the history of sports. If Wilder had won tonight, he would have become the 45th lineal champ. Yes, that means the world still has the 44th lineal champ, Tyson Fury.

Last edited:
When I saw Eric15 make the post about Tyson weighing so little when he was born, I wondered if he had seen this fairly quick summary of Tyson's life and career(under 15 minutes), which is where I heard that. Many might not be familiar with how close we came to no longer having him with us(in multiple ways), before he turned his life around.

During one of his tune up fights, I remember Fury saying he fought for all of the people with anxiety and depression. He wanted to be their voice, and to give them hope.

Although this is Fury's moment in the sun, for anyone who isn't familiar with why Deontay WIlder got into boxing, this is a nice 4 minute clip. After the match is was nice to see that daughter there with other family members.

For anyone who didn't see it, or who wants to watch it again, here is the whole fight. Between rounds there are 30 seconds of nothingness you may wish to skip through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom