Wildhack Press Conference | June 28 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Press Conference | June 28

There are expectations or the reality of the current situation or the reality of the past 20 years depending on how you would like to look at it. I don't care about Addazio or BC nor I am thrilled with what has transpired the last 20 years with regard to the football program
Don't think WF has more to offer than us and they've been pretty darn good.

On top of the record, the games haven't been all that close. Dino has the better of only 3 teams, vs 10 teams getting the better of him.

VA Tech (2-0) 26.5 to 36
GA Tech (1-0) 20 to 37
Duke (1-1) 22 to 36.5
BC (3-3) 27.2 to 24.2
UNC (1-1) 34 to 23
Wake (2-4) 37.3 to 30.5
FSU (1-4) 29.4 to 23
NC State (1-5) 33.7 to 25.3
Pitt (1-5) 37.2 to 28.2
Clemson (1-5) 35 to 15.2
Louisville (1-5) 44.7 to 21.5
Miami (0-1) 27 to 19
Notre Dame (0-3) 43.7 to 19
Dino has not had a very good staff, He is a poor in game manager and doesnt adjust at half time very well or manage the clock well. He is a good Culture guy.

On top of the record, the games haven't been all that close. Dino has the better of only 3 teams, vs 10 teams getting the better of him.

VA Tech (2-0) 26.5 to 36
GA Tech (1-0) 20 to 37
Duke (1-1) 22 to 36.5
BC (3-3) 27.2 to 24.2
UNC (1-1) 34 to 23
Wake (2-4) 37.3 to 30.5
FSU (1-4) 29.4 to 23
NC State (1-5) 33.7 to 25.3
Pitt (1-5) 37.2 to 28.2
Clemson (1-5) 35 to 15.2
Louisville (1-5) 44.7 to 21.5
Miami (0-1) 27 to 19
Notre Dame (0-3) 43.7 to 19

It is beyond annoying that mediocre programs like NIT State, Pitt, and Llvll have run train on us during Dino's tenure.

I don't 'mind' so much that teams like Clemson, ND, FSU have our number -
they beat the majority of teams in the conference, more often than not.

But we need to at least split our series over time with peer teams like Wake, Pitt, and NC State.

Simply splitting with only BC is not sufficient.

It's amazing to me that many here made fun of the constant 6-6 Addazio seasons at BC and now 5-7 isn't considered a failure. Our expectations should be to finish at least .500 most years with some better seasons mixed in there. The schedule should be easier with the 3-5-5 and we put 2 gimmes in every year. Even Shafer went 4-4 in the conference one year.
Put that in context though. Meaning, Dino's situation this year.

It is beyond annoying that mediocre programs like NIT State, Pitt, and Llvll have run train on us during Dino's tenure.

I don't 'mind' so much that teams like Clemson, ND, FSU have our number -
they beat the majority of teams in the conference, more often than not.

But we need to at least split our series over time with peer teams like Wake, Pitt, and NC State.

Simply splitting with only BC is not sufficient.

Long term FSU, yes. But the years we played them their ACC records have been the below. Totally unacceptable to be 1-4 against them.

Total 19-21

2016 5-3
2017 3-5
2018 3-5
2019 4-4
2021 4-4

IMO we should have at least split vs BC and Wake. We should have won at least 1/3 against Pitt, NC State, Louisville, FSU. Dino should be no worse than 14-22 against those 6 teams. He has gone 9-26 against them.

Agreed.

I said the same thing ad nauseum last year. I jumped off the Dino wagon at that time. Don't get me wrong; he is still the coach so I'm hoping like crazy for him to turn it around, but until shown otherwise I don't have faith that he will. I can still hope and be optimistic, because what other choice do I have?

The thing that has always struck me about Dino is that he has never been this far before as a head coach. He had a nice record for two years at Eastern IL, largely with players he didn't recruit. Then he had a nice two year record at BG, again largely with players he didn't recruit.

At neither school did he stay long enough to build a program

He had to punch in a higher weight class with the move to SU, and although he had one really historic year in Year 3, he has yet to build a successful program at SU either. The whole "consistently good" standard that he set for the program. We can argue among ourselves what success should look like at SU but let's not forget that Dino himself told us what it should be.

A number of reasons to be optimistic this off-season but when all is said and done, we need to see success and we need to see a functioning program going forward. Fingers crossed for both.

Perhaps the biggest problem I have is our lack of success vs our peers during Dino's tenure; our fellow ACC schools and some of the schools within the conference that we compare closest to.

You can spin schedules, OOC foes, etc all you want, but our performance in-conference has been putrid. Except for our magical year when we were good (and went 6-2 in the ACC), we have not won more than 2 conference games in a season. Those seasons were 2-6,2-6,2-6,1-9 (ND counted as ACC game), and 2-6.

It gets even worse. Except for GT, whom we have only played once, we have a winning record only against VT (2-0). All of these records include the magical season. We are .500 vs BC, Duke and UNC (both of whom we have only played twice). The rest is very grim. 1-5 vs Louisville. 2-4 vs Wake. 1-5 vs Clemson. 1-5 vs NC St. 1-4 vs FSU. 1-5 vs Pitt. Etc.

We have won more than 2 conference games only once in six years. We only have a winning record vs VT (and GT) and we have sucked canal water vs most of the rest.

"But, but, some of those teams were good! Our division of the conference was harder!" Yeah? Here's a cookie and your blanket. Get over it and put on your big boy pants. This is the ACC we are talking about, not the SEC. There is simply no way to spin four 2-6 conference records and one 1-9 in six seasons. I fully admit that Clemson, FSU, and now Miami treat football more like SEC schools do. We should still have a better record than we do against them. As for the rest? No excuse to be a doormat.

To me, that is the thing that needs to change the most. We might need to walk before we can run with regard to the overall record, but we simply have to do better in-conference.

Exceptional posts! Don't forget the "4th year, 3rd game," 'close your eyes' etc., etc, garb as well.

In my opinion, it is really as clear as day for anyone to see, other than those whom continually can't help themselves but to view the totality of Dino's tenure to date, and all that that encompasses, through their own compromised lenses.

Last edited:
Dino is very fortunate. He caught lightning in a bottle with Eric and capitalized on it.
JW decided to spend a fraction of what firing Dino and the current staff would have cost on upgrading the staff which is money well spent. The kids seem to really like and respect Dino which is huge in todays NIL and Portal environment. Let Dino manage culture and let the OC and DC manage the X and Os and we might have a solid combination.
Agree as long as Dino allows the OC and DC to manage the X and Os.

Their roster is loaded with in-state talent. Like just about every other ACC school not named us or BC.
The best talent goes to UNC and Nc State. Then you have to fight with Duke for the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. Which Im sure they are winning that battle now.

The best talent goes to UNC and Nc State. Then you have to fight with Duke for the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. Which Im sure they are winning that battle now.

I looked last year, it's the same big high schools year after year where they can pull guys. We just don't have that.

And fwiw (maybe not much) Wake is pretty hot in applications these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom