Wildhack Presser July 9... | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Presser July 9...

I simply don't believe some of these statements.

Care to clarify as to which ones?

JW always seems to be a pretty straight shooter, even if much of what he says are "no statement-statements", as is the nature of his job.

Care to clarify as to which ones?

JW always seems to be a pretty straight shooter, even if much of what he says are "no statement-statements", as is the nature of his job.

Maybe he’s taking it literal that nobody mentioned starting basketball in January specifically, but if he’s ~ 3 months out from the normal start of the season and hasn’t had any conversations about contingency plans to account for a postponed/modified season for the flagship program of the athletic department then that’s borderline incompetence.

And I don’t think he’s incompetent so I think he’s doing what most college administration members who speak publicly are doing across the county for the past few months and that’s exude as much confidence as possible to try and create as much stability as possible.

I don’t get it. Just say nothing if you are still optimistic about football this fall.
College athletics are amateur athletics.

If colleges can’t support one year of no revenue from athletics then they can’t be called amateur athletics just pay the players then.

If the kids were getting paid then playing in empty stadiums is fine since there are other ways to make revenue but if the kids aren’t getting paid then the risks are purely selfish. I don’t care if they are auditioning for professional sports most of them are not going pro.

College athletics are non-essential since they aren’t pro sports. I get they make schools revenue but these leaders just need to swallow their pride and just the sport back to the spring. If they can get crowds in the spring then the sports will make some of that revenue back.

Do I want college football? Yes.

Does it make sense for college football in this current climate? No.

I don't understand how they can be working on keeping football happening this fall, and then promptly say they have no way of knowing if basketball can be possible, several months later on.

Once the Patriot League cancels football (and i suspect they will), Syracuse will have to change their tune about football because their schedule will have become compromised disproportionately to other ACC Schools.

I'm with ALSACS i'm very very bearish on a season happening. I suspect the school is buying time right now with these non statements because they are waiting for other shoes to drop to make their decisions easier to digest

everyone afraid of the liability now. BUT no one really cared that Brian Kelly and DJ Durkin have literally killed kids. Where was the regret for pushing the competitive envelope so hard then ?

Maybe he’s taking it literal that nobody mentioned starting basketball in January specifically, but if he’s ~ 3 months out from the normal start of the season and hasn’t had any conversations about contingency plans to account for a postponed/modified season for the flagship program of the athletic department then that’s borderline incompetence.

And I don’t think he’s incompetent so I think he’s doing what most college administration members who speak publicly are doing across the county for the past few months and that’s exude as much confidence as possible to try and create as much stability as possible.
Yup.

everyone afraid of the liability now. BUT no one really cared that Brian Kelly and DJ Durkin have literally killed kids. Where was the regret for pushing the competitive envelope so hard then ?

Because those situations are completely different? In this instance every kid across the country is theoretically at risk, where as in those situations coaches went way the heck overboard and a kid died. That was not happening at every institution across the country.

Arguing that penalties should have happened for the coaches of kids who died on their watch is a completely different story.

As much as I cannot wait for OttoinGrotto to see Brian Kelly & DJ Durkin in hell, these deaths (as awful as they were) are not remotely the same things as dealing with a lethal, highly contagious virus -
clearly even you can see that?

I believe that the delay in decisions are because the AD's don't know what the decisions will be. This is serious stuff and the decisions are being made by the Board of Directors (formerly known as the Presidents/Chancellors). :confused:

As much as I cannot wait for OttoinGrotto to see Brian Kelly & DJ Durkin in hell, these deaths (as awful as they were) are not remotely the same things as dealing with a lethal, highly contagious virus -
clearly even you can see that?

Of course I can see that I just like to troll a little. But I'm also in the camp that football should be played.

I don't understand how they can be working on keeping football happening this fall, and then promptly say they have no way of knowing if basketball can be possible, several months later on.
The problem is they can only deal with the situation as it is happening. If they make the football season work then they have lessons learned and can utilize that towards basketball. In 3-4 months, who knows where this environment will be.

I think has is saying is, has he had meaningful conversations about bball starting late. I would think he has talked with bball coaches about and the schedule people. He probably has had side conversations informally with other ADs .. Coaches I know who do winter sports and other ADs done know much of anything yet

I don’t get it. Just say nothing if you are still optimistic about football this fall.
College athletics are amateur athletics.

If colleges can’t support one year of no revenue from athletics then they can’t be called amateur athletics just pay the players then.

If the kids were getting paid then playing in empty stadiums is fine since there are other ways to make revenue but if the kids aren’t getting paid then the risks are purely selfish. I don’t care if they are auditioning for professional sports most of them are not going pro.

College athletics are non-essential since they aren’t pro sports. I get they make schools revenue but these leaders just need to swallow their pride and just the sport back to the spring. If they can get crowds in the spring then the sports will make some of that revenue back.

Do I want college football? Yes.

Does it make sense for college football in this current climate? No.
The money made for the colleges is not directly from the sports. That goes into the AD, which then has to pay the school for scholarships. Without revenue, how do the ADs pay for scholarships?

Wildhack‘s press conference today was pretty disingenuous. A few hours later and all non-conference games cancelled. He mentioned none of it. Where was the update on the Dome renovation? How has testing been going? He said a lot of nothing.

Wildhack‘s press conference today was pretty disingenuous. A few hours later and all non-conference games cancelled. He mentioned none of it. Where was the update on the Dome renovation? How has testing been going? He said a lot of nothing.

Life comes at you fast.

I remember a Swofford press conference at 10 AM one March where he said the ACC Tournament was still being played as scheduled.

It was canceled by Noon.

The money made for the colleges is not directly from the sports. That goes into the AD, which then has to pay the school for scholarships. Without revenue, how do the ADs pay for scholarships?
The ACC gave each school 29.5 million last year.

If we can’t afford to pay the scholarships with that then we have a problem.

The AD could also take out a loan from a bank to pay for the scholarships and with those TV contracts coming in after this pandemic year they have the capital to pay back the loan.

One year of no revenue shouldn’t destroy Athletic departments or they spend too much money.

Life comes at you fast.

I remember a Swofford press conference at 10 AM one March where he said the ACC Tournament was still being played as scheduled.

It was canceled by Noon.
This is spot-on Orange Extreme. It's quite possible that JW was completely honest and things changed afterward. It has also come out that the reports of the ACC canceling OOC games were premature and that nothing has been decided yet.
People should stop making character judgments based on incomplete information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom