Wildhack speaks... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack speaks...

I love a good conspiracy theory but something sounds really odd with all of this.

Hop escentially chose Washington over Syracuse and that doesn't make any sense to me at all.
What doesn't make sense? He didn't want to piss off his mentor by forcing him out before he wanted to call it quits and he gets to coach for a sleeping giant that has attracted NBA Lottery picks for quite a few years now. Win-win.

Interesting. So this was a situation where Hopkins simply jumped earlier, due to $$$ and Washington being a good situation? I can certainly understand from a monetary perspective, and also west coast intrinsic benefits for the Hopkins family, but why would he do that when he knows he could take over after next year?

That dialectic is why something doesn't add up in my mind.

Interesting. So this was a situation where Hopkins simply jumped earlier, due to $$$ and Washington being a good situation? I can certainly understand from a monetary perspective, and also west coast intrinsic benefits for the Hopkins family, but why would he do that when he knows he could take over after next year?

the two feet of snow last week finally did him in

I'm sure Hop was thrilled to be vilified by our fanbase the 1st time he failed to reach 20 wins.

Look how we treat the guy with 5 Final Fours and 1 NC. :cool:

Hop was in line to replace JB in 2018. JB was fine with walking away.

Hop was approached by UW and took the job.

JB was extended.
That's the official story. But it makes no sense. The guy who has waited 10 years for this job decides to leave 12 months before he moves into the job. Sorry, not buying it.

It is hard to accept Wildhack's info at face value that the first he knew about this was on Saturday, and that he wasn't clued in beforehand that Hop would depart. If that is really true, then maybe Hopkins surprised them instead of the conspiracy theory about Wildhack granting JB permission to stay on longer, and Hopkins's departure being the consequence of that. Because the alternative is that Wildhack had decided to allow JB to stay, and that this was a decision that was known internally.
Romar was fired on the 15th, Saturday was the 18th. Hop had 2 games to coach in the interim. The timing doesn't surprise or bother me at all.

Romar was fired on the 15th, Saturday was the 18th. Hop had 2 games to coach in the interim. The timing doesn't surprise or bother me at all.

It seems that you missed the point of that statement you quoted. Some have insinuated that Hop got chased away or decided to bail because JB had been told he could stay on as head coach.

If you accept what Wildhack said as fully transparent, then he and the university were caught off guard by Hop's departure. Which implies that JB had NOT been granted an extension prior to Hop leaving, which contradicts the notion that Hop bailed because he wouldn't be the head coach here after next season. Or that he decided to leave because JB wasn't going to step down. Or that the AD wasn't going to stick to the succession plan.

Lots of question marks, and the info coming out isn't clearing many [any?] of them up.

Last edited:
Hop was in line to replace JB in 2018. JB was fine with walking away.

Hop was approached by UW and took the job.

JB was extended.
rse this is correct.

But for these fools on here, it lacks conformity with their own biases and axes to grind.

I may be wrong, especially since its about college sports, but don't perspective employers contact former employers about the prospect? Contact the head coach and/or AD about an assistant interviewing for a job? Also, 3 days from a firing to a new hiring with 2 games being played/coached by the new hire, the timing seems a little strained? Was Washington is such a hurry and Hop such a fine that events went haywire?

So JB has 5 more years and Hop signed a 5 year contract? So in 5 years we'll know if Hop will be our HC or not. Seems like the timing will work out well one way or another.

3f4463f113a4efc203450b1ab9c7de3e99f5bf6676416a6b975d0cdafe6ccc36.jpg

I may be wrong, especially since its about college sports, but don't perspective employers contact former employers about the prospect? Contact the head coach and/or AD about an assistant interviewing for a job? Also, 3 days from a firing to a new hiring with 2 games being played/coached by the new hire, the timing seems a little strained? Was Washington is such a hurry and Hop such a fine that events went haywire?

Wildhack said that Sunday was the first time he had heard Hop had accepted the job.

What he did not say was when was the first time you knew Hop was interviewing for the UW job or when were you aware Hop was interviewing or interested in any jobs.

Tells me JB wants to continue coaching and Hop knew it. Hop wanted to start his head coaching career and didn't want to be the one to push out Boehiem.
This is my take on it.
Plus, sounds like a great opportunity for Hop at UW to build a program that's his and he won't be in JB's shadow there. (and maybe more $$?)

This is my take on it.
Plus, sounds like a great opportunity for Hop at UW to build a program that's his and he won't be in JB's shadow there. (and maybe more $$?)
Assistant Michael Porter Sr. was making more than a lot of head coaches, so I imagine you're right about the money. The six year commitment can't hurt either.

Assistant Michael Porter Sr. was making more than a lot of head coaches, so I imagine you're right about the money. The six year commitment can't hurt either.
Yeah, 6 years gives him time to turn things around at UW and he doesn't to worry about winning right away.
Can you imagine how many would be calling for his head if his win/loss record the first year or two at SU were worse than this years?

Channeling Hillary "What difference does it make." We got to hear JB's truth and Wildhack's truth so there you go. JB has always had a plank in his eye (for all you Bible people out there)

This is my take on it.

Hop knew what the UW contract was (6 years, Big $). He might have also known what the SU contract might be (Yrs and $). He also knew how hard a job it was going to be to get SU into the upper tier of the ACC.

He made a business decision. He has six years (and a lot of money) to make UW competitive in the PAC12.

Maybe he looked at the 6,000 people in the stands at the first NIT game and said, "There's going to be no satisfying these morons."

Yeah, 6 years gives him time to turn things around at UW and he doesn't to worry about winning right away.
Can you imagine how many would be calling for his head if his win/loss record the first year or two at SU were worse than this years?
I imagine they would be calling for his head if his win/loss record was better. It's always something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom