Will anything change the next few years other than the talent level? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Will anything change the next few years other than the talent level?

Our offensive system is outdated by a decade and a half. We don’t value passing and shooting nearly enough.

Just hoping (much like your lament the other day) that with an infusion of talent next season we can somehow scheme up/generate some open looks and/or easy shots. We’ll see.

Disagree, but I can see your point. The only true reason to catch Frank's eye on that play is to applaud him. As a program, we should want that transition opportunity as often as we can get it. I am just not certain that 72 y.o. JAB jibes with 52 y.o. JAB. He's gotten so much more conservative with age. We all do, but it's almost like JAB is consumed by defense now. It's as if in his mind, they cannot score while we have the ball, so let's hold it for 23 seconds and then see what we can make happen (paging Tyus!). So anytime we "shoot early" in the shot clock, it had better work or else JAB's going to have to correct someone.

The problem here is that unless Jimmy tells one of us, we won't know for certain regarding the "catch Frank's eye" thing.

But

You're taking a hyuuuuuuuge leap here with his "eye" thing and connecting it with what you believe is a more conservative coach over the years. It may very well be true he has gotten more conservative, but at the same time, I believe you could debate it both ways and be successful.

On another note, down with NCtit

Some women call me handsome, the others just think it

True. They gotta draw up better stuff or something. Cooney ran around for his life and it was super hard to get him good looks. Hell, Andrew White shot tons of contested shots. I remember watching some of those good Baylor teams a few years ago. Also, a 2-3 zone team with athletes. They somehow got one of their few shooters (Brady Heslip) clean looks all the time!
in his three seasons, heslip averaged 225 three point shots per year. in the three years that cooney got a lot of run, he averaged 243.
the problem does not lie in generating looks.

in his three seasons, heslip averaged 225 three point shots per year. in the three years that cooney got a lot of run, he averaged 243.
the problem does not lie in generating looks.

Depends on what the looks are! Tons of contested threes or fadeaway 25 footers are bogus. Of course the coach rarely seems to have a problem with our looks and the quality of them so bombs away.

Last edited:
Depends on what the looks are! Tons of contested threes or fadeaway 25 footers are bogus.
i don't have the data to support it, but i believe those kind of looks are far fewer than you think (and you don't have the data to support to the opposite, either)

i don't have the data to support it, but i believe those kind of looks are far fewer than you think (and you don't have the data to support to the opposite, either)

Haha, well played. I just think the majority of us (if being honest) remember Cooney running around like a madman trying to get free/clean looks. I’ll leave it at that and I was a Cooney fan. Heaves and off balance curls with a dude draped all over him don’t count.

Haha, well played. I just think the majority of us (if being honest) remember Cooney running around like a madman trying to get free/clean looks. I’ll leave it at that and I was a Cooney fan. Heaves and off balance curls with a dude draped all over him don’t count.
my take on you is that you see what you want to see and remember what you want to remember

my take on you is that you see what you want to see and remember what you want to remember

Wow way to turn this into something shallow and belittle. Let the battle continue between us!

jb has his young, injury riddled team a game out of 4th place in the loss column
The ACC is terrible this year and we're losing to the bottom teams in the league...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom