Will Judah run it back again? (again) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Will Judah run it back again? (again)

There’s a strong likelihood we’re a tourney team next year.

If you’re saying he’ll go to a no doubt tourney team, how many of those will have 30+ minutes available at PG?
There are always opportunities for a player as talented as Judah. Always will be. I have no problems with an Alpha player demanding the ball in his hands. We have talented players, Judah is the most talented of the bunch, perfect, no but he is our best player. I want my best guys with the ball, he just needs to keep working.

I'll probably get cooked by some for this, but I expected more out of Judah this year. He hasn't even been our best player and there's an argument to be made he's been our 3rd best player since conference play started. The inefficient scoring and lack of passing or pushing the ball drives me nuts.

I'll probably get cooked by some for this, but I expected more out of Judah this year. He hasn't even been our best player and there's an argument to be made he's been our 3rd best player since conference play started. The inefficient scoring and lack of passing or pushing the ball drives me nuts.
You shouldn't get cooked. You hit the nail on the head.

I agree with all points. He has flashy moves but as you posted, the inefficient scoring and lack of passing or pushing the ball drives a lot of us nuts. His major talent depends on the calls he gets on any given night. I for one am ready to see how we play as a team without his iso ball offense and sporadic defense.

So, ask yourself why? What's different between this year and last?

I'll probably get cooked for this, but these things are different:
* the coach
* the system

I won't get cooked for this, but these things are also different.
* his surrounding players

I just don’t understand how he went through the draft process and doesn’t appear to have worked on any of the items I imagine they told him he needed improvement on to be a complete point guard.

Exactly why I posted. I'm really torn. Your comment about him being the 3rd best player on our team some games also highlights how good we could be next year.

Judah is 3rd in ACC in points, Assists, and Steals this year. I usually don't care about stats if we're not winning games but the NBA might.

I just don’t understand how he went through the draft process and doesn’t appear to have worked on any of the items I imagine they told him he needed improvement on to be a complete point guard.

Maybe he has people close to him filling his head with delusional thoughts of how great he is. If only he had a better surrounding cast, everyone else would see his greatness.

So, ask yourself why? What's different between this year and last?

I'll probably get cooked for this, but these things are different:
* the coach
* the system

I won't get cooked for this, but these things are also different.
* his surrounding players
Maliq is actually more efficient than Jesse. The forwards are the same. JJ is a bit worse than Joe from an efficiency standpoint, but it's not that. He doesn't appear to want to run or pass on the break. This has zero to do with Red.

Exactly why I posted. I'm really torn. Your comment about him being the 3rd best player on our team some games also highlights how good we could be next year.

Judah is 3rd in ACC in points, Assists, and Steals this year. I usually don't care about stats if we're not winning games but the NBA might.
If Cope is on the court with Judah who should be the point guard?

Among players in the ACC with more than 70 FGA in conference play (56 total players), he's also 2nd in minutes played, 3rd in turnovers, 12th in FGA, 46th in FG% and 48th in effective FG% (takes into account FTs). He has been, suprisingly to me, been really good at distributing the ball by assist numbers. That wouldn't be my guess based on watching the games, so the eyetest fails me there.

I'm glad he came back, I guess, probably saved a couple of wins, which maybe keeps this team over .500 in ACC play? But hasn't really pushed the team into a tourney spot, so I don't think much has been really gained. The hallmark of a mediocre team. Not awful, but not good enough for anything. But I also don't particularly care for the offensive philosophy at SU, which seems very dependent on guys creating their own shot and taking lots of them regardless of how efficient they are.

JJ is a bit worse than Joe from an efficiency standpoint, but it's not that.
Funny enough, in conference play (among players with more than 70 FGA) JG3 ranks 17th in 3% (38.7% on 62 attempts) and JJ is 18th (38.5% on 52 attempts). I did not see that happening based on what we saw through December.

Also, JJ has a 113.9 Drtg and JG3 has a 115.7 Drtg.

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

I guess the upside is that we get at least another year of JJ and JG3 is done. So it was a trade for more years under team control?

One thing that I’m surprised hasn’t been mentioned more is that a lot of these super senior Covid kids are finally done in March. Mr Bacot who’s pushing 30ish and Cormac Ryan who know joke is actually 25. Beekman. Even that Tenn team in Hawaii had 2 5th year guys and 3 juniors in their starting lineup. I pull this out a lot but when we caught UNC Bacot had more double doubles than our entire roster had combined starts.

I’m not playing the youth card anymore but in November noncon it matters and on the road.

Point being judah would be leading a team of juniors next year instead of a bunch of 19 year olds that had to play 5 year college guys many of whom should’ve moved on from college but didn’t cuz they can get paid NIL and chase a Natty.

Something to think about.
This is going to be the last offseason with covid kids….the transfer portal is going to be insane in a few months.

I don’t get too excited about assists, although I would love to see many more on fast breaks. Hasn't its definition changed over the years?

Funny enough, in conference play (among players with more than 70 FGA) JG3 ranks 17th in 3% (38.7% on 62 attempts) and JJ is 18th (38.5% on 52 attempts). I did not see that happening based on what we saw through December.

Also, JJ has a 113.9 Drtg and JG3 has a 115.7 Drtg.

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

I guess the upside is that we get at least another year of JJ and JG3 is done. So it was a trade for more years under team control?
JJ was bad on defense at Notre Dame. Not sure why so many expected a big improvement to begin with.

An example of this addition by subtraction was when Jonny Flynn left and the 2009/2010 team did not seem to miss him. But this is a rare example. It is impossible, or at least quite difficult, to predict.
I think the 2010 team would have been fine with Flynn.

I like Judah. He's very talented but has flaws. Some in the know suggested he and Red aren't on the same page and think it's in both parties' interest to part ways.
What? What's the back story? I'd be surprised to hear the relationship is sour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom