Will the ACC excuse our rudeness? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will the ACC excuse our rudeness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interesting replies. Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the lack of cultural unity that is coming.
  • When SU students are singing the "F you up" chorus of the "Rock and Roll Part II" song, how long will it take for the gentry of North Carolina to rue the day they let us into their country club?
  • Can you honestly say you think we'll adopt a southern-friendly attitude of rooting for our fellow conference members? We never have in the past.
  • Can you honestly say you'll be content to say good-bye to the gritty atmosphere of NYC and hello to the fresh-scrubbed perkiness of Greensboro?
  • When Connecticut and Rutgers join us in the ACC, won't there be a contempt for the arrogance of these carpet-bagging yankees down on Tobacco Road?
  • Have you gone out and purchased your new school blazer for the cocktail parties yet?
The point is that there will be a culture clash that will have our new "partners" in a state of shock.

Fortunately, they (and we) won't have to contend with many like you. Grow up or go to your room!:crazy:

The way i see it we still must pay our dues.Would i like the touny in NYC? of course i would.But who am i. Some of you guys think we have the pull to walk into the ACC and demand things.We went to them, they didn't come to us.No wonder they think we are a bunch of asses up here.

I'm pretty excited about some really nice road trips in the future. Frankly, I've toured a lot of the country, but not as much of the South as the Midwest and the West. One of the reasons I wanted the ACC over the Big 10 is that the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia and Florida sound SO much better than Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. I know that I'll be able to get my wife psyched up for fall road trips to the South as our children get older. That means exploring the cultural aspects of each ACC opponent, and all the sights along the way.

And I'm not worried about Syracuse losing its ties with NYC. The conference tournament won't be there every year, or every other probably, but I'm confidant that we'll have plenty of games and tournaments to enjoy there for years to come. And for the record, I love NYC - grit and all. I lived there for years. But I still love my blazers, too! It does not have to be one way or the other!

I'll be around this board whenever you guys are making the roadtrip to give you all some Carolina restaurant, bar, and accommodation tips. There are some truly wondrous places to eat in Raleigh, Cary, Carboro, Chapel Hill, and even Derm. The trick is knowing where and when. I can help with that.

Personally, I would rather have the ACC tourney in NYC. I used to live in Brooklyn, and still have lots of places to stay. I don't really care for Greensboro all that much at all. It's a pretty boring town, with virtually nothing happening ever. But it is where the ACC has their headquarters. It is pretty central for most of our teams. And while it is an unfair advantage for UNC, it certainly isn't for dook. Dook doesn't have that many fans within the state of NC. They would get a better turn out in the Garden. Coach K hates playing the ACC and NCAA tourney in Greensboro or Charlotte. But it doesn't seem to hurt them from winning a lot of ACC tourneys. But I'm down with moving it to NYC. We have had it in DC and Florida in the past. I made to both tourneys, and they really weren't that exciting or well attended.

As far as the OP goes, we aren't that polite in the ACC. Reading your post I feel liking I should be fanning myself with my straw hat to ward off the vapors while I sip my Mint Julip. We are being really nice at the moment because we haven't played you in conference, and we won't for quite a while. Most of us don't wear seersucker and pinstripes to our games (not when tuxedos are so much nicer!). We do like to drink a lot of beer and bourbon, and scream, and embarrass ourselves just like any other fans in the country. And while the Smith Center and the Cameron can be pretty respectful to opposing fans, I wouldn't take any children to see a game at Maryland or NC State. But that's probably because I'm a Tar Heel fan, and State gives it to us worse than anybody else. I love a good rivalry, and the hatred makes us feel more alive I suppose.

So while we are being nice now, but I'm sure an ample amount of douche baggery will be on display soon enough. Don't worry, you won't hurt our polite, southern, hospitable sensibilities too much. We aren't that sheltered. We have had cable for about five or six years now. ;-)

Wow! I'm impressed with the sudden maturity of our fans.
The Big East must have been a bad influence on us.
Since we plan to arrive at our new conference with hat in hand, I guess we're ready to make all the necessary adjustments.
Uh-huh. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.