Will the Additions of SU and Pitt Appeal to ND per ACC Membership? | Syracusefan.com

Will the Additions of SU and Pitt Appeal to ND per ACC Membership?

orangephan

Walk On
Let's look at this scenerio. It's reported that the ACC was actively courting both ND and Texas for membership, but that seems to have cooled recently. That said, the inclusions of both Pitt and SU has to raising some eyebrows in South Bend. I know, if ND goes anywhere, the likelihood is the B1G. But let's look at this under the microscope. Texas to the ACC is a stretch, more likely they eventually consider the PAC or B1G. But ND? Yes, they are a good match for the B1G in many ways, but do they really want to belong to a large land grant university dominated membership? I think the ACC has another agenda for adding Pitt and SU. Both have strong relationships and traditional rivalies with ND. Do you think the ACC's newest members will be tasked to lobby the Irish to come along for the ride? ND flirted with an invite back in '04. Now the seizmic shift may accelerate ND's decision on conference membership, which is inevitable. Aside from geography, which is now irrelevent in today's conference landscape, ND fits the ACC member model to a tee, especially as a northern member. If they shock the collegiate world and come in as #15, UConn likely would fill out the ACC super conference. The B1G, as stated previously, could add Mizz, KU AND Texas. RU would be an afterthought at #16 to load balance the East and provide PSU a playmate. Thoughts and comments?

I think that Rutgers may be out in the cold BIG10 wise without having SU or UConn to go with them.

Not sure our history with Notre Dame is that significant:

Notre Dame (IN) 3 3 0 0.50000 101 113 -12

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/bigeast/syracuse/opponents.php

Though Pitt's history with Notre Dame may have some influence:

Notre Dame (IN) 20 45 1 0.31061 943 1818 -875

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/bigeast/pittsburgh/opponents.php

Notre Dame may want the same deal they have with the Big East to go to the ACC. They really wish to remain independent in football as long as possible. Their other sports are worth offering them the same deal, and they play lacrosse so we could have an AQ bid in lacrosse (as if the ACC would need it).

Rutgers may be in trouble as they may not have a landing spot. It's hard to see the B1G 10 wanting them if they stink in football (and basketball).

Notre Dame may want the same deal they have with the Big East to go to the ACC. They really wish to remain independent in football as long as possible. Their other sports are worth offering them the same deal, and they play lacrosse so we could have an AQ bid in lacrosse (as if the ACC would need it).

Rutgers may be in trouble as they may not have a landing spot. It's hard to see the B1G 10 wanting them if they stink in football (and basketball).

ND's cache helped the BE survive bowl-wise. Not sure the ACC has to bend over for them, bowl-wise. I say F 'em. All in, or all out. Nice to be in a position or (relative) strength for a change.

N Dame can stick their B East deal up their bum bums!

Yes, Pitt's relationship with ND is stronger. However, todays move by Pitt and SU has obviouly pissed them off(collective, 'Ohhh, doesn't that just suck?'). With the college sports landscape rapidly changing, their demand for FB independence and high stakes BCS championship consideration is diminishing quickly. With the eminent arrival of the super conference, ND's position as an indy BCS player is now threatened and compromised. They will have to make a conference membership decision sooner, rather than later. Asking for a non-FB membership would be a stop-gap move for them, IMO. They will be threatened for full membership eventually, it's just a numbers game. Oh yeah, I'll echo similar sentiments here, F 'em! As far as RU goes, I'm being kind to think they'd be the B1G #16, but they have been seriously considered before for reasons other then competitive value.

The landscape is changing - and fast. ND is a better cultural fit with the ACC than Big 10. Geographically the Big 10 makes somewhat more sense, but travel to ACC sites wouldn't be much different than to the OBE. Let them keep their NBC $ deal until that contract expires. Maybe let them play one less cross-divisional team for the next 10 years so they have more flexibility to maintain some traditional rivalry. At the end of the NBC contract (year?) then they are all-in and if they don't go all-in in every way it costs them $20M to get out.

Big East still has options to keep a football conference together if no other conference comes calling to swipe West Virginia, UConn or Rutgers. Central Florida, Houston, SMU may all get a call now. ND loves the Big East for all other sports and could care less about the football part. I could see them staying affiliated as long as the other high profile basketball schools stay intact.

I don't think ND has very many options now if FB independence is that important to them. I'd say landing KU, KSU and Mizz is critical to both BE FB and BB. Landing UCF, Hou and SMU is stop-gap and makes the BE the 'be'without those B12 additions. Even with both B12 cast-offs and the CUSA additions, it's a dilluted conference. IMO, ND should stay in a dilluted BE because it's what the selfish bastards deserve.