Will we be on the bubble next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will we be on the bubble next year?

Will we be on the bubble next year?

• Yes

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 44 59.5%

• Total voters
Bubble yes. If OB back possibly a little better. A lot is going to depend on how good Hughes is off the bounce. I’m not worried about Carey. There’s a cap on a team where Frank is asked to do too much WITH the ball. If others can penetrate well where he can just distribute, not get in the way, and maybe have Carey and others set HIM up for threes then I think we should hover around the bubble. The loss of Bazely from a basketball standpoint is huge though obviously no matter how you slice it. He would’ve opened up the floor, helped out with ballhandling, played downhill, etc.

My real concern is that IF we don’t add more bodies who can actually play then we’re woefully thin again. That means Boeheim is going to slow it down again and stall on offense. Just because we got by and snuck into Tournament with a thin roster doesn’t mean it should be the norm.
9 scholarship players is not a thin roster. I'd grant you it would be nice to have another big man. But I also agree with others that we shouldn't bring in someone just to have a warm body on the bench.
Will Bourama and/or Washington be ready in the Fall? That could have more bearing on the team's results than anything particularly in Bourama's case.

9 scholarship players is not a thin roster. I'd grant you it would be nice to have another big man. But I also agree with others that we shouldn't bring in someone just to have a warm body on the bench.
Will Bourama and/or Washington be ready in the Fall? That could have more bearing on the team's results than anything particularly in Bourama's case.

I hear you but we need some insurance I think in case some guys aren’t ready like Bourama. If Hughes, Buddy, and Carey aren’t as advertised then they won’t be playing much and we’re still ‘thin’ per se. Those three especially Hughes/Carey better be ready to ball from the get-go.

I like our team next season and if we stay healthy I'd say the 6-8 seed range is where I see us ending up but 1 or 2 crucial injuries to the wrong people and we are not in good shape so I really wouldn't mind the staff going the grad transfer route so no future scholarship is being taken, regardless of the potential we have that's all it is right now because we have plenty of areas where there will be question marks although I'm optimistic with a lot of the questions I have. Will Marek develop his offensive game and be consistent with it along with hitting the weight room and bulking up? The effort is always going to be there but if he becomes a consistent force then watch out. I feel It'd be nice for Frank to work off ball a bit and make teams worry about his versatility when he gets the ball out on the perimeter, he's already a proven player and hopefully elevates his game even more next season, Hughes I think is going to be great (would a FH, JC, EH lineup work?) but we need to see it and I think we will, Jalen Carey is someone I've always been high on, I think he can fit in nicely whatever his role ends up being to but being a freshman you really never know I guess. I already think Pascal is hurt all the time with how he comes down from his jump especially when off balance so that's just something I personally worry about, Sidibe obviously needs a successful surgery but he has loads of potential.

2015-16 season-“Our roster is thin with 9 guys because of the sanctions”

2018-19 season-“9 guys is not a thin roster”

Whatever fits in the effort to defend JB...

I understand it's slim pickings but if the staff really does not try to get someone else, it is a mistake of epic proportions. Here's the thing: the staff should've been guns blazing to add a 4/5 type before Bazley bailed. Some of us were saying that.

I understand it's slim pickings but if the staff really does not try to get someone else, it is a mistake of epic proportions. Here's the thing: the staff should've been guns blazing to add a 4/5 type before Bazley bailed. Some of us were saying that.

Not adding another player would be a massive failure

I think we need TWO guys

You mean we should have tried to replace Thompson. Who the staff got a pass for leaving because of his mom?

Bazley wasn’t replacing Thompson.
How we can’t have a rotation of
3 primary guards
A 4th development guard
3 primary forwards
A 4th development forward
2 primary centers
A 3rd development center
With a wildcard is beyond me.

This is 12 scholarship players and within our realm even with penalties.

It hasn’t happened since 2012.
That is 6 years ago now.

We finally got the guard depth and we don’t have any forward/center depth.

You mean we should have tried to replace Thompson. Who the staff got a pass for leaving because of his mom?

Bazley wasn’t replacing Thompson.
How we can’t have a rotation of
3 primary guards
A 4th development guard
3 primary forwards
A 4th development forward
2 primary centers
A 3rd development center
With a wildcard is beyond me.

This is 12 scholarship players and within our realm even with penalties.

It hasn’t happened since 2012.
That is 6 years ago now.

We finally got the guard depth and we don’t have any forward/center depth.

Nothing to do with Thompson. Just a guy who could play the 4/5 and give us depth up front, considering the question marks of Bourama's health and Chukwu. Ideally it would/ would've been a guy who could slide to the 4 and give us some production. A mobile big, in other words, who can just catch the ball, rebound and convert easy chances... And develop over a few years.

Nothing to do with Thompson. Just a guy who could play the 4/5 and give us depth up front, considering the question marks of Bourama's health and Chukwu. Ideally it would/ would've been a guy who could slide to the 4 and give us some production. A mobile big, in other words, who can just catch the ball, rebound and convert easy chances... And develop over a few years.

Rick jackson would be the perfect player to add to this squad

Yeah, maybe. I wish we had gone harder after Valdir Manuel. We were too late to that party.

My comment about 9 not being a thin roster was more in comparison to this year when we couldn't have been more thin.

My comment about 9 not being a thin roster was more in comparison to this year when we couldn't have been more thin.

I'm not sure what comment you're referring to.

Our two centers are foul and injury prone. We need another center .

Eh, I saw him at the Basketball Tournament in person in Baltimore this summer. He's fat and slow now.

Eh, I saw him at the Basketball Tournament in person in Baltimore this summer. He's fat and slow now.

I'm pretty sure he means in his college prime.

we don't even know who will be on the roster but a bunch of posters have a magic crystal ball to predict next years record. interesting.

Yeah, maybe. I wish we had gone harder after Valdir Manuel. We were too late to that party.
I wonder if our chances would have been better had Bazley de-committed before Manuel made his decision.

This is Syracuse. Too early to tell. We won't even know what our conference-play roster will look like until December.

If Sadibe is healthy, and we decide to actually pass ball down low like Duke game, we will open up 3 point shots and drives to basket for Carey, Hughes, and Frank. Huge fan of Sadibe and if everyone but Battle is back we can do damage. Excited for next years team if we return what’s left. Keep hearing how good Hughes is and big steps for Marek, Brissett, and Chukwu. If Carey comes in and excels more than we think, we could really do well. Go Su.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom