Will winning it all silence Boeheim's critics? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Will winning it all silence Boeheim's critics?

It didn't last time. The theory offered by his critics is that Carmelo Anthony won it for us and any coach would have won it with him. It would be interesting to see what they come up with this time. There certainly isn't a Carmelo Anthony on this team.

I think this is exactly point number 1 in the argument. I don't believe any of us think that MCW will be the scoring phenom at the next level that Melo is. If JB can take this current roster of great role players with one potential NBA guy to the promised land, it will be his best coaching that gets them there.

This.
JB's use of the zone with the national attention it is getting now it absolutely amazing. No one is even discussing the offense .. its incredible. No one is doing what he is doing .. changing the way the game is played .. a great coach and great innovator. When he retires I am going to be one very very sad dude.

And this is reason number 2 in the argument. This shift toward the zone has been ongoing over the last 4-5 years from what I'm seeing. You've got long-time man only teams like Georgetown and Duke implementing it - that's huge especially when the current dean of college coaches - K - iw taking lessons directly from JB himself.

Depends on which critics you want silenced, I guess. Another title cements Boeheim as a great among greats. Top 10 all-time coaches. 4 final fours, 2 national titles and 900+ wins

I don't think anyone is saying he's not a great coach (except maybe Gottleib) - but right now I think Boeheim is on the outside of top-10 all-time. Another title (or two!) will put him in the inner circle.

Agreed, it depends on which critics. People who know college hoops, Katz, Gottlieb, Seth Davis etc probably would admit to JB being one of the alltimers.

The Bomani Jones's of the world...who cares..?

We can't deny that JB's record in NCAA tournaments is much worse than you would expect, given all the regular-season success he's had. If he gets a 2nd title and a few more FFs, all you're left to complain about is his style and other nit-picking.
I think you have a typo there. You meant nose-picking, didn't you?

It's unlikely that critics looking for material to support their outlook will ever stop working JB, but I'd be happy if we as fans would quit looking for openings to suggest a change of coaching. A month ago there were many fans calling for JB to retire, discussing alternatives to JB, and analyzing how the game was passing him by.

JB's a bright guy, a great coach, and a student of basketball, but he's not real chatty with the media nor tolerant of fools. He's done well with this team and deserves credit for helping the team grow over the last month. With his experience, I like our chances in the finals and would find it hard to doubt us right now. The next two games should be the best of the year with a peaking Michigan, streaking Wichita State, and a Louisville with a stifling press we have yet to beat consistently. JB has a grand opportunity to make a statement for his own career and legacy and hope things work to his benefit. I want this championship.

You can change JBs resume, but you won't change the haters.
Every good coach that ever lived had their critics from Wooden, Phog Allen, Coach K., Bobby Knight, Izzo, etc. to JB. If he wins another Final Four the critics just won't have as strong a position.

I think it will silence most, if not all of JB's critics. 2 Championships is a lot more than 1. Can't say the tired line of "He wouldn't have any without getting Carmelo"

I like the comment about us playing "clean" defense. Nice term. Good observation, in this era of clutch and grab defense. It's like every team became a clone of the defense of John Thompson the Elder's old Georgetown teams.
some people will dispute the "cleanliness" of the defense . . . basketball officials allow a lot of contact these days, and the Orange benefit from it just like everyone else

grant_g_Watford_syracuse_sl_640.jpeg

some people will dispute the "cleanliness" of the defense . . . basketball officials allow a lot of contact these days, and the Orange benefit from it just like everyone else

Well, there's a reason that we commit fewer fouls than opponents. I think we play differently from other teams because of the zone. It's a lot more about waving arms rather than bodying up on shooters.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. I love our defense as much as the next guy, but Triche and MCW get their hands into the mix very often and Brandon could be called for even more fouls with the way he fights over picks and keeps one hand on the ball handler and moves him ever so slightly in the process.

Well, there's a reason that we commit fewer fouls than opponents. I think we play differently from other teams because of the zone. It's a lot more about waving arms rather than bodying up on shooters.
we are called for fewer fouls . . . that doesn't necessarily mean we commit fewer fouls. Our interior defense is quite physical and we tend to get away with a lot of contact. Baye, Roc and Dirty all collect plenty of fouls and are all lucky they don't draw quite a few more

Yeah I forget where I saw that picture, ESPN I think, but it definitely stood out to me.

Definitely agree that, at least during this tournament, we have been on the good side of officiating.

Doesn't mean we've been handed the games by them but they have been letting us play.

we are called for fewer fouls . . . that doesn't necessarily mean we commit fewer fouls. Our interior defense is quite physical and we tend to get away with a lot of contact. Baye, Roc and Dirty all collect plenty of fouls and are all lucky they don't draw quite a few more

Personally, I disagree. Think about Jay Bilas' campaign this year. It's about taking away the bodying of the dribbler while he brings the ball up court or initiates his offensive move. By any objective measure, we do less of this than the opposition, because we don't engage the opposition as they bring the ball up court. I'm not saying we don't commit fouls. Of course we do. But the reason we commit far fewer than our opponents is attributable to our style of play.

Boeheim is a great coach but he does have a reputation of under achieving in march and often times people say it was more Melo than him in 03. Would winning it all help elevate him past all of that and finally get the respect he deserves?

To quote Tariq Aziz: "Yes...absolutely, yes."

Boeheim already has a storied career: hall of fame, 2nd time all time in wins, exceeding 900+ victories, national championship, coached in three national championship game [soon hopefully to be four].

Getting a second title would really cement his legacy. Even if we don't win, he is an all time great, but getting a second national championship is rarefied air--and would place him in great company. There is definitely some legitimacy to criticisms about his postseason track record [criticisms that a few more elite 8 appearances would have gone a long way toward dispelling]. But if he gets a second title, it removes all doubt about him belonging in the pantheon of all time great college basketball coaches. I firmly believe that.

If you read Igor's recent posts, it appears he's setting it up to tell us it was more MCW than JB

After the 2003 title Iggy's line has been it was all Melo. A 2nd title takes that away from him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom