William Patterson to the Portal | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

William Patterson to the Portal

I don’t understand the value of redshirting anyone anymore. They won’t stay 5 years. They won’t stay 2 years.
You give a guy who isn't going to play a redshirt because it's the honorable choice.

As a coach, whether it helps your program or not, it always helps the kids career. You wouldn't be considering it with a guy who's going to bea lottery pick, you do it with the guy who might just be able to make good money in college through NIL, just not right now.

If you had to pick between going to be a bench guy for a while at different programs, if it's a tough choice, you might choose to go with the coach who has an actual history of looking out for his players, instead of a Coach Calipari or Coach K who talk good games and then burn through players every season.

I am proud of Red for being honourable even under that kind of duress.

Watching Brown get torched possession after possession in critical games, knowing you had a healthy 7'2" guy sitting on the bench must have burned at times. But Red stayed the course.

Or, of course, you're right and Patterson would have been even worse. <shrug>

Last edited:
So you’re saying redshirt = complete scrub by default? I’m willing to bet if the coaches could've magically predicted McLeod would get hurt, they wouldn’t have redshirted Patterson and he would’ve jumped Carey on the depth chart
They didn’t need to project it. He got hurt and the team needed a center to compete. If he was some rare untapped talent he would’ve had the redshirt burned. If he was good enough to be a backup, he wouldn’t be transferring.

You give a guy who isn't going to play a redshirt because it's the honorable choice.

As a coach, whether it helps your program or not, it always helps the kids career. You wouldn't be considering it with a guy who's going to bea lottery pick, you do it with the guy who might just be able to make good money in college through NIL, just not right now.

If you had to pick between going to be a bench guy for a while at different programs, if it's a tough choice, you might choose to go with the coach who has an actual history of liking it for his players, instead of a Coach Calipari or Coach K who talk good games and burn through players every season.

I am proud of Red for being honourable even under that kind of duress.

Watching Brown get torched possession after possession in critical games, knowing you had a healthy 7'2" guy sitting on the bench must have burned at times. But Red stayed the course.

Or, of course, you're right and Patterson would have been even worse. <shrug>
I embrace honor/honesty, but we now have a system that is significantly different than the one where redshirting ethics made sense. If that honor is not repaid, honor becomes a vulnerability.

That said, I don’t know the conversations that were had, so it’s hard to fault Patterson. If he thought he would have a chance at meaningful minutes in his second year, and then with Lampkin coming in and McLeod still there, he realizes he’s still a break glass in case of emergency option, I can understand wanting to leave. The portal is full of guys who have established at least some sort of track record, and he has none, which makes his situation odd and different, but he has to ask himself how long does he want to be a third option? And who’s to say the same thing wouldn’t happen again the following year? Players no longer can rely on seniority or on developing with a team when proven players from other teams can just be bought ‘out of nowhere.’ It’s a sad state of affairs, and the kids seem to have agency, but some get the shaft.

They chose poorly.

Unless Patterson isn’t actually up to this level.
brown being the best option at 5 was a poor choice? Brown being best option at 5 means Patterson isn’t up to this level?
Burning the shirt wasn’t worth 3 minutes a game to back up Brown

brown being the best option at 5 was a poor choice? Brown being best option at 5 means Patterson isn’t up to this level?
Burning the shirt wasn’t worth 3 minutes a game to back up Brown
How do we know if it wasn’t worth the option? Maybe that keeps Brown from transferring. Worth it now?

Unless a kid is hurt i would play him. Today's world is different. I wouldn't bring a kid into a program that had to RS. I doubt you see Red or any coach for that matter RS kids much going forward

If you're trying to make the tournament and Patterson has talent you play him.... apparently he wasn't ready then and wasn't projected to be ready this year.

If you're trying to make the tournament and Patterson has talent you play him... apparently he wasn't ready then and wasn't projected to be ready this year.
Last year he was worse than Carey or Hima, i guess.

Or Carey, or Hima, and who the hell saw something in McLeod. 28+ feet of useless.

1715525984858.gif

I mean - beyond cat rescuing and hanging ornaments on tall XMas trees -
they did provide up to 20 fouls.

And in The Highlander’s defense, on a per-minute basis, he was a good shotblocker.

Last year he was worse than Carey or Hima, i guess.

At least at the beginning of the year, it was determined that he wouldn’t get playing time in front of McLeod, Carey, a beat up Hima and Brown playing spot minutes at the five.

I have no problem bringing him back as the third center, BTW.

Last edited:
He wasn’t supposed to play.
I’m sure he wasn’t SUPPOSED to play, but when the team started to fall apart because they didn’t have a 5 if he was good enough he would’ve played. And then, if he was good enough to be a significant contributor NOW he wouldn’t be transferring. This really isn’t that hard to understand.

How far into the season were we when it was determined that Hima was always injured, and Carey was always Carey. (And don't say 2022). ;)

By January we knew they were both not going to play any more.

l think Jesse Edwards development here opened the door for Patterson's recruitment ....apparently he isn't JE 2.0..... wish him the best and hope he finds a level he can play at.

I ran into Patterson today as I was walking into Syracuse graduation. I asked him what his plans were for next year. He shook his head and said I don’t really know. He seemed upset by this. My fear is that this is another example of a kid who got some bad advice from somebody who really has no clue. The portal sucks in so many ways and this is another one.

I ran into Patterson today as I was walking into Syracuse graduation. I asked him what his plans were for next year. He shook his head and said I don’t really know. He seemed upset by this. My fear is that this is another example of a kid who got some bad advice from somebody who really has no clue. The portal sucks in so many ways and this is another one.
Unless he burned a bridge with the coaches, I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to come back. He’d be better off going to a place he could play and develop for a couple years and then hit the portal again. 7-2 centers are always going to be in demand.

I feel bad for this kid. Remember when people attacked him on social media after he committed? It bothered me when that happened and the way he responded…I just felt sorry for him. He gets unfairly criticized and it’s all misplaced.

And now it looks like he’s getting bad advice, bad advice which he might pay the price for. It’s a shame.

I feel bad for this kid. Remember when people attacked him on social media after he committed? It bothered me when that happened and the way he responded…I just felt sorry for him. He gets unfairly criticized and it’s all misplaced.

And now it looks like he’s getting bad advice, bad advice which he might pay the price for. It’s a shame.
What I would like to see, if DC is over his health problems. Have him come up during the summer and teach Patterson some fundamentals in playing the position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom