Williams / Hewett / Cole | Syracusefan.com

Williams / Hewett / Cole

Nick44

All Conference
Is it just me or do none of these guys fit the profile of the traditional defensive back that this staff has targeted to date? Each of these guys is under 6 feet, none possess great length and all have solid but not great speed (except Hewett). Just odd that this year they went away from the 6-2 corner with exceptional length ala iffy and Devon Clarke for example.

Are any of these guys like Rondi, where if they had camped more they would have had multiple power 5 offers like JackBauer mentioned? Any insight on any of these guys?

Depth

You have three - five young, talented kids in secondary now who will start for the next three years.

Bench- non of these guys are seeing much playing time UNLESS they are incredibly underrated guys. Just tooooo much talent in front of them.

if we are accepting verbals from guys we think are backups then we are in trouble.. we went thru all the starters this year at 1 pt or another.. if we dont have guys we think can be starters waiting then we go downhill fast..

Is it just me or do none of these guys fit the profile of the traditional defensive back that this staff has targeted to date? Each of these guys is under 6 feet, none possess great length and all have solid but not great speed (except Hewett). Just odd that this year they went away from the 6-2 corner with exceptional length ala iffy and Devon Clarke for example.

Are any of these guys like Rondi, where if they had camped more they would have had multiple power 5 offers like JackBauer mentioned? Any insight on any of these guys?
I would have to go back and look to see if these guys went to a lot of camps, which does influence offers. Knowing HS school football in the south, and how kids practice/play most of the summer, it definitely would have limited how many visits they could have made to college camps.

Williams and cole May be slightly undersized but by all accounts are tremendous cover guys. Need those on your roster. They are not any smaller than starter scoop Bradshaw but may be even better at covering a wr. Sounds appealing to me

This season proved how important depth and talent in the defensive backfield is. Lot's of snaps for all who earn PT.

Babers has actually only recruited 2 cornerbacks since he's been here. Iffy (6-3) and Trill (6-2). Three if you count Carl Jones (6-1) but he was brought in as an athlete and has played safety.

Iffy was initially projected as a safety as well - at least by us. Bradshaw (5-11) and Fredrick (5-11) are holdovers. Stritz (6-0) was recruited as a RB. Devon Clarke (6-2) is a safety. Jonas (6-1) a safety, Coley (6-2) a safety.

Cole at 5-11 seems to have long arms and good cover skills & ball skills. Similar to Fredrick imo. One thing I notice in his videos, as he runs with the WR, he's always looking back for the ball. Comes up and makes tackles to.

Williams is listed at 6-0 and plays a lot of press man coverage in his videos. Seems to have great cover skills.

I'm very bullish on the 2 cornerbacks, I think they're going to be very good.

Hewitt I'll trust the coaches here. He's also listed at 6-0 but he's been recruited as an ath/safety as far as I know. Should keep in mind our two starting safeties, both recruited by HCDB, are also listed at 6-0 and that's being generous for Foster.

We'll see. You never know what you're getting until they lace it up.

I really like the film of Williams. He looks like he could be a good one once he gets in the weight room and learns from guys like Fredrick, Iffy, and Trill.

Staff has done nothing to make me doubt their eye for talent.

Agreed -- zero worries on either corner back prospect.

I'll admit that Hewitt seems underrecruited, but he also appears to have elite speed. Maybe he projects at WR or as a kick returner. Or maybe he'll end up at corner. Fredrick was brought in as a safety, as I recall, so there's precedent.

Last edited:
I think PhatOrange hit the nail on the head with the individual analysis. A few things stick out to me. Iffy and Trill give you natural zone defenders with their length. Cole and Williams (Cole especially) look like prototypical press-man corners with really solid foundations in terms of technique and attributes. I look at them as compliments that when developed are going to give the secondary a full menu of coverage options. With Hewitt I think obviously the great equalizer, especially at safety, is speed. You can sacrifice some length if your guy can cover alot of space by turning on the afterburner. It's also a great compliment to a guy like Nunn who is a flying hammer looking for a nail.
I'm really high on the fit of all 4 of these guys and I think we're getting a couple b-b-ballers who are going to contribute early and have really high ceilings once they develop into physically competitive players.

Last edited:
Bench- non of these guys are seeing much playing time UNLESS they are incredibly underrated guys. Just tooooo much talent in front of them.

If a coaching staff recruited for the “bench” they wouldn’t be around very long. Not to mention nothing about this staff tells me they recruit inferior talent just for depth.

Signs of a strong program is recruiting talent equal to or better than your starters.

If anything we have seen what having great athletes in specials can do for a team.

I’m not saying that these kids are destined for special teams, but having fast athletes out there can pay big dividends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom