Win by 10 on the road at Ohio St | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Win by 10 on the road at Ohio St

Ohio State started the game with what looked like a couple of plays specifically designed to beat the zone. After that, the zone did what the zone does... IT ABSOLUTELY BAFFLED THEM.

Seems like it baffled the zebras too, because even they couldn't stop it.

and really all 3 of them - all of marek's points came when he was playing forward

Good win on the road, but we need to get a little more from the center position. No points as you wrote. The inside defense was prone to fouls and allowed too many easy finishes.
We got a strong game from our perimeter guys -- and with modest improvement from the center position, we could be good.

I’ll defend last night’s center play a bit. It’s not a coincidence that the teams we play miss a ton of bunnies inside. Our centers contest everything. I agree we need even modest offensive contribution, but I also think we usually get a contribution even if they are not scoring or rebounding because they fix a lot of messes when the other team gets Inside the zone.

These responses are certainly reults oriented. I thought our offense was painful, and to be honest, boring, to watch.

Get a W and move on. Hit a ton of 3's tonight. Next time it's hopefully Oshae or some other way. Our offense still baffles me and our foul trouble, while aided by whistle happy ref,s was also aided by boneheaded obvious fouls by experienced guys. All that said - great win and great response when we needed to make one.

Am I the only one that thinks Sidibe should start at the 5? He and Chukwu are interchangeable and I fully expect to see OB sliding into the 5 at times this season depending on the matchup.

We have so much depth on the wings and in the backcourt. It's sick.

Am I the only one that thinks Sidibe should start at the 5? He and Chukwu are interchangeable and I fully expect to see OB sliding into the 5 at times this season depending on the matchup.

We have so much depth on the wings and in the backcourt. It's sick.
I don't think they're interchangeable. Chukwu is more of a defensive presence, and Sidibe has the potential to become an offensive factor in the post once he is healthier and regains full mobility. Dolezaj looks to be JB's third option at center but his size and tendency to foul make it risky to ask him to play down there for extended minutes. Barring injury, I don't expect to see Brissett play much there at all.

As for who starts, I don't think it much matters. JB will substitute quickly or ride the hot hand depending on what he sees.

I don't know what was worse the refs in this game or the refs in the game when we played Ohio St in the Elite 8 in 2012 when we were whistled for 28 fouls.

Elite 8 was even worse, if that's even possible (sadly, it is, and was)

And BOTH times SU had about 10 more fouls called on them than tOSU did.
It would have been a LOT more than 10 last night, except for the late fouling the Buckeyes did to try to extend the game.
Prior to that, SU had at least a dozen more fouls called on them to that point.

But it all makes sense, since the 2-3 zone D we employ is known for being aggressive, hand-checking, and body blocking dudes all game long, and getting called for a ton of fouls. :rolleyes:

Also, OSU fans on their11 Warriors board whining about the referees.
:bat: Holtmann was complaining about the goaltending call in the post game, of course. But he failed to even mention the insane foul disparity and the numerous absolutely atrocious calls that went their way.

These responses are certainly reults oriented. I thought our offense was painful, and to be honest, boring, to watch.
lol style points, people, STYLE POINTS - I say we start forfeiting games that fall short of aesthetically pleasing

OSU held Creighton's offense, which averages 84 a game, to 60 pts, at Creighton. Held Cinci to 56 pts, at Cinci. I'll take 72 every day all day against that defense

Excellent win. Won’t matter if we can’t finally play well against an ex big east team next Saturday. We haven’t had one good game against those teams since leaving that conference not one where we showed up and played well not in the mood for another stinker.

We looked like last years team only better on O. We need our center play to improve. I hope that Sid gets back to full health as he has potential. We lack the physicality to bang as we are so thin across the board. Im predicting we make the dance as a 5-7 seed.

really need to get 4-5 scores a game from the 2 centers and 3-4 runouts. this team has given up offensive rebounding which also doesn't help. You can win if you get to the mid 70s and you wont need to shoot lights out to do it.. We are not getting to the foul line so far and no easy baskets thats gonna put huge stress on shooting and hopefully most nights its better than the first few games and probably wont be near what the OSU game was

Elite 8 was even worse, if that's even possible (sadly, it is, and was)

And BOTH times SU had about 10 more fouls called on them than tOSU did.
It would have been a LOT more than 10 last night, except for the late fouling the Buckeyes did to try to extend the game.
Prior to that, SU had at least a dozen more fouls called on them to that point.

But it all makes sense, since the 2-3 zone D we employ is known for being aggressive, hand-checking, and body blocking dudes all game long, and getting called for a ton of fouls. :rolleyes:

That's one of the things that always drives me nuts. Teams that play aggressive pressure defense are allowed to hand check, bump you, ride your hip all the way up the court, etc. They let teams screen high and then the center moves with no call while still engaged with our player [should be an automatic moving screen]. But we invariably end up getting a bunch of touch fouls called while the other team is allowed to goon it up indiscriminately. Never made any sense to me -- we're traditionally more of a finesse team, yet we'd play thug teams like Pitt / Gtown and have way more fouls called.