Wisconsin playing in Milwaukee is BS... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wisconsin playing in Milwaukee is BS...

So where should these games be played?

A neutral or somewhat neutral site. Quaint idea, eh? They will sell out every arena except for the big domes so what's the point?

Why don't we go back to putting the games in huge domes, and have 50 people in the stands.

LOL there's usually one regional (and sometimes two) held in a dome every year. Where ya been?

A neutral or somewhat neutral site. Quaint idea, eh? They will sell out every arena except for the big domes so what's the point?

Teams should be rewarded for having good seasons, If Oregon is so upset over having to play wisc 80 miles from their campus, play better during the season.

Teams should be rewarded for having good seasons, If Oregon is so upset over having to play wisc 80 miles from their campus, play better during the season.

Not buying that but hey you're entitled to your opinion. I thought playing the lower seed should be enough. Why should some high seeds get that advantage and not others?

Not buying that but hey you're entitled to your opinion. I thought playing the lower seed should be enough. Why should some high seeds get that advantage and not others?

Because the sites are predetermined, they can't just make up sites to help teams out.

Because the sites are predetermined, they can't just make up sites to help teams out.

I know they're predetermined but that means some high seeds will have an advantage and others won't. But hell we know the real reason why they do it to maximize revenue. But the few extra dollars are a rounding error compared to the tv money.

I know they're predetermined but that means some high seeds will have an advantage and others won't. But hell we know the real reason why they do it to maximize revenue. But the few extra dollars are a rounding error compared to the tv money.

I have no problem with that, its the luck of the draw, we were good enough to get the advantage of playing close to home, and we couldn't take advantage of it. Last year we had to go to San Jose and play a 12 seed in their home state, and we got the job done.

Yeah I know it's not just where you play. Watching that Wisconsin game the crowd was deafening.

Dude I don't care for that either but there are some obvious differences. We're 150 miles from Buffalo and no real fan base there. Meanwhile UW is the state team with a huge following in Milwaukee, 80 miles away. Listen to the crowds in the two games. No comparison.
first by all accounts, SU fans far out numbered all the others. Also, Rochester is a hugh fan base for SU.

There was probably not that much of a higher% of Wisky fans than SU fans in Buffalo.

The crowd was much louder because the play on the floor (even if it was close) encouraged excitement. It was not 20-20 at the half. The flow of the game gave less opportunity for anxiety to take over -- that was clearly a problem in Buffalo.

first by all accounts, SU fans far out numbered all the others. Also, Rochester is a hugh fan base for SU.

What does Rochester have to do with Buffalo?

Not the same as Wisconsin in Milwaukee. Listening on tv the two weren't comparable. Game wasn't played in Rochester.

Awful OP.

LOL. Unfreaking real that you find it offensive that games in the NCAA should be played on neutral or somewhat neutral courts. I've asked over and over why one team needs an advantage over another and I never get an answer that makes any sense.

There was probably not that much of a higher% of Wisky fans than SU fans in Buffalo.

The crowd was much louder because the play on the floor (even if it was close) encouraged excitement. It was not 20-20 at the half. The flow of the game gave less opportunity for anxiety to take over -- that was clearly a problem in Buffalo.

Fair point about the flow of play etc. I would dispute the notion that the percentage of fans were similar. The Bradley Center was awash in a sea of red. At the end of the game when both crowds were frenetic cuz of the closeness of the games, the Wisconsin crowd seemed a lot louder.

Wow...

What do you propose? The selection committee sets the field and seeds and then pours over a map to make sure each team in the pod is of equal distance from the site? With 64 teams and eight second/third round locations that's not possible, so why not reward the higher seeds?

Why do the higher seeds need to be rewarded? And no offense but you guys are country bumpkins if you think it is about rewarding the higher seeds.

Why do the higher seeds need to be rewarded? And no offense but you guys are country bumpkins if you think it is about rewarding the higher seeds.

Because when you do good things you get rewarded? God you're dense.

How do you propose the pods are set? There will always be teams that are closer to the site than others.

Because when you do good things you get rewarded? God you're dense.

How do you propose the pods are set? There will always be teams that are closer to the site than others.

Let me spell it out for you ROC so I can help you with your density. Teams are allowed to play very close to campus in order to maximize gate revenue. This money is a rounding error when you consider that CBS/Turner are paying the NCAA $11 Billion over 14 years. Besides most of these venues would be sold out anyway. There is no particular need- other than to max the almighty $ - to place these teams in venues where they have a decided home court advantage.

The higher seeded teams are rewarded by playing lower seeds. Why do they need an additional advantage?

Yes it is partially due to revenue. Of course it is. Do you really think these venues would be sold out if they didn't do it this way? I can count on my hands the number of people I talked to out in buffalo that were there just to be there. The second/third round games aren't the Super Bowl. Even the Dayton fans cleared out of the arena after our game and didn't stick around for the second game.

You're the only person on this forum that is against fans being able to conveniently travel to see their team and you still haven't told me how the NCAA should make sure no teams are closer to the site than others. Maybe they should play all the games in Alaska. Then there would be no advantage and no one would go to the first two rounds!

It is impossible for there NOT to be some distance advantage, so as with everything in life, those who have done something to deserve the advantage get it.

There are eight teams sent to each site. Between these eight teams a substantial portion of tickets are purchased and then local interest can help with the rest. If there is no local interest in college hoops when why tf are they hosting a tournament? And if it doesn't sell out, big deal.

I am not advocating that teams travel across the country to play. The higher seeded teams should be allowed to play in their regional areas just not in their backyards. Really not that complicated.

Not the same as Wisconsin in Milwaukee. Listening on tv the two weren't comparable. Game wasn't played in Rochester.
But Rochester is only 60 miles away. Radio guys were saying early in 2nd half that if SU made a dunk, they expected the roof to be blown off. With SU playing so poorly, yeah crowd was going to be quieter. Go back to the 2003 NC when SU was talked about playing in Albany. Also consider what the crowd would be like if SU was in the East regional and made it to MSG. There would be all sorts of comments then.

But Rochester is only 60 miles away. Radio guys were saying early in 2nd half that if SU made a dunk, they expected the roof to be blown off. With SU playing so poorly, yeah crowd was going to be quieter. Go back to the 2003 NC when SU was talked about playing in Albany. Also consider what the crowd would be like if SU was in the East regional and made it to MSG. There would be all sorts of comments then.

I would assume that most of the SU folks at yesterday's game were not from Rochester. I know SU would have had an advantage playing in MSG but at least its 250 miles away and a little more easily justified. The state school team playing a game 80 miles from its campus in the biggest city in the state is a bit too much. What I've noticed over the years is SU fans are ok with this arrangement until we're on the wrong end of the stick. Like when we played MSU @ the Palace in Detroit or UMass in Worcester, MA. Then it's not such a great idea anymore.

What does Rochester have to do with Buffalo?
His complaint was the fans of Wisconsin didn't have far to go (70 miles) and SU was father away (140 miles! WOW, with a direct thruway to drive no less). I pointed out that there are a huge number of SU fans/alumni in Rochester, a mere 60 miles from Buffalo who were ready to go to support SU. I know a lot of fans hungry for tickets that would not have been in Buffalo if SU wasn't there.

Let me spell it out for you ROC so I can help you with your density. Teams are allowed to play very close to campus in order to maximize gate revenue. This money is a rounding error when you consider that CBS/Turner are paying the NCAA $11 Billion over 14 years. Besides most of these venues would be sold out anyway. There is no particular need- other than to max the almighty $ - to place these teams in venues where they have a decided home court advantage.

The higher seeded teams are rewarded by playing lower seeds. Why do they need an additional advantage?

Why do teams in pro sports get home games in the playoffs? Because they are earned that right. What is so hard to understand?

Wisconsin had a great season, why should they have to go play in Spokane?