Wish we were in Charlottesville... | Syracusefan.com

Wish we were in Charlottesville...

Zippy1808

2nd String
Great trip last year, despite the loss.
Charlottesville is a great town. And the atmosphere for a huge game was second to none.
(Football fans... make the trip this year on October 17th, who knows when we'll play football there next)
JPJ is a great arena. Big but small. Pro feel yet you still know it's a college barn.
It was also the first place I met the legendary cto!

(The only thing that annoys me about JPJ is they still have the "old school" shot clocks. Look at them, and compare to the Dome's, and you'll see what I mean!)

Come on down... The game will probably not be sold out, primarily because we have been abysmal for the past decade in football it seems... Charlottesville is gorgeous, I use to live there and am beginning to look again for a home back in the Ville... October is perfect weather, and the leaves will be turning colors... will be picturesque for certain...

Charlottesville is one of my favorite places in this country, would love to retire there one day, but I am glad we get them at the dome this year.

JPJ is a great arena. Big but small. Pro feel yet you still know it's a college barn.
It was also the first place I met the legendary cto!

And I enjoyed meeting you!

Last edited:
Come on down... The game will probably not be sold out, primarily because we have been abysmal for the past decade in football it seems... Charlottesville is gorgeous, I use to live there and am beginning to look again for a home back in the Ville... October is perfect weather, and the leaves will be turning colors... will be picturesque for certain...
I will be there for our football game! Already have the rooms reserved at the Omni!

my daughter a senior in high school recently was excepted to UVA. We live on Long Island. Can anyone give me some feel for School and town. Is it very southern? conservative? She is out going smart girl and want to make sure it is right fit. We are going down few weeks but saw this thread and figured id ask.

my daughter a senior in high school recently was excepted to UVA. We live on Long Island. Can anyone give me some feel for School and town. Is it very southern? conservative? She is out going smart girl and want to make sure it is right fit. We are going down few weeks but saw this thread and figured id ask.

Congratulations! Getting into UVA from out of state is not easy.

I went to grad school there and Charlottesville remains my favorite place I've ever lived. Like a lot of southern universities the student body is a bit more conservative than the faculty, but I didn't find the atmosphere to be stuffy. Personally, I thought that the jackets and ties and sun dress thing at the football games was pretty cool. The downtown mall in C'ville has a nice music scene and is a great place to hang out, but the undergrads tend to go out around the Corner more.

I moved to Richmond from Syracuse 1.5 years ago now. I fully plan on getting to UVa for the football game this year. I wanted to go to Maryland last year but it didn't pan out. I have no excuse to not make it to UVa though.

I got wait listed by Uva, congrats to your daughter, its an excellent school. I have been there several times, there are few places I would put ahead of Charlottesville.

UVa is a great school and Charlottesville is a great town. I live in Richmond now but my son and his wife live in Charlottesville and I get down there often. Had lunch on campus just today in C'Ville at a place called Little Johns on University Avenue, which is pretty much their version of M street. I LOVE the sandwiches there... I lived in NY, NJ and CT my whole life (and graduated from SU). I would say UVa is kind of like a cross between SU and Duke, if that makes any sense! I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid there.

Congratulations to your daughter! I'm originally an LIer, too. It's different than being on the Island, and I think the positive differences far, far outweigh the bad. Most of the kids are public school kids nowadays, especially from Northern Va (NOVA) which the ultra hard core doesn't consider part of Virginia. :) When you visit I think you both will be blown away, because pictures don't do justice at all.

Driving hints - The usual NJ Tpke south across the Delaware Bridge into Md. I-295 parallels the Tpke starting at the I-195 exit. You might do better taking the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel instead of the Ft. McHenry Tunnel and it will meet up with I-95 south of B'more. Washington Beltway toward Silver Spring; continue into Va. Get off on I-66 West. Get off onto US 29 south toward Charlottesville.

UVa is a great school and Charlottesville is a great town. I live in Richmond now but my son and his wife live in Charlottesville and I get down there often. Had lunch on campus just today in C'Ville at a place called Little Johns on University Avenue, which is pretty much their version of M street. I LOVE the sandwiches there... I lived in NY, NJ and CT my whole life (and graduated from SU). I would say UVa is kind of like a cross between SU and Duke, if that makes any sense! I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid there.
Little John's is a great deli. They name some of the subs for UVA athletes. They've had a Sampson sub for a long time, and I think they have one for Chris Long too. I like going there most times I visit. UVA and Syracuse have been playing for years in Lacrosse. It's fun now to be able to do so in football and basketball.