With a limited budget, HC needs to be offensive guy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With a limited budget, HC needs to be offensive guy

rrlbees said:
Only SU and Nebraska recruited him as a QB. Because he was a runner not a passer.

You are correct but he had plenty of other offers as an "athlete". I would estimate by today's standards he's a 4 star recruit which was a great get for SU even back then.

Defense is a crapshoot everywhere, don't spend your money there. Pay an offensive head coach with a system and go cheap on the other side of the ball

It's not the end of the world for Shafer to be a great DC for twenty more years someplace

This is less about Shafer and more about not having enough money left to pay an offensive coach where scheme matters most

This is twice in one season I am agreeing with you - now that is something!

I thought endowments were funds used for investments in to the school? So the funds are solely for buying out the center of Syracuse and pushing the crime ridden neighborhoods into the suburbs? Seems like sports programs are investments.[/QUOTE

The athletic dept is self funding...enough said ...

OrangePA said:
He was a big recruit. And he made Kevin a very good coach.

Why didn't everyone recruit him as a QB?

And his years weren't Kevin's only great years. He was a great coach every year. Even at ND and VT where their QBs broke records.

lincolncuse said:
You are correct but he had plenty of other offers as an "athlete". I would estimate by today's standards he's a 4 star recruit which was a great get for SU even back then.

Yep, athlete turned into QB.

So what I see is if SU can get a borderline NFL HOF QB they might have some success?

Defense is a crapshoot everywhere, don't spend your money there. Pay an offensive head coach with a system and go cheap on the other side of the ball

It's not the end of the world for Shafer to be a great DC for twenty more years someplace

This is less about Shafer and more about not having enough money left to pay an offensive coach where scheme matters most

If the HC is a "defense" guy, must hire a proven OC (pay the $$)
If the HC is a "offense" guy, must hire proven DC.
Pretty basic stuff.

Syracuse:
Endowment, $1.183 billion (June 30, 2014)

Seems like there is some money available to me.
No one uses their endowment to pay for football.

Only SU and Nebraska recruited him as a QB. Because he was a runner not a passer.
He sat in front of me at a basketball game on his visit. Everyone was very excited about this kid. He was a big recruit.

jtorange said:
If the HC is a "defense" guy, must hire a proven OC (pay the $$) If the HC is a "offense" guy, must hire proven DC. Pretty basic stuff.
Defense is random whether we go proven or unproven

rrlbees said:
Why didn't everyone recruit him as a QB? And his years weren't Kevin's only great years. He was a great coach every year. Even at ND and VT where their QBs broke records.

Because it was different time when it came to QB recruiting. In today's game, McNabb never makes it here, everyone recruits him as a QB.

That said, Rogers has been a great QB coach everywhere he's been. Was a great OC here in 97 and 98.

We had the market cornered on dual-threat quarterbacks for many years. Now it seems like good teams go 2-3 deep with talented dual-threat QBs, and we wind up with the leftovers and slow pro style QBs.

dasher said:
He sat in front of me at a basketball game on his visit. Everyone was very excited about this kid. He was a big recruit.

Never said he wasn't a big recruit. Most wanted him as an athlete. If people don't think Rogers had anything to do with his development as a QB then I can honestly say they don't know much about football.

The thing is that SU athletics is far from broke. Every estimate that I've ever seen puts SU between 30-35 and all of those estimates involve us having a bad GB team, and most of them involve us being in the BIG EAST. With a good GB coach, we could be as high as about 20, maybe higher if we can hold it. NY loves winners.

I would like to see some O, though. That would help ratings and game attendance.

We had the market cornered on dual-threat quarterbacks for many years. Now it seems like good teams go 2-3 deep with talented dual-threat QBs, and we wind up with the leftovers and slow pro style QBs.

Yep, been saying that since the early 2000's.

They innovated and the marketplace caught up and passed.

GoSU96 said:
Yep, been saying that since the early 2000's. They innovated and the marketplace caught up and passed.
There are also more real dual threats because hs football has come a long way. None of those high schools are here though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom