With Marrone gone now, here are some guys I'm interested in seeing us pursue | Syracusefan.com

With Marrone gone now, here are some guys I'm interested in seeing us pursue

Czar

All Conference
Mario Cristobal:

FIU gift wrapped him with their stupid firing of the guy. He's exactly what we're looking for, Northeast and Florida recruiting ties, beyond a realistic candidate.

David Cutcliffe:

For people worried about keeping Zach Allen on board, bring in the coach for Peyton and Eli Manning.

Doc Holliday:

Turned Rakeem Cato into a great college QB, runs a high powered pass first offense.

Kenny Edenfield:

Troy Offensive Coordinator, has run high octane offenses at Troy and North Alabama, and has produced many quality players from both with little in the way of top quality recruiting. Could be a high reward hire.

Todd Berry:

Runs a great offense at Louisiana-Monroe. Got them to their first bowl, has coached all over the country, including at Army so he's not unfamiliar with the area.

Scott Shafer:

Obvious, continuity, we all know him

Hackett:

Would be the easy move to preserve recruiting, but I don't think anyone can call it the right move. It'd be amazing if this happened and Hackett turned out to be a great head coach, but he hasn't given indication of being able to, so who knows.

Hopefully we have quite the rainy day fund if we are trying to poach cutcliffe. I have a feeling Duke might get pretty protective.

Gross has gone with a guy with strong NFL ties twice now with mixed results. It will be interesting to see if he stays with the NFL pedigree template.

Marrone was picked by a committee I'm sure same thing will occur this time.

Marrone was picked by a committee I'm sure same thing will occur this time.
Well hopefully this committee has been burning the midnight oil already.

Bob Diacco DC Notre Dame
Chad Morris OC Clemson

Outside the box guy:
Raheem Morris DB Coach Redskins

no please no Former DC from Texas the last one very nearly killed the program. lol well maybe this one would be better

Hopefully we have quite the rainy day fund if we are trying to poach cutcliffe. I have a feeling Duke might get pretty protective.

The guy is making 2M right now and has never had a winning season at Duke.

Yeesh.

If SU didn't spend the resources to keep Marrone here you want to use them on that?

Yeesh.

If SU didn't spend the resources to keep Marrone here you want to use them on that?

Nope. I was just bringing up the point that we probably won't be hiring any current BCS level headcoaches.

I

Yeesh.

I think the ODU coach is intriguing for sure as I like his recruiting ties as well... I just can't see Marrone not taking 3-4 assistants with the NFL pedigree... Hack, Moore, Henderson, possibly Wheatley... Wheat could easily leave his family in Syracuse and coach at buffalo..

If we can't retain the current staff, which would be my first choice (but I think probably isn't happening), I would think long and hard about Mario Cristobal with his NJ and Florida ties. If we are going to go the Coordinator route, I look at Chad Morris (OC @ Clemson) or Bob Diaco (DC @ ND)

Two options I haven't heard anyone else mention:

ed-orgeron.jpg

p1_oleary_ap.jpg

Both have Syracuse connections. One can recruit like a mother, the other can bring an entire staff for continuity sake (and probably retain anselmo as well). Both have prior head coaching experience in the corner of the country SU will be playing the bulk of its games.

So what they would be mercenaries with limited shelf-lives; in the end, that's all Marrone was anyway.

ed-orgeron.jpg

p1_oleary_ap.jpg

Both have Syracuse connections. One can recruit like a mother, the other can bring an entire staff for continuity sake (and probably retain anselmo as well). Both have prior head coaching experience in the corner of the country SU will be playing the bulk of its games.

So what they would be mercenaries with limited shelf-lives; in the end, that's all Marrone was anyway.

O'Leary is to old at this point, gotta look to go a little bit younger. The coach from Old Dominion is intriguing, gotta admit I dotn know a lot about him but the stats seem good. At this point it woudl be nice to have either Hackett or Schafer remain in the fold. Not really to concerned about Moore, Henderson etc.

ed-orgeron.jpg

p1_oleary_ap.jpg

Names in this thread stink.

Tom Herman OSU OC is my #1.

Hackett 2

Shaeffer 3.

I call Coughlin and see if he wants to retire coaching his alma mater.

Bob Diaco is a big enough name to keep recruits and you might as well call him.

Reagan at Rice I interview since he is a SU man.

I see nothing wrong with taking a look at Jagodsinski since he owned the ACC for a couple years.

Thats a good enough and reasonable short list for me.

I was thinking about Orgeron. He may also have some sort of a relationship with Gross. Problem is, not a lot of northeast experience aside from his SU stint 15+ years ago.

I was thinking about Orgeron. He may also have some sort of a relationship with Gross. Problem is, not a lot of northeast experience aside from his SU stint 15+ years ago.

Yeah its been awhile since he was in the NE, interesting thought though.

please no more nfl guys. no more college assistants. get a hc with hc experience

Mario Cristobal:

FIU gift wrapped him with their stupid firing of the guy. He's exactly what we're looking for, Northeast and Florida recruiting ties, beyond a realistic candidate.

David Cutcliffe:

For people worried about keeping Zach Allen on board, bring in the coach for Peyton and Eli Manning.

Doc Holliday:

Turned Rakeem Cato into a great college QB, runs a high powered pass first offense.

Kenny Edenfield:

Troy Offensive Coordinator, has run high octane offenses at Troy and North Alabama, and has produced many quality players from both with little in the way of top quality recruiting. Could be a high reward hire.

Todd Berry:

Runs a great offense at Louisiana-Monroe. Got them to their first bowl, has coached all over the country, including at Army so he's not unfamiliar with the area.

Scott Shafer:

Obvious, continuity, we all know him

Hackett:

Would be the easy move to preserve recruiting, but I don't think anyone can call it the right move. It'd be amazing if this happened and Hackett turned out to be a great head coach, but he hasn't given indication of being able to, so who knows.

If Syracuse is going to look closely at any sitting Sunbelt coach, it should be Louisiana-Lafayette HC Mark Hudspeth. He put together a D2 record at North Alabama that is stunning in its consistency at the top. And he has led the former Southwest Louisiana, an all time Loser in football, to back to back 9-4 teams. That is an unbelievable feat, even more impressive than what Berry has done at Lou-Monroe.