With Marrone gone now, here are some guys I'm interested in seeing us pursue | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With Marrone gone now, here are some guys I'm interested in seeing us pursue

Coordinators from big time schools (Clemson, Notre Dame, Alabama, Texas) made more than Marrone did as assistants this year, why would they even consider coming to a university that doesn't pay, and doesn't (at least from the outside looking in) value football as high as basketball? On top of that if any of those high end assistants did take the job they are going to be Lane Kiffin-eske and only stay until the higher profile job opens up.

Personally I think the next hire depends on two things. How many assistants go with Marrone? The one difference between Marrone and Schiano is he was in the NFL recently, Schiano had been out for 10-12 years at least and probably didn't know as many assistants as Marrone did. If Marrone has any respect for the university left can he leave the (majority) of the staff here, and hire from his contacts in the NFL? If that is the case promote whatever assistant is ready and keep the class and players happy. I think Shafer is probably more ready than Hackett, but you may have to give Hackett the job to keep him. If Marrone takes the staff you are probably better off going with a smaller school head coach (many of the names listed in this thread) with some ties to the northeast and try to keep a few key cogs (Adkins, Anselmo) and move on. The problem with this philosophy is Marrone did this a month after everyone has cherry picked everything the cream of the crop...

It might make sense to interview Kevin Rogers. Pretty much every offense he has been involved in has been good.

I can see Shafer going with Marrone. ESPN just said he needed someone to help him fix the defense. Gotta think Shafer is up to the task.

My short list: Bobby Wilder, Pete Lembo, Jim Tressel, Hackett and Shafer. If you haven't checked out Wilders bio on the ODU football site you should. Very impressive.

My opinion, there was no amount of resources that would have kept Marrone.

The guy is making 2M right now and has never had a winning season at Duke.

Yeesh.

If SU didn't spend the resources to keep Marrone here you want to use them on that?

It might make sense to interview Kevin Rogers. Pretty much every offense he has been involved in has been good.

Wasn't he in the conversation when we hired Marrone? I forgot about him, I thought, if I"m not mistaken he had quite a bit of support from some former players?

Wasn't he in the conversation when we hired Marrone? I forgot about him, I thought, if I"m not mistaken he had quite a bit of support from some former players?

Yep. Plus he's already back in the northeast. It seems like there are a lot of qualified candidates. I just hope the University acts decisively.

Yep. Plus he's already back in the northeast. It seems like there are a lot of qualified candidates. I just hope the University acts decisively.

With who people are listing as possibilities, assuming half of them would entertain the job, there are definitely more options than I previously thought about. That was one thing I was worried about, who are we going to get so late in the game.

The big question now, will we pay anybody to take the position. A lot of names already mentioned already make close to what Marrone was making anyway, so why leave where they are.

I know everyone is thinking Schafer and Hackett, but what about Wheatley? Any chance he gets an opportunity?

I

I think the ODU coach is intriguing for sure as I like his recruiting ties as well... I just can't see Marrone not taking 3-4 assistants with the NFL pedigree... Hack, Moore, Henderson, possibly Wheatley... Wheat could easily leave his family in Syracuse and coach at buffalo..

Couldn't agree more. Those would be my guesses on the coaches.

My short list: Bobby Wilder, Pete Lembo, Jim Tressel, Hackett and Shafer. If you haven't checked out Wilders bio on the ODU football site you should. Very impressive.

Cusester,...you may just be onto something. I really like Wilder's Bio and I think he may be a good option to consider.
He looks like a player's coach and can see him connecting well with them and helping them with their development. My only contention would be his recruiting experience but then again have to see who else follows Marrone to the bills.

Pleasantly surprised with his style and his 'AIM HIGH' approach.

Hey Chan Gailey (former GT coach) is available! lol

Problem with Butch is if he comes here for a year or two and does well he will BOLT first time an SEC job opens and he is offered

What makes you think that? He had opportunities to leave UNC for the SEC and did not so much as sniff them. Butch is too old for more than 1 more new job. His next will be his last.

Anybody who thinks Ed Orgeron should be trusted with your program needs to talk to Ole Miss fans. Orgeron is a dolt whose sole strength is recruiting.

Anybody who thinks Randy Shannon is worth discussing needs to realize that Shannon is not even a DC now. Shannon is nothing more than a 1st rate LB coach who got handed the best D in the country by Butch Davis and Greg Schiano leaving, and then got handed the HC job.

My wife's godson plays for Coach Wilder at ODU. Great guy. I just don't know if his offensive scheme would work at our level. But, it would sure be fun to find out. 5 OL, 4WR, 1 RB and 1 QB. And his QB down there is very good, Taylor Heinecke.

I was thinking about Orgeron. He may also have some sort of a relationship with Gross. Problem is, not a lot of northeast experience aside from his SU stint 15+ years ago.

Orgeron is not HC material.

Whoever said Randy Edsall, son, you shouldn't be drinking before noon.

I

I think the ODU coach is intriguing for sure as I like his recruiting ties as well... I just can't see Marrone not taking 3-4 assistants with the NFL pedigree... Hack, Moore, Henderson, possibly Wheatley... Wheat could easily leave his family in Syracuse and coach at buffalo..
Would be a total move if the big balogne took any staff members if we hire from within. If in fact he knows that we are going outside for a coach than sure no problem. Question and this is serious. Will Doug make a contribution to Syracuse Football for giving him the biggest break of his life? Does he walk the walk?