With Marrone gone now, here are some guys I'm interested in seeing us pursue | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With Marrone gone now, here are some guys I'm interested in seeing us pursue

Addazio has to be banging his head on the table thinking he could have probably gotten the SU job over the BC now! Poor timing for him (and his son who is now transferring)

Mario Cristobal:

FIU gift wrapped him with their stupid firing of the guy. He's exactly what we're looking for, Northeast and Florida recruiting ties, beyond a realistic candidate.

David Cutcliffe:

For people worried about keeping Zach Allen on board, bring in the coach for Peyton and Eli Manning.

Doc Holliday:

Turned Rakeem Cato into a great college QB, runs a high powered pass first offense.

Kenny Edenfield:

Troy Offensive Coordinator, has run high octane offenses at Troy and North Alabama, and has produced many quality players from both with little in the way of top quality recruiting. Could be a high reward hire.

Todd Berry:

Runs a great offense at Louisiana-Monroe. Got them to their first bowl, has coached all over the country, including at Army so he's not unfamiliar with the area.

Scott Shafer:

Obvious, continuity, we all know him

Hackett:

Would be the easy move to preserve recruiting, but I don't think anyone can call it the right move. It'd be amazing if this happened and Hackett turned out to be a great head coach, but he hasn't given indication of being able to, so who knows.

Regarding Hackett your post states: "but he hasn't given indication of being able to [be a great coach]"

Please explain that.

Have you sat in on coaching room sessions with him? Have you watched film with him? Have you had any experience with him in a recruiting setting or in a talent evaluation session? Have you ever met him?

How do folks come up with such assessments?

Sorry, but none of us knows how good a HC Hackett or Shafer could be at this point.

But, based on the development of Nassib and the offense this year as well as his recruitment of Allen, there is every reason to believe that Hackett knows something about college football and college football recruiting. We also know that he grew up in the game and saw first hand what it takes to coach on every level in both a head coaching position or assistant coaching position.

To suggest that Hackett "hasn't given any indication" of being a solid candidate is baseless.

Im not saying SU shouldn't promote Hackett. But if they do WITHOUT interviewing anyone else from the outside that is lazy. And worrisome.

I think Syracuse should contact Butch Davis. The Martin Report said exactly what I had been saying all along: the UNC cheating scandal was an academic matter (a rogue department chaired by an arch-rogue). Davis had 0 to do with any of it. The NCAA already cleared him in everything else. His great failing was to trust John Blake, whom he has known since Blake was in 8th grade. Davis is only going to have time for 1 more job. He may flirt with various other schools, but he wants to coach at a Major conference school. He can draw a good staff, and he will oversee good recruiting.

I think Syracuse should contact Butch Davis. The Martin Report said exactly what I had been saying all along: the UNC cheating scandal was an academic matter (a rogue department chaired by an arch-rogue). Davis had 0 to do with any of it. The NCAA already cleared him in everything else. His great failing was to trust John Blake, whom he has known since Blake was in 8th grade. Davis is only going to have time for 1 more job. He may flirt with various other schools, but he wants to coach at a Major conference school. He can draw a good staff, and he will oversee good recruiting.
Problem with Butch is if he comes here for a year or two and does well he will BOLT first time an SEC job opens and he is offered

Hack could be a home run hire...Or a train wreck... I would love to see it. Some wanted him fired 4 months ago

He might. I just hope they don't hand him the job though and they speak to others before making that decision

well this better be speed interviewing. We have the team and January recruits reporting back to campus in about 4 days. Don't see Zach Allen heading North until (a) the remaining staff is kept in place or (b) he has spoken with and feels comfortable enough with the new staff.

He might. I just hope they don't hand him the job though and they speak to others before making that decision
Right this process shouldn't be rushed but it shouldn't take very long either. Syracuse should have already had feelers out to different coaches gauging interest. They have had every indication that Marrone was looking to move on. If the administration was sitting idly by then there is a problem.

I agree 100%, at this point, they should interview both shafer and Hackett, They have called a few coaches to see if they are interested...and will interview them as well. I would imagine it will be quick. Maybe hack or shaf are thes best guy for th job but I agree you need to do your due dilligence

well this better be speed interviewing. We have the team and January recruits reporting back to campus in about 4 days. Don't see Zach Allen heading North until (a) the remaining staff is kept in place or (b) he has spoken with and feels comfortable enough with the new staff.

You really feel bad for the kid. Was really pumped to work with marrone and hackett and now maybe got screwed out of a semester as he graduated early. What's he gonna do for 4 months? He was such a great supporter of SU too

Sounds crazy but I would throw the kitchen sink at Gruden!!! That is making a statement. LOL.

I agree 100%, at this point, they should interview both shafer and Hackett, I imagine they have called a few coaches to see if they are interested...and will interview them as well. I would imagine it will be quick. Maybe hack or shaf are thes best guy for th job but I agree you need to do your due dilligence
Yep. SU if has been on top of this should have a coach by next weekend. Interview a few in-house guys. Interview the 2 guys on their short-list from the outside. Make a decision

Can someone explain to lure of crisotbal to me? I don't get it at all. They has had a few positional coaching jobs and some mild success at fiu. Plus he coache at Buttgers - gross.

Sounds crazy but I would throw the kitchen sink at Gruden!!! That is making a statement. LOL.
Speaking about Jay or Jon? LOL LOL

NFL teams have offered to hand Jon the keys to the castle and he has said no! Not to mention has has turned down Tenn and ND, you think Syracuse is a reality?

Can someone explain to lure of crisotbal to me? I don't get it at all. They has had a few positional coaching jobs and some mild success at fiu. Plus he coache at Buttgers - gross.
Good recruiter. Good coach. Got a raw deal at FIU because FIU thinks they are ND or Michigan or something.

POsted this in the other thread, but just a few names we are kicking around here...all have flaws...some bigger than others

Jack Cosgrove (I resepct the hell out of this guy, but 20 years at his alma mater, yes I know insert smack to head here, not likely to leave)
Ed Orgeron (may have connection to Gross, former SU coach, but no northeastern coaching experience in 15 years)
Chuck Priore (possibly my top choice right now...lots of northeastern coaching experience, always has his teams ready to play. Only downside is no NFL experience and no top level college experience...not sure what kind of asst coaches he would be able to bring)
Jim Tressel (I said kicking around...theory here is so toxic may take less $. But an obvious stepping stone candidate, and we prob dont want that contamination)
Randy Edsall (falling stock alert...probably zero chance...no way he's getting a raise off 6-18...would be the perfect candidate if not for his performance)
Dave Wannstedt (swap homes with Marrone? recruited not that long ago not too far away...and honestly, underachieved in Pitt, but wasnt awful as far as record)

i think butch davis would be a great hire