With ND to ACC, who are the biggest losers? | Syracusefan.com

With ND to ACC, who are the biggest losers?

HtownOrange

Living Legend
There are many losers in all of this. The biggest that I see are the Big East teams led by UConn and Rutgers. They no longer can count on ND to assist in bowls, TV negotiations and lose a decent hoops and lacrosse team.

The Big 12 is a big loser in all of this, too. Texas clout was brandied about so much that Longhorn fans around Houston believed that ND was a matter of when. They could never justify why ND was so adamant about playing TTech, Baylor, ISU Kansas and KState, but just knew that th ND needed to join teh conference to plat Texas...and OU. So much for Bevo logic.

I also see the B1G as losers because ND is far less likely to join the Mid-West centered conference than before joining the ACC, but nowhere near as big a loser as the Big East and Big 12.

Louisville, in the short term. They are actually a good program in both football and hoops, and now are stuck in nowheresville. The Big East provided a platform for them to upgrade themselves, and that platform has dropped out. Unless (until?) they get a lifeline, they'll languish a bit. They generate a ton of revenue by themselves, but the TV dollars are huge, and Louisville's cut is about to tank.

There are many losers in all of this. The biggest that I see are the Big East teams led by UConn and Rutgers. They no longer can count on ND to assist in bowls, TV negotiations and lose a decent hoops and lacrosse team.

The Big 12 is a big loser in all of this, too. Texas clout was brandied about so much that Longhorn fans around Houston believed that ND was a matter of when. They could never justify why ND was so adamant about playing TTech, Baylor, ISU Kansas and KState, but just knew that th ND needed to join teh conference to plat Texas...and OU. So much for Bevo logic.

I also see the B1G as losers because ND is far less likely to join the Mid-West centered conference than before joining the ACC, but nowhere near as big a loser as the Big East and Big 12.

1) insider prophets
on WVU realignment board who predicted every scenerio except the ones that actually happened.

2) WVU:
on island in an OK/TX /great plains conference.

3) certain FSU and Clemson hyperfans
screaming they want to join a "football conference" and play in a division with ISU, KSU, KU, WVU and team to be named.

4) Big East:
ND is/was an important remaining link between the BB and all sport schools. Even if the BB schools remain, the conference is seriously weakened as a brand and increasingly going to be perceived as a hodgpodge collection of schools. Do the BB schools really want to remain with the all sports schools, which now include UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, Memphis?

5) Big 12:
they are actually in a great situation in many ways: 10 teams, each team plays each other, excellent payouts, excellent bowls, stability via GOR, compact geography, though WVU sticks out like an odd member.

Longer term, however, their compact geography, limited ability to benefit from a true conference channel, given the LHN, limited attractive expansion opportunities may end up limiting their future status relative to the other Big 5 conferences.

6) SEC and Big 10:
the ND add is a big plus to the ACC strategy to gain credibility and TV viewership and dollars within a north-south east coast conference and a huge plus for conference stability.

Combine with the huge 3 times revenue penalty for leaving. Combine with the positive attraction of playing football against ND every 3 years along with other sports.

It seems far less likely that ACC schools will be in play for a future Big 10 or SEC expansion. And far more likely the Big 10 will remain a midwest conference and the SEC a southwest conference with their current members.

There are many losers in all of this. The biggest that I see are the Big East teams led by UConn and Rutgers.

They were big losers before the Domers' announcement, so really, nothing has changed for them.

big 10 will take ru sooner or later
Why? They don't need them. They already have a large portion of the extremely fragmented (and pro sports focused) NYC market with their alumni presence and the BIG10 Network is already on all the cable systems here in the city. Rutgers offers nothing.

RUUUUUU and his promise to us that they'd be in the ACC or Big 10 within 5 years.

The biggest loser is Louisville. They have an elite hoops team and a legit BCS contender caliber football team and money yet they've been demoted back to the minor leagues.

I think it's fairly surprising the Big12 never moved (yet) on adding both LVille and Cincy.

The biggest loser is Louisville. They have an elite hoops team and a legit BCS contender caliber football team and money yet they've been demoted back to the minor leagues.

I think it's fairly surprising the Big12 never moved (yet) on adding both LVille and Cincy.
Poor academic standards are holding them back (and Rick Pitino's Kernel Sanders suit isn't helping either).

The biggest loser is Rutgers. Has been and always will be.

images

That has always seemed like the most logical fit to me, with regards to both academics and athletics.

When you think of conference expansion losers, your mind immediately moves to the Big East. There are 4 Big East teams worth mentioning. Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, and Cincinnati. Out of those four, I think UConn has the least chance of being picked up by a real conference so in my mind they are the biggest losers.

I dont think conference expansion is over, but with the ACC holding at 14.5 I do think its going be a little while before it picks back up again. With Calhoun retiring, there is a very good chance that UConn looks a lot less desirable when things pick back up then they do now. I also think that the next step in conference expansion will mean the destruction of the Big 12, so UConn is going to have a lot of competition to fill one remaining ACC spot, or a few open B1G spots.

Whether by design or just sheer greed, I am convinced there are only going to be four power conferences when it is all said and done. ND has all but assured that those four conferences will be SEC, B1G, Pac 12, and ACC. Now that Notre Dame is off the table, Texas has a more bargaining power as the only gettable big name left. Some conference will give them a special deal just to get them on board and that will lead to the demise of the Big 12.

That makes the entire Big 12 (outside of Texas and Oklahoma) big losers, some of them will find homes but some wont, and all of them should be nervous. Louisville and Cincinnati, as the two teams most likely to be picked up by the Big 12, fall into the losers bracket.

We may be entering the calm before the final storm. I'm glad Syracuse has itself in a position of strength.

Poor academic standards are holding them back (and Rick Pitino's Kernel Sanders suit isn't helping either).

Oooh, I hated the colnel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face.

Why? They don't need them. They already have a large portion of the extremely fragmented (and pro sports focused) NYC market with their alumni presence and the BIG10 Network is already on all the cable systems here in the city. Rutgers offers nothing.

Now that ND is an ACC team, I'm really dying to hear a good argument of why Rutgers to the Big 10, or UConn to the ACC makes any sense at all. And before anyone starts to make that argument, keep in mind that in this case, sense starts with this kind of s: $

Schools don't vote in favor of expansion when they make less money. At least I wouldn't think so.

I'm not convinced that Texas or Oklahoma are losers in this. Sure, they wanted ND (who wouldn't). But I think they're perfectly happy with 10 teams. More money per team, and no Conf Championship game to knock the Red River Rivalry winner out of the national championship game. Keep in mind that these are 2 schools that think more often than not, it is the only lose-able game on either's schedule. But crazy things have happened in that league's Conf Championship game more than any other.

The 5 schools remaining from the 2005 re-configured Big East, yeah, they haven't had a lot of good news lately.

Bingo...plus rumor that Coach Strong is talking to Arkansas.

Another loser is Syracusefan.com readers as RutgersAl won't be around as much.

I still think Louisville would be a great addition to the ACC athletically. Invite them and give them 10 years to revamp their academic mission and student base.

Tipp, if there were such a thing as a big NY&NJ TV market that Rutgers brings to the table, the Big East would have never disintegrated.

It's a myth. A chimera. And the Big East TV contract is proof positive that no such large market has existed.

The idea is that somehow having Rutgers in the Big Ten will change the market bringing forth interest and support that never evidenced itself during Rutgers Big East existence is a fantasy that the networks and the expanding conferences just aren't buying into. Just look at all the small market teams that have been added to these expanding conferences (VT, WVU, SU, Missouri) and Pitt and Miami and BC that are quasi-small market teams. (Lots of TVs but not much local interest).

The only team I know of that was beating the drum for Big Ten expansion eastward was Penn State through Joe Pa. And, as you can appreciate, I doubt anyone in the Big Ten is worried about what Penn State needs at this point in time. Rutgers' only advocate has lost it clout.

I'm betting that after a few years in C-USA 2, Rutgers will start looking at the Patriot League or a a conference with UConn, Army, Navy, etc. They are bleeding money on football and that can't go on forever in a State with New Jersey's political climate.

Bingo...plus rumor that Coach Strong is talking to Arkansas.

Another loser is Syracusefan.com readers as RutgersAl won't be around as much.

I still think Louisville would be a great addition to the ACC athletically. Invite them and give them 10 years to revamp their academic mission and student base.

Or let them improve their academics and then invite them when, and if, they can pull that off.

1) insider prophets
on WVU realignment board who predicted every scenerio except the ones that actually happened.

2) WVU:
on island in an OK/TX /great plains conference.

3) certain FSU and Clemson hyperfans
screaming they want to join a "football conference" and play in a division with ISU, KSU, KU, WVU and team to be named.

4) Big East:
ND is/was an important remaining link between the BB and all sport schools. Even if the BB schools remain, the conference is seriously weakened as a brand and increasingly going to be perceived as a hodgpodge collection of schools. Do the BB schools really want to remain with the all sports schools, which now include UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, Memphis?

5) Big 12:
they are actually in a great situation in many ways: 10 teams, each team plays each other, excellent payouts, excellent bowls, stability via GOR, compact geography, though WVU sticks out like an odd member.

Longer term, however, their compact geography, limited ability to benefit from a true conference channel, given the LHN, limited attractive expansion opportunities may end up limiting their future status relative to the other Big 5 conferences.

6) SEC and Big 10:
the ND add is a big plus to the ACC strategy to gain credibility and TV viewership and dollars within a north-south east coast conference and a huge plus for conference stability.

Combine with the huge 3 times revenue penalty for leaving. Combine with the positive attraction of playing football against ND every 3 years along with other sports.

It seems far less likely that ACC schools will be in play for a future Big 10 or SEC expansion. And far more likely the Big 10 will remain a midwest conference and the SEC a southwest conference with their current members.

Good summary. I see the Big 12 adding Louisville and Cincinnati or BYU as the Big East continues to crumble. That will make WVU less of an odd duck, it will give them a championship game, and it will bring their footprint into Ohio, where there is great HS football.

Oooh, I hated the colnel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face.
Yes ... hard not to laugh (as McDonough, Rafftery and Bilas did). In fairness, the suit was part of U/L's planned 'whiteout' ... still, the Kernel Sanders symbolism was embarassingly apparent. Oddly enough, I hear that the fried chicken center is a great facility.