With this current roster what is the light at the end of the tunnel the next 2-3 years? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With this current roster what is the light at the end of the tunnel the next 2-3 years?

Next year depends on who stays. If Hughes and Marek stay we will improve. If they leave its going to be rough.

My point has nothing to do with this season.
We all know we are going to struggle this year but there isn’t going to be a Center next year who can come in and help the offense. If Carey goes then we will lose a PG option.
If it’s going to take 3 years to be competitive that is 9 years of mediocrity from JB. It’s amazing how he can’t see enough is enough.

I am not expecting to win a NC every season or even win a conference title but we are looking at a decade( 9 years to be exact) of mediocre regular season play. If it truly is going to take 2 more years to be top 4 ACC good: That goes on JB’s ledger. He is also sensitive to criticism that isn’t a good mix.
I'm not a fortune teller. I'm not going to predict what next year or the year after are going to look like. Seems strained to do that to me.

We all know we are going to struggle this year but there isn’t going to be a Center next year who can come in and help the offense. If Carey goes then we will lose a PG option.
If it’s going to take 3 years to be competitive that is 9 years of mediocrity from JB. It’s amazing how he can’t see enough is enough.

I am not expecting to win a NC every season or even win a conference title but we are looking at a decade( 9 years to be exact) of mediocre regular season play. If it truly is going to take 2 more years to be top 4 ACC good: That goes on JB’s ledger. He is also sensitive to criticism that isn’t a good mix.

It might take a few years just to be middle of the pack in the ACC.

It might take a few years just to be middle of the pack in the ACC.
I think we are close to middle of the pack in 8-10 range this year. Even if we are a little lower this year if we one player developed I think we are 8-10 range.

I think Syracuse should have top 4 expectations. It’s hard to win this conference but we aren’t close to that.

9 years of mediocrity is a lot. I think it’s more likely than not we are looking at struggling the next 2 years.
We have to hope that by year 3 we are top 25 good.

It’s crazy when I just realize we are looking at 9 years of mediocrity.

I agree. I expect a Syracuse team to have a minimum of 12 league wins(top 5 league finish) and at most 1 non league loss with 2 ACC tourney wins. 22-9 and at least a 5 seed should be the baseline Syracuse season. The last time we have seen that is 2014 and we struggled late that season. We should never have more than 2 seasons in a row of more than ten losses.

Is this a team that if nobody leaves next year is a top 4 ACC level team?
If it’s not then the fact we are really young doesn’t matter.
Very few if any P5 teams keep their entire starting 5 in college basketball over 2 years.

The light at the end of the tunnel would necessitate roster turnover and likely changes to 1-2 assistant coaches to compete where I think most fans would want us to be.

Why are we talking about Buddy’s scholarship? Who would we have given it to? A walk-on?

Who have we lost because we didn’t have a scholarship to give them...last year, this year or next when Buddy has had one??

I don’t think we’ve legitimately lost anyone due to not having a scholarship to give them since Huerter and that wasn’t because of Buddy.

Because Buddy would not start at any other program in the ACC and that is the truth. Never said the kid cant play. Go back and look at the guards that started here and tell who he would have played over.

I have no confidence this is true. Our centers don't get stronger. They aren't forced to lift. I know I was rough on Chukwu, but he gained no weight the year he was out due to the eye problems. I know he had leg issues one year, but there was no reason for him to not come back 15-25 pounds bigger after the eye issue.

Same is true for BMK, and now Sid and Marek. No changes in their bodies are apparent at all.

To me this is the big key -- not simply the centers but simply development. There is a ton of talk on here about recruiting and I get it because, if we're being honest, we certainly aren't closing our top targets with any sort of regularity. The recruiting has been underwhelming at best and disastrous at worst.

Having said that, I don't really know that I dislike the players. I think JGIII can do some things at the point -- he's in a spot where he is adjusting to a huge leap in competition and physicality. I think he'll adjust. Goodine could be a really solid 2-way player. Guerrier needs to channel his athleticism so that it compliments his skill, not obscures it. Edwards has potential. There is offensive skill but he needs to get stronger (i know, I know) and get comfortable with the physicality. Buddy is a solid piece I just think we're seeing roughly the extent of what he's going to offer. He'll be much better if we can create looks for him instead of looking to him to get his own looks and play 35 mpg. Not sure that changes but we can hope. Woody and Bras are a bit raw but certainly bring length and athleticism to the zone. Bras can rebound which, if he can get himself on the floor, could be a positive development. JBA? Not sure but he could be intriguing.

At the end of the day, I don't know. Would have certainly been nice to add Andre Jackson to this mix b/c he adds explosiveness and athleticism, but I'm not really certain we'll be terrible with this core.

I think we will be better next year. Out two young centers will be stronger. Which is what they need. Our other young players should be better as well. It is never quite as bad as it looks. I agree that JB has stayed too long. But we are over reacting a bit to what we saw in new York. We were terrible. And we are probably going to be a bad road team. But OSU, Penn St and Virginia are all ranked very high on Ken Poms defensive stats. I am hopeful we will get better as the season goes on.
I hope you are right on the "stronger" part. However, our bigs the last few years seem to all have a gene that protects them from adding muscle or beef. I am in the believe it when I see it mode on all off season improvements.
I agree that we will be good at home and struggle on the road.

Yeah. I don't see the calvary coming next year. If we lose Hughes, which I expect we will, we could be worse next year.

I would not be shocked if we have back-to-back losing seasons. Then the AD is in a really difficult spot.
Why does everyone assume we’ll lose Hughes at the end of the season?

Again while Buddy wouldn’t be “free” it’s not hard to pay JB a bonus that would cover whatever it would cost Buddy plus a couple extra thousand dollars for JB to get this done.
Buddy doesn’t need to be on scholarship if the staff can add another quality player.
Not as a knock on Buddy but to help the program get an extra player.
Both sides we would win in that scenario.
Would the NCAA allow that to happen.?

Because he’s going to be about 61 years old then, and he’ll want to get ready to file for Social Security retirement benefits. :p

But seriously, he’s on the older side, and he’ll have been in college for 4 years by then.

Will probably want to go try to play hoops for pay, rather than for free schooling.

Would the NCAA allow that to happen.?
Why not? The NCAA has no control over how much money the coach is paid. Coaches get extensions all the time.
Give JB a renegotiated contract.

Yeah. I don't see the calvary coming next year. If we lose Hughes, which I expect we will, we could be worse next year.

I would not be shocked if we have back-to-back losing seasons. Then the AD is in a really difficult spot.

Scary statement, there's nothing difficult about it, bye.

I have NEVER been vocally negative about predicting an SU season record, letting it playout. However in respones to the title of the op, I feel SU is going to struggle to be even in the middle third of the ACC. 2 years, 3 years. AND furthermore, they will be so for the foreseeable future.

imo.
1. If we managed to get a 2/3 like Malachi/Battle as a freshmen,
2. return Hughes/Guerrier and
3. Edwards learns to cover ground defensively in the offseason,
We will be a top 1-5 acc team and nobody would have to play over 30mpg. We would go 8-10 deep.
One recruit away.

Last edited:
I have NEVER been vocally negative about predicting an SU season record, letting it playout. However in respones to the title of the op, I feel SU is going to struggle to be even in the middle third of the ACC. 2 years, 3 years. AND furthermore, they will be so for the foreseeable future.

We also have to consider that things can snowball. Losing begets losing. It will be hard to keep players' confidence up. Turning around a losing attitude will be difficult and something that Boeheim has never really had to do. Neither has he had to recruit for a losing program. And all this is happening as he approaches 80. It's taxing for a young man and I don't think a 76 year old is somehow going to have an easier time of it.

We also have to consider that things can snowball. Losing begets losing. It will be hard to keep players' confidence up. Turning around a losing attitude will be difficult and something that Boeheim has never really had to do. Neither has he had to recruit for a losing program. And all this is happening as he approaches 80. It's taxing for a young man and I don't think a 76 year old is somehow going to have an easier time of it.
Apparently you misunderstood. I meant this is SU's fate no mater what. With or without JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom