Wofford | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wofford

I watched the 2nd half of the game tonight and could not believe how many calls went against UNCG when Wofford went on their run.

I agree they did get a lot of calls.

This is a classic case of why I hate these formulas and ranking systems. Wofford has unequivocally played a more difficult non conference schedule than SU. It's not even close. Just crazy.

You’re only looking at the top end of their OOC schedule. You have to include the bottom end, some whom I’ve never heard of.

High Point
Carver College
Coppin St
Mars Hill
Kentucky Christian
Coastal Carolina
UNC Asheville

You’re only looking at the top end of their OOC schedule. You have to include the bottom end, some whom I’ve never heard of.

High Point
Carver College
Coppin St
Mars Hill
Kentucky Christian
Coastal Carolina
UNC Asheville

And that's why the formula is so messed up. Essentially what you're saying is that Wofford's cupcakes were weaker than SU's cupcakes. So Wofford's weakest opponents were ranked 225-300 while SU's were 100-150- who cares? Either way it's a W. And nearly all of SU's non-con games are in the Dome. But then compare each team's six toughest non-con games where it's competitive. Not even remotely close.

Last edited:
Woff def got a good whistle
I was rooting for Wofford because if UNCG won it would have taken a spot away for at-large teams since Wofford would have made the tourney anyway. But I hate to see a team screwed. Good chance Wofford wins anyway but who knows?

And that's why the formula is so messed up. Essentially what you're saying is that Wofford's cupcakes were weaker than SU's cupcakes. So Wofford's weakest opponents were ranked 225-300 while SU's were 100-150- who cares? Either way it's a W. And nearly all of SU's non-con games are in the Dome. But then compare each team's six toughest non-con games where it's competitive. Not even remotely close.

When are we going to run into disagreements? I have had more likes than anything for you in the past week.

Ultimately, I think we tend to agree that schools like this should get a chance. But I just know, until this year anyway, the system will almost always go against them.

Yup.

Also a school like Wofford can't get 1 off home games vs 100-150 schools like we can they probably have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to not owe a return game.

Next year with a new back court scheduling that way might be correct. This year it was lame we were coming off a Sweet 16 with everyone back and the team couldn't get up for any of the games other than @OSU. You have nothing to lose when you play the big dogs OOC losses don't hurt you and help SOS and wins are great. I'm SICK of the ACC so to me its a joke that we get a B1G school every other year and that is it for attractive OOC opponents at the dome St Johns and Georgetown don't count.

He’d probably light us up but against P5 teams, McGee was 14/59. 24%
Watched the game. Unless we have a total melt down we win easily.

first time I had seen them and was left under whelmed. if they get a soft team they could win a game but anyone who defends is going to give them trouble.

Also the SOCON needs to get their stripes on a fitness program - fast.

When are we going to run into disagreements? I have had more likes than anything for you in the past week.

Ultimately, I think we tend to agree that schools like this should get a chance. But I just know, until this year anyway, the system will almost always go against them.

Haha. No we're def on the same page here. Every year many of us complain about it and yet the Committee does it to them over and over. It really is a shame. Loyola was obviously an automatic last year but how great was it to watch them make their run?

A little better than Buddy?

Fletcher Magee can stroke it. Let us not get crazy with our take here...

During last night's title game the graphic they put up said he had the 2nd most 3's in college history

I grew up in the NYC mega-club scene fake id’ing my way into SoundFactory, Exit, Vinyl as a kid then Pacha before they closed. I still go out in Miami from time to time when I’m down there, and I have no idea what this is. It looks...terrible.

Were you in NYC during the club kid days?

I'm impressed by Woffords non conference schedule its a lot tougher than ours when we want a cookie for scheduling teams like UB at home. UNC, @KU, @OU, @Miss St, South Carolina. Sounds more fun than Buffalo and boring Big East foes.

The two teams they just beat UNCG and ETSU are both pretty good. I would not want to be the 5/6 seed who has to face them.

They went 18-0 in their league. The coach/AD knew they had a great team and scheduled tough non cons to make sure they'd get an at large if they didn't win the SoCon tourney.

Were you in NYC during the club kid days?
Nah, I'm 34, that was before my time. I was 18, going to afterhours at SoundFactory w/ Jonathan Peters, before they closed, early mornings at Vinyl with Danny Tenaglia, and then DJ Boris at Pacha during the time they were open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom