Worst coaching performance ive seen in a long time | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Worst coaching performance ive seen in a long time

Its the freakin Zone - very hard to board when playing Zone and very hard to defend the trey line.

OK - JB fanatics, please explain to me the Zone benefits in the modern game. Just because it worked for 40 years, doesnt mean it still works.....and it hasnt for the last ten.

The worst part is, JB just wont change as it breaks down in front of his eyes.
Makes teams take a lot of three point shots rather than higher percentage ones. Makes teams work deeper in the shot clock and take more desperation shots as time is running out. Forces teams to play against a defense they are unfamiliar with. Miami shot 7-23 (30%) from 3 last night and 5 of those were from Pack who was shooting from so deep that not even a 3-3-5 defense would have stopped him. They were 18-37 (49%) from 2.

There are games where the zone is ineffective and I would prefer an alternative. Last night was not one of those games.

What does he have against Torrence. What's the point of having an experienced backup if he doesn't play there
Torrence played 11 minutes last night and had 0 points and 1 assist. I get that Mintz played poorly with 5 turnovers but he did have 6 assists. Not sure Symir would have been a positive, but could have been less of a negative I guess. I think it was telling that he only took 3 FTs. There was a lot of contact on his drives but officials were clearly not going to bail him out on out of control drives by putting him on the line.

Brown was not good in his 13 minutes. They weren’t doubling Jesse so he wasn’t left free to get the easy shots or free weak side rebounds.

Well, it’s why you have to use the portal...and we don’t
Except for the four guys we’ve brought in in two years of the portal?

Brown was not that great tonight but I think he is a guy you have to play. He is a lunch pail guy. He clocks in a goes to work. He has great hands to create steals. He is always in great position to rebound or defend.
I just think you have to have him in the game.
Boeheim was complaining about our rebounding at the presser…hello? Brown is one of our best rebounders.
He says Judah had an off night but still played him all game. Bell couldn’t do anything but still played 20min. Makes zero sense to me.
Brown is our best frontcourt defender and in my opinion its not close. He also gets more hands on balls near the rim than any player we have - he had a couple of tap backs tonight when he couldn't grab the ball. Jesse and Benny were not executing on D or the glass at the end. Maliq brings better results than both.

Torrence played 11 minutes last night and had 0 points and 1 assist. I get that Mintz played poorly with 5 turnovers but he did have 6 assists. Not sure Symir would have been a positive, but could have been less of a negative I guess. I think it was telling that he only took 3 FTs. There was a lot of contact on his drives but officials were clearly not going to bail him out on out of control drives by putting him on the line.

Brown was not good in his 13 minutes. They weren’t doubling Jesse so he wasn’t left free to get the easy shots or free weak side rebounds.
The officiating was incredibly inconsistent especially in the second half. The officials were fine with our guys getting contact, but if we breathed on a Miami player it was automatically two shots.

I wasn't able to watch the whole game, but the last 12 minutes and I'm not one to criticize refereeing too much (OSU and Butler excluded), but that was ... not good.
Makes teams take a lot of three point shots rather than higher percentage ones. Makes teams work deeper in the shot clock and take more desperation shots as time is running out.
That sounds a lot like our offense.

Jesse doesn’t get taken out.

If the NIL is right, he should consider coming back depending on what the NBA situation looks like.

All the freshmen should come back too.

Not really concerned about anyone else.
Did the nil situation get fixed for foreign players?

Except for the four guys we’ve brought in in two years of the portal?
Are we taking guys that we really have to work for? Were we fighting off top schools for Hima and Jimmy’s services?

I think it was telling that he only took 3 FTs. There was a lot of contact on his drives but officials were clearly not going to bail him out on out of control drives by putting him on the line.

And yet they were bailing out Wong. Very Inconsistent officiating last night.

Are we taking guys that we really have to work for? Were we fighting off top schools for Hima and Jimmy’s services?
We are talking about players that we brought in as transfers via the portal we don’t use. Don’t recall any qualifiers in the post I responded to.

I thought Jimmy was technically a grad transfer. Didn’t think that was portal, but you may be right.
I think the grad transfer exception no longer applies for initial transfer. We have certainly brought in football grad transfers that WERE entered in the transfer portal.

I think the grad transfer exception no longer applies for initial transfer. We have certainly brought in football grad transfers that WERE entered in the transfer portal.
Think you’re correct.

The 35 footers certainly helped. Even in man I don’t think you’re guarding those
But vs man D the shooter can’t just plant his feet for 10 seconds in one spot, catch the ball , and have all day to release it .. the distance the difficulty provides is more than offset by the quality of time / space you are afforded in shooting it.

So many guys at that level can routinely bury shots from the logo if you don’t make them move their feet even a little

That is all out the window at the end when it was so clear to everyone that Mintz was in a terrible state of mind.

You get 4 in a half. When’s the last time we didn’t have one to end a game ? You always leave one for end of game situations. Cmon.
I beleive that's incorrect. You get 4 to start the game. You get one "use it or lose it" TO that gets added back for the second half. If you take 2 TOs in the first half, you only have 3 remaining for the 2nd half.
That said, I believe we had 4 at the start of the 2nd half.

This is the correct mindset. The players aren’t the issue. We are seeing obvious improvements and player development that is great from the staff.
Coach Boeheim has played a lot of guys and let them improve. The in-game is okay but the lack of changes just kills the team.

We are a top 25 team next year if we can replace Joe and Jesse production.

Don't we say that every year?

Look how much better we were last year @Duke w Symir running things. We were better for a reason, it's because he's an under-control prototypical point guard. Not that Judah isn't, but Judah was targeted by Miami because they knew he is turnover prone, and it worked. Based on his performance last night and his non-clutch performances in previous games Symir needed to be in there. I'm very upset about this loss.

I don't know if you can say it was the worst coaching performance ever because he didn't sub out his starting point guard. What else did he do wrong ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom