Worst JB Team Ever | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Worst JB Team Ever

If forward is your biggest worry I think you are going to be in for a surprise. Those three guys will make a very solid forward rotation this year IMO. If they are all back the following season we will be better at forward than we've been in a long time.

We need at least 1 of them to be money from 3. You don't get it done with your only outside shooters at the guard spot in today's NCAA.

Here are some things to consider.
1: we have a solid guard rotation. Each guy can play both positions. Thorpe and Washington can shoot. Frank has talent if he can get his head straight.

I-MATT: Frank is a huge risk. Just look at last year.

2: we have 3 solid centers. TT, Chewy, Sid Vicious. This is a huge upgrade over last year.

I-MATT: Thompson is a solid offensive center; PC was awful before he got hurt last year. I was shocked at how bad he looked on defense. I think Sidibe will be our best C, and there's a chance TT could be a problem, if he doesn't like playing zone, as they are saying.

3: Euro Bris and Moyer can play the 3 as well as Battle if needed.

I-MATT: Battle won't play forward. We have extra forwards, not extra guards. One of the other 3 guys has to make 35% from three (hitting at least 1 or 2 a game), or else the paint will be too clogged and our offense will have a very hard time.

4: Moyer TT Sid Euro Bris can play the 4.

I-MATT: The one thing I can whole-heartedly agree with, although they are young, very young.

Lots of depth, lots of Combos, great size, adequate shooting, a star in Battle. Looks like we have a ton of solid pieces. I like this squad way better than last year. Defensively we should be greatly improved and i think that we will also be much better on O. Solid team.

Whether or not shooting will be adequate is up in the air.
Whether or not chemistry will be a problem is a 50/50 bet.
Whether this team can play the zone well is also up in the air.
When there are this many questions, teams don't usually exceed expectations.

The shooting is the biggest concern to me, especially since we don't run anymore. If we can't be respectable from 3 it won't be pretty.

the 2015-2016 team didn't lack talent, it just didn't play well for long stretches of the season. you could make the
case that none of the last three years have lacked talent, but their records haven't been up to the expected JB team.
if MSU is waiting in the 2nd round, SU's last three years go 18-13 (banned), 20-14 (ncaa round of 32), and 19-15 (nit
2nd round). the final four makes things look better. what is hurting SU is that they can't build up any continuity
of players learning to play in JB's system, and it seems that the staff hasn't quite settled on chasing guys who leave
early or recruiting guys to play for a longer career. schools thrive either way, but SU's trying to straddle the two, and
it hasn't set consistently yet.

their worst team by record is two years before Pearl showed up, an entirely different era. are you talking talent or
performance. last year's was not very good by performance at all.

kev

e

Good comments. The one and done thing has certainly thrown a monkey wrench into things and we have indeed had some good success in recent years.

Look - the other side of the coin to my post ... JB seems to be wrestling with the problem. He is turning to graduate transfers to recapture the senior experience factor and he is dipping more deeply into the international market (Brissett - Canada; Sidibi- Africa; Dolezaj - Slovakia). Add in Chukwu and fully one third of this year's team will be foreign.

Even so, it is disturbing that hotly recruited Fr. talent now seems to be giving us a pass. Our norm of landing the top drawer 4 star seems to have slipped to the mid lever 3 star in just a few years. We were happly to pull in Elijah Hughes, a 3 Star transfer from the East Carolina Panthers!

It merits more discussion here.
"In just a few years" isnt accurate though.
It's one year and one year only. In 2016, Battle was a top 25-30 player and was widely acknowledged to be underrated because of his high school injury. Thompson and Moyer were both 4 star, top 100 players. This incoming class is the only one you could argue doesn't have a consensus top 100 talent. However, both Sibide and Brissett were rated by 247's own scout as top 100, and I believe Brissett wasn't eligible for ESPN's top 100 because he played his high school ball in Canada. Lots of scouts and coaches seem to think he's a top 100, even top 50 talent. Meanwhile, Dolezaj could turn out to be an under the radar gem. Anyways, one year does not make a trend.

the 2015-2016 team didn't lack talent, it just didn't play well for long stretches of the season. you could make the
case that none of the last three years have lacked talent, but their records haven't been up to the expected JB team.
if MSU is waiting in the 2nd round, SU's last three years go 18-13 (banned), 20-14 (ncaa round of 32), and 19-15 (nit
2nd round). the final four makes things look better. what is hurting SU is that they can't build up any continuity
of players learning to play in JB's system, and it seems that the staff hasn't quite settled on chasing guys who leave
early or recruiting guys to play for a longer career. schools thrive either way, but SU's trying to straddle the two, and
it hasn't set consistently yet.

their worst team by record is two years before Pearl showed up, an entirely different era. are you talking talent or
performance. last year's was not very good by performance at all.

kev

Solid post. I think there was some low end talent for sure on those teams but it looks like the teams who have some lottery picks or else just have a great system and fit for it (Villanova) are the ones putting together solid seasons with some consistent winning. Not talking Final 4s at all but more putting yourself in a position to do well in the Tourney, getting a decent seed, etc.

I think we have better 3-4 yr program guys now and 2018 should hopefully bring in some of those elite talents necessary for SU to thrive, especially how JB runs offense. What I haven't seen the past 3 years or so are enough playmakers. Whether it is enough guys who can make plays off the bounce (both G/F) or having forwards who can pass. I was watching the Tourney this past season seeing all these teams with guys making plays (the backup soph PG on Xavier for example) wondering why we don't have any guys capable of stepping up like that. SU got unlucky with Coleman/Diagne/Chukwu so hopefully some scoring in the paint will start to happen.

Sounds like one of those old classic posters...Matt134...???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom