worst regular season loss each decade | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

worst regular season loss each decade

That DePaul game ... they literally did not miss. Forget their FG pct to end the game and whatever it was, they didn't miss.

That's the worst game I have seen the team play since I have been following them.

I would agree. And that was one of the reasons why Gerry's tournament was so stupendous and one for the ages. I would say it was the basketball equivalent of a dinosaur being grown from DNA trapped in amber!

The Wichita St. Game was like a cosmic joke too. DNic blows a wide open lay-up with 40 seconds that would have taken the lead left after we were down 35-12 at one point.

It was like the basketball version of Oklahoma 1994

Does anybody from the pay side know the truth behind that DePaul game? In all seriousness that game just DOES NOT happen unless 3/4 of the team is stoned or pissed at Boeheim and trying to stick it in his face or some damn thing.
I've always felt there was more to the story. These kind of games do happen in the sports world but watching that game, it just felt very dirty.

Toss-up between Pitt '08 and DePaul '06. I'll say DePaul. Neither are fun, but if given the choice between blowing a lead late and not showing up from the opening tip, I prefer blowing a lead.

The loss to drexel the year of that witchita state game yuck..

I don't know if it counts as the preseason tournments might but don't forget the
09-10 BET loss to hoyas AO goes down with 5 minutes left right before the ncaa tournament double blow big time and just coming off a loss to louisville.

There was another game in louisville where we fell apart at the end up 12 devendorf had some late turnovers.

Pitt Hak's senior year at home. Lost by 20. I waited three hours in zero degree weather to get a front row seat in the student section to watch two top ten teams. That's when I knew that team was doing nothing in the tournament despite returning everyone from a sweet 16 team.

That was the Sweet 16 team, but it was every bit as bad as that. February 2004. Worst regular season game that group had, for sure. Lowest point total up to that point in Dome history, maybe? Horrible performance, made worse by the fact that everyone was anticipating a repeat of the previous year's Saturday night Pitt game.

You could probably do thread on the top ten worst losses of the 90's.
Most folks would say Richmond in 1991 - I still haven't seen that game, so I wasn't a witness. I was trying my hardest to get to a friend's house and when I did, I saw a bunch of Spiders jumping around for joy. But I know what it meant, history-wise.
The UMass loss the following year in the tourney 1992, with the bad out of bounds call that gave them the ball back and some dude named Harper hit a turnaround three with the shot clock about to expire.
The Arkansas loss in the tourney 1995 with our smartest player of all time calling a timeout we didn't have.
There was a Providence loss to Austin Croshere, when we had a decent lead.
There was a Seton Hall loss, which made me walk around the block, I think it was 1993 or 1994.
I cried after the 1996 championship game, only because I really liked that team and would miss watching them play.

The loss to drexel the year of that witchita state game yuck..

I don't know if it counts as the preseason tournments might but don't forget the
09-10 BET loss to hoyas AO goes down with 5 minutes left right before the ncaa tournament double blow big time and just coming off a loss to louisville.

There was another game in louisville where we fell apart at the end up 12 devendorf had some late turnovers.

Yeah, that Louisville game is high on the list. Yet another game in 2007 that could have prevented the snub.

Ohio in the Carrier Classic was a good call. Some of the games in that era were so discouraging, but that one stands out.

A number of 2006-2009 games come to mind - losses to Notre Dame and West Virginia where we were overmatched going in, tuning in knowing that we wouldn't play enough defense to have a chance; DePaul for sure; the home Cincinnati game earlier in 2006 (team got booed off the floor after a particularly bad stretch); both UMass games in 2007-2008. That was a rough era.

And every game during Seikaly's senior year was infuriating, capped by the Pittsburgh Senior Day loss (by one point - we made a layup at the buzzer when we were down three) that decided the Big East title. Nine losses on the year - underachieving performance by a talented group, all due to uneven play and an inability to make free throws.

This decade: the Seton Hall game when we quit and Dion lost his mind, the Nova and Georgetown games this year, or the Notre Dame game when Fab stayed home? I'd say Nova - the other teams played well in the other games, but we just outstunk them to force overtime.

You could probably do thread on the top ten worst losses of the 90's.
Most folks would say Richmond in 1991 - I still haven't seen that game, so I wasn't a witness. I was trying my hardest to get to a friend's house and when I did, I saw a bunch of Spiders jumping around for joy. But I know what it meant, history-wise.
The UMass loss the following year in the tourney 1992, with the bad out of bounds call that gave them the ball back and some dude named Harper hit a turnaround three with the shot clock about to expire.
The Arkansas loss in the tourney 1995 with our smartest player of all time calling a timeout we didn't have.
There was a Providence loss to Austin Croshere, when we had a decent lead.
There was a Seton Hall loss, which made me walk around the block, I think it was 1993 or 1994.
I cried after the 1996 championship game, only because I really liked that team and would miss watching them play.

I'm thinking of the late John Leahy three in a Big East tournament that upset us? That sucked.

Those were some of my favorite teams, but every year seemed to end in heartbreaking fashion. And we sprinkled in a number of other gut-punch regular-season losses, too. The UMass one still resonates the most with me. Bad seeding, bad call, totally improbable three. I know we weren't destined for great things (unlike all those other early-'90s teams, which had good paths to the Final Four), but that game hurt.

I've always felt there was more to the story. These kind of games do happen in the sports world but watching that game, it just felt very dirty.

Dude. DePaul was having guys who made 3 shots ALL YEAR canning 30 footers. Never seen anything like it.

And hope to God I never will again.

Certainly all of the above... and then there were these post season debacles:

The Vermont Catamounts with Tom "Did you know I beat Syracuse" Brennan
The Richmond Spiders ugh!!!!!

The T on Roberts near the end of that game still has me puzzled. I know he hung on but holy crud everybody did and to call it then.

That Richmond game always seems like one of those nightmares when you're trying to run and can't go anywhere. The defense just wasn't good enough to turn that one around for us.

Like most everyone here, 2008 Pitt home loss still aggravates me.

That DePaul blowout doesn't bug me one bit. Games you give away at the very end always hurt me more than blowouts.

As for the 90's, I'd go back to the very beginning of the decade. February, 1990... At home... Notre Dame hits a buzzer beater 3 to end Syracuse's 37 game home non-conf winning streak.

Most depressing loss I attended at the Dome, that's for sure.

Read more about that Notre Dame loss here: http://articles.latimes.com/1990-02-18/sports/sp-1575_1_beat-syracuse

This is the most depressing thread ever. Why don't we just talk about our prostate exams or the time we got a spinal tap?

I've had spinal taps on two separate occasions. The needle is H-U-G-E.

Seriously, think of the needle as the Ark... Don't look at it - no matter what - or you'll crap your pants.

That said, the process itself wasn't as bad as advertised*

*Though I don't wanna do it again.

I totally forgot about that Notre Dame game. Damon Sweet, Elmer Bennett and LaPhonso Ellis. I think that Irish team won 4 games that year.

The T on Roberts near the end of that game still has me puzzled. I know he hung on but holy crud everybody did and to call it then.

That Richmond game always seems like one of those nightmares when you're trying to run and can't go anywhere. The defense just wasn't good enough to turn that one around for us.

He got the Tech for slapping the backboard after the dunk. By rule, that is a Tech, but many refs let that go and don't call it. Especially at that point of the game. We had just taken the lead with a steal on the press and had all the momentum. That call was a killer

He got the Tech for slapping the backboard after the dunk. By rule, that is a Tech, but many refs let that go and don't call it. Especially at that point of the game. We had just taken the lead with a steal on the press and had all the momentum. That call was a killer
Very few players are that dumb to do what he did. The refs were right to call it. It was just a bad, bad day and nothing went right.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Any of our annual mid season three game losing streaks during the 80s and 90s back before JB stopped scheduling during exam week ;)

and the loss the cleveland state where they hit the 65 footer as time expired (cleve st was a pretty decent team that year, but still..)

This is the only game that I missed in the last 20 or so years. I guess I picked a good one to miss!

The '08 Pitt debacle was the worst I've seen. Three reasons:

1. I was so hungover I could barely watch the first half
2. The Paul Harris turnover almost killed me, with my friend from Pjttsburgh making a bad situation worse.
3. I had to stop twice on the ride home to vomit, both from hangover and result of game.

Easiest question ever asked here

1980 - Georgetown/last game at Manley

1991- Richmond/first two seed to ever lose in first round

2004 - Vermont

Easiest question ever asked here

1980 - Georgetown/last game at Manley

1991- Richmond/first two seed to ever lose in first round

2004 - Vermont

Clearly it's harder than you think...since 2 out of your three answers are invalid. ;)

Clearly it's harder than you think...since 2 out of your three answers are invalid. ;)

Wait...regular season. Got it.

Sorry.

My bad...but It's all about the post season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom