Would be interested to hear if folks who want Jimmy gone also want Babers fired? | Syracusefan.com

Would be interested to hear if folks who want Jimmy gone also want Babers fired?

Cuseball

Starter
Babers has had 3 out of 4 losing seasons and at the moment Jimmy has had none. Babers recruiting is at the lower end of the ACC and I would say Jimmy's recruiting is at middle of ACC. Jimmy's got some blowout losses as of late and Dino has a bunch.

If you want them both gone that's fine but if you want Dino to stay and Jimmy to go now, I would be interested in your reasons. Age probably plays a factor as well as the level of success we have been accustomed to under Jimmy vs the extended low level of achievement of SU football.

Cuse!

Syracuse football and Syracuse basketball are two different things. Dino Babers was brought here to restore greatness to a program and he gave us all a massive glimmer of hope with a 10 win season. i think it would be an incredibly bad move to fire Dino, he needs and deserves more time... as for Syracuse basketball, we’re meant to be a blue blood program and the past few seasons we’ve been a middle of the pack ACC team and on the bubble numerous times. it’s obvious at this point that our program is in a free fall from what it once was, and at this point i feel like we might have hit rock bottom. there’s no easy way to do it but you need to move on from Jim Boeheim. Dino has shown the ability to bring winning football back to Syracuse university while its becoming more and more clear that Jim Boeheim can’t maintain what he has created anymore and the game might be passing him by, that’s the difference in my opinion.

I am one of the people you refer to...

My justification... Babers overall trend line is still up. Sure this year was a step back but we just lost our 4 year QB and a bunch of o-linemen. Babers has demonstrated the willingness to change.. he canned his OC. Babers started from a really LOW point in terms of talent.

The big thing for me is that JB has shown ZERO willingness to address the problems that are in the program. If we were to make some changes either in style or recruiting then I would love for him to stay. If Babers made no changes after this past season I'd say he was coaching for his job next year.

The other point you bring up is age... college athletics is a young people's game... Babers' seems to be able to connect with kids still. Not sure if JB can say the same.

completely different situations. Dino inherited the 2nd worst roster in the Power 5 (sans Kansas) and while this year was a huge disappointment, it is clear that he can bring winning football to this program. While JB is a Hall of Fame coach with about 40 years of greatness, the last six(including this year) are way way below SU standards. Two NIT teams(counting the banned 2014-2015 team as an NIT team based on where they finished), two teams that got in by the skin of their teeth, another that was a blah team booted the first night and this year looks very much like it will be his first losing team. recruiting has gone way downhill, he is stubborn, will not change with the times offensively, refuses to teach any man to man defense, and is lucky he is still here, the administration could have easily dumped him after the second round of major sanctions under his watch instead of totally pu**ying out and doing the 3 year coach in waiting garbage that blew up in our faces when Hop left.

Last edited:
Apples to Oranges. If JB's replacement has a Dino-esqe 4 year run where the 10 win season is a deep NCAA run, think he would get a 5th year.

A few years ago you could make an argument that historically SU was a Top 10 program. Since then several schools have clearly passed us. The longer we keep JB as HC the harder it will be for SU to potentially reclaim its status. The way things are going it feels like we will be like Indiana post JB. That is fine but it isn’t the level JB built us up to. Unfortunately he is tearing it down.

Apples to Oranges. If JB's replacement has a Dino-esqe 4 year run where the 10 win season is a deep NCAA run, think he would get a 5th year.
new guy gets 3 years max to show he can at least restore recruiting to an upper ACC level. This is hoops. You can turn a program around in 1-2 years if you know what you're doing.

I think if you need to have reasons explained to you about why one needs to walk away while the other should feel secure in his job, you lack understanding of the two sports, in general, and the two programs, specifically.

A few years ago you could make an argument that historically SU was a Top 10 program. Since then several schools have clearly passed us. The longer we keep JB as HC the harder it will be for SU to potentially reclaim its status. The way things are going it feels like we will be like Indiana post JB. That is fine but it isn’t the level JB built us up to. Unfortunately he is tearing it down.

What programs have passed us in the last few years as “historical programs?”

What programs have passed us in the last few years as “historical programs?”
Villanova for sure.
Maybe Virginia as well.
I think we are have gone down a few pegs from probably the 8th best program to about 10-12 range.
Duke/Kansas/North Carolina/Kentucky top tier

Michigan/Michigan State/Louisville/Indiana/UCLA/ Villanova/ UConn/ Arizona/ Syracuse Virginia in that second tier.

Don't start nuthin' won't be nuthin'.

Villanova for sure.
Maybe Virginia as well.
I think we are have gone down a few pegs from probably the 8th best program to about 10-12 range.

Michigan/Michigan State/Louisville/Indiana/UCLA/ Villanova/ UConn/ Arizona/ Syracuse Virginia in that second tier.

Can’t argue with Villanova, that’s the first program I thought of.

The program that capped off its first deep tournament run in thirty five years has some work to do still imo.

Villanova for sure.
Maybe Virginia as well.

Michigan I wouldn’t put in that tier. Louisville, Nova, and Michigan State were behind us a decade ago. UVA is right on our ass. Our brand is taking a hit right now. The bigger the hit the harder it will be to get back.

Look at Indiana the last 17 years. I think that is our future. The bloom is already off for recruits and it will soon be for potential coaches.

Michigan I wouldn’t put in that tier. Louisville, Nova, and Michigan State were behind us a decade ago. UVA is right on our ass. Our brand is taking a hit right now. The bigger the hit the harder it will be to get back.

Look at Indiana the last 17 years. I think that is our future. The bloom is already off for recruits and it will soon be for potential coaches.

Virginia is on our ass? Their program is better than ours and I don't think it's close.

Virginia is on our ass? Their program is better than ours and I don't think it's close.

Historically? Or currently? Currently we are not a Top 10 ACC program let alone national.

Babers needs more time, clearly on the right trajectory, and willing to adapt.

Boeheim is a dinasour playing an outdated offense and defensive scheme with recruits that seemingly get worse every year. The game has evolved and left Cuse as the Neanderthals awaiting extinction.

Historically? Or currently? Currently we are not a Top 10 ACC program let alone national.

Currently. But are we going to hold onto sweet 16s and final fours claiming our historical dominance while we literally laugh at UConn and their 4 titles.

This fanbase is funny, when we talk currently we're good because UConn is so awful even though they have 3 more titles than us. but when we talk about total history we say we're up their with Louisville, Michigan St, Nova and Virginia we're better than them.

Personally I'm sick of living in the past. I really don't care much about anything but tomorrow and tomorrow looks like cow dung.

I am the first to say I was not happy at all how this football season turned out, but come on not the same at all. I watched our football team be damn near unwatchable for many years, Dino at least gets us talked about and got us nationally ranked within 4 years. If he does horrible again next season then we can talk, Jim will not get fired but stick a fork in him he done. He is not recruiting well, the zone isn't bothering anybody anymore, we are getting blown out by Penn State, Iowa, and Ok State come on. And to make it worse his post game press conferences are basically him saying we dont have the talent oh well, we will try to do something different but we are limited. OHHHHHHH one more thing we had a guy who was coach in waiting for wayyyy to long and now he is recruiting 5 star kids and at a program that is now superior to the Orange.

When JB cans at least one assistant to bring in a recruiter, I will be mollified.

Dino: Green and Growing
Jim: Red and Rotten.

Currently. But are we going to hold onto sweet 16s and final fours claiming our historical dominance while we literally laugh at UConn and their 4 titles.

This fanbase is funny, when we talk currently we're good because UConn is so awful even though they have 3 more titles than us. but when we talk about total history we say we're up their with Louisville, Michigan St, Nova and Virginia we're better than them.

Personally I'm sick of living in the past. I really don't care much about anything but tomorrow and tomorrow looks like cow dung.

Our program is aggressively mediocre right now. But there are factors that should allow us to weather the storm as long as the administration forces the issue.

I'm going to laugh at UConn because their fans are absolutely miserable to deal with. But they're coming off three losing seasons and now they're recruiting really well and have some momentum. I don't know if Calhoun's titles mean much for Hurley, but they're a big name with a big fan base that will wake up when they start winning again. So are we. Our ability to make a great hire is only limited by the administration's desire.

Michigan has 1 NC in 1989 and been to 4 titles games since then in 1992, 1993, 2013, 2018 that is a lot of success.

They had 1 really bad hire post Fisher but that program is on par with ours.
They have a lot of Final Fours.
I forgot Florida as well.