Would be interested to hear if folks who want Jimmy gone also want Babers fired? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would be interested to hear if folks who want Jimmy gone also want Babers fired?

Michigan has 1 NC in 1989 and been to 4 titles games since then in 1992, 1993, 2013, 2018 that is a lot of success.

They had 1 really bad hire post Fisher but that program is on par with ours.
They have a lot of Final Fours.
I forgot Florida as well.

And some people want that coach here!!! Good lord.

Michigan I wouldn’t put in that tier. Louisville, Nova, and Michigan State were behind us a decade ago. UVA is right on our ass. Our brand is taking a hit right now. The bigger the hit the harder it will be to get back.

Look at Indiana the last 17 years. I think that is our future. The bloom is already off for recruits and it will soon be for potential coaches.

How was UConn's bloom after 2 losing seasons and an ugly divorce with Ollie? How's Hurley doing? You really don't think Syracuse could attract a coach like Hurley that can reel in 4* players?

How was UConn's bloom after 2 losing seasons and an ugly divorce with Ollie? How's Hurley doing? You really don't think Syracuse could attract a coach like Hurley that can reel in 4* players?

1. Hurley is good?
2. What success has Hurley had at UConn?
3. Will he be able to sustain any success?

The longer JB stays the more likely IMO we become like Indiana has been the last 18 seasons.

1. Hurley is good?
2. What success has Hurley had at UConn?
3. Will he be able to sustain any success?

The longer JB stays the more likely IMO we become like Indiana has been the last 18 seasons.

Hurley got the #18 class for 2019 and a guy we recruited for ever for 2020. Not terrible coming after 3 losing seasons.

And as mediocre as Indiana has been, Archie miller has them 8-0 with an easy win over FSU and they'll likely be ranked next week. So Indiana has been bad for the better part of 17 years and has still been able to attract high level coaches. Miller and Crean were both high level coaching hires.

Maybe we're not discussing the same point? My point is that as long as the administration is willing to pay for a high end coach, we should be able to attract one. A Big East, AAC or even lower level P5 coach would come to Syracuse. They might not be successful, but if Indiana can attract big name coaches, then I don't see why we wouldn't be able to. We are still a big name in the college basketball world.

I am one of the people you refer to...

My justification... Babers overall trend line is still up. Sure this year was a step back but we just lost our 4 year QB and a bunch of o-linemen. Babers has demonstrated the willingness to change.. he canned his OC. Babers started from a really LOW point in terms of talent.

The big thing for me is that JB has shown ZERO willingness to address the problems that are in the program. If we were to make some changes either in style or recruiting then I would love for him to stay. If Babers made no changes after this past season I'd say he was coaching for his job next year.

The other point you bring up is age... college athletics is a young people's game... Babers' seems to be able to connect with kids still. Not sure if JB can say the same.

good comments and I don’t disagree. If I had to let one go now it would be Boeheim based on age and projectability. But bottom line is Jimmy is not getting fired after one losing season. Now if two in a row then yes it’s a possibility. dino ain’t getting fired this year but if we go 3-9 next year then it’s on the table Too

A basketball program that never gets mentioned on historical program rankings is Ohio State because people just consider them a football school. They have a national title, 11 Final Fours, tons of tourney appearances and conference titles, all-time greats like John Havlicek and Jerry Lucas, etc.

I hope JB steps down this year but also want to give Dino more time.

One program has been on a steady decline for some time, with a couple recent band-aids (albeit glorious band-aids) hiding the major issues.

The other program has been a disaster for most of my adult life and anyone who tries to revive it should be given some time, unless they are glaringly over their head (Shafer).

One program has an iconic home court advantage.

The other program plays in a medium capacity Dome that anyone under the age of 40 doesn’t view as anything noteworthy.

One program has a distinct recruiting advantage due to location and brand.

The other program has a distinct recruiting disadvantage due to location and brand.

Last edited:
sorry you cant compare the 2 but no way do they let Dino go at this point.

Coach Boeheim has had a Hall of Fame career that no one can take from him but Im afraid its time to pass the torch.

Hell I hope I'm still alive and not in Depends at the ripe ole age of 76

Historically? Or currently? Currently we are not a Top 10 ACC program let alone national.
Basketball history means nothing to 18 year olds. $$ does or there wouldn't be over 60 underclassmen going pro.