Would Few ever come to Cuse? | Syracusefan.com

Would Few ever come to Cuse?

Cuse House

All American
Great friends with JB and the Syracuse job is the better position. Not sure if he's the guy I'd want, but interesting thought.

What do you all think of Mark Few?

His salary is only $1.3 Million. Have to think we could bump him up by close to a million per year.

Great coach. Won't leave the program he built IMO.
I think it would be tough for him, but the money and prestige are definitely more appealing here. Most of their big games throughout the year are St. Mary's and Portland...

A long shot, but as I was watching the game I remembered how great of a relationship he has with JB and he is also big with the USA basketball.

Few is going to have a hard time getting a P5 gig from what I've heard. He's been vocal against/reported a few 'unscrupulous' recruiters and that had landed him on some blacklists...

He's the Boheim of Gonzaga.
Why leave?
Seems his only problem is the weak conference.
I think Tommy Lloyd is their coach in waiting.

Our fans are so delusional that we have constant threads about Mark Few and Jay Wright replacing JB. No. everybody listen: NO. These are pure fantasy. Get some perspective and sense. Both of these coaches got #1 seeds right where they are at. Let's go after Bill Self! No wait, Izzo! The one ridiculous name that amazes me that never comes up is Beilein. He is at a peer school but at least he has ties to the area which would provide some sense to the idea. Instead we have suggestions that Mark Few is going to bail on a program he is on the Mt. Rushmore of, leaving a cakewalk conference that allows him basically automatic entry into the tournament every year and even as a top seed, travel 3000 miles across country to an area where he has no connections and have to replace a HOF legend with his name on the court all so he can have the privilege of running a murderous gauntlet ACC schedule every year just to get the same access to the NCAA tournament. Have some doggone sense.

Hop was the guy because our insane fan base is going to be devastated by the lackluster name that gets brought in. You can see it coming.

Funny story. About 10 -15 years ago at JB's Coaches vs Cancer gala I saw this small very familiar looking man walking around during cocktail hour. I saw him speak to GMac who was still a player at the time and was wracking my tiny brain trying to place this familiar face. I started asking around, inquiring if anyone else recognized him. I won't name names but the replies I got -" I think he goes to the same church I do and that's why he looks familiar", "He's an SU booster", "I think he's a doctor", "probably works for SU" etc. Well it was Mark Few. He's probably 5'8 at the most, thin, quiet and very understated. He was JB's guest at the Turning Stone to observe and learn from JB's Coaches vs Cancer event because he was trying to start his own event on the West Coast. Lots of laughs realizing no one even recognized him. He'd make a great spy. :p

Our fans are so delusional that we have constant threads about Mark Few and Jay Wright replacing JB. No. everybody listen: NO. These are pure fantasy. Get some perspective and sense. Both of these coaches got #1 seeds right where they are at. Let's go after Bill Self! No wait, Izzo! The one ridiculous name that amazes me that never comes up is Beilein. He is at a peer school but at least he has ties to the area which would provide some sense to the idea. Instead we have suggestions that Mark Few is going to bail on a program he is on the Mt. Rushmore of, leaving a cakewalk conference that allows him basically automatic entry into the tournament every year and even as a top seed, travel 3000 miles across country to an area where he has no connections and have to replace a HOF legend with his name on the court all so he can have the privilege of running a murderous gauntlet ACC schedule every year just to get the same access to the NCAA tournament. Have some doggone sense.

Hop was the guy because our insane fan base is going to be devastated by the lackluster name that gets brought in. You can see it coming.
Agree with a lot of this. Except for the "cakewalk conference" being a certain positive. If it were, wouldn't many of the great coaches in the best conferences be clamoring for gigs in weaker conferences? 'Greatness' is only great when it accepts/pursues ultimate challenges.

That all said, I like Few and have thought he's been a great coach for quite a while. In a 'dream/fantasy' scenario, he would be on my short list. I don't think it's a ludicrous thought to approach him or to 'put out feelers.' I would hope,when the time arises, we would be shooting for the stars before making assumptions.

The guy seems too NICE to me, meaning he seems to lack a certain fire and I think that's why he's never been to a FF. Maybe this year he's got enough talent on the team to finally pull it off.

But I really do believe he'd get chewed up and spit out in the East.

We already have our coach for the next decade. If he was a new guy coming in he would get 100% support, so let's give the guy that has given his all the same.

Agree with you completely, except you obviously didn't read all of the threads earlier this week; Beilein was mentioned repeatedly including the idea that he would leave Michigan and come here so that he could get his son established as an assistant at SU.

Funny story. About 10 -15 years ago at JB's Coaches vs Cancer gala I saw this small very familiar looking man walking around during cocktail hour. I saw him speak to GMac who was still a player at the time and was wracking my tiny brain trying to place this familiar face. I started asking around, inquiring if anyone else recognized him. I won't name names but the replies I got -" I think he goes to the same church I do and that's why he looks familiar", "He's an SU booster", "I think he's a doctor", "probably works for SU" etc. Well it was Mark Few. He's probably 5'8 at the most, thin, quiet and very understated. He was JB's guest at the Turning Stone to observe and learn from JB's Coaches vs Cancer event because he was trying to start his own event on the West Coast. Lots of laughs realizing no one even recognized him. He'd make a great spy. :p
I was one of the people who didn't know who he was (but agreed he looked familiar)... :oops:

While watching Gonzaga/WVA last night I assumed I'd find a new thread about Mark Few possibly coming here.

What is delusional about more money and coaching in the ACC? Sure those other guys you mentioned are at peer schools, but Gonzaga is hardly on par with Syracuse. It certainly isn't a destination job, he's gotten 1 McDonald All-American in his time there. He coaches in what, the West Coast Conference? He isn't Izzo or Beilein and I think it would be worth at least throwing it out there.

We already have our coach for the next decade. If he was a new guy coming in he would get 100% support, so let's give the guy that has given his all the same.

Decade?

I think we have a chance at landing Gregg Popovich.

Decade?
Bowden and Paterno coached into their 80's and JAB is 72, soooo. That gives him lots of space and puts the program in a good position for recruiting for the next 5 years.