Would Few ever come to Cuse? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Would Few ever come to Cuse?

I am amused at the narrative by some that he has had it so easy over his career at Gonzaga.

They have done a great job of recruiting second tier players, creating a nice home for transfers, and setting up an international network. Creating and maintaining an extremely competitive program in this environment is just as challenging as coaching in the ACC. It's a different challenge, but still a massive one.

This team will have reached the second elite 8 in 3 years, and last year reached the sweet 16 as a 10 seed.

Last edited:
Why do you think Syracuse is a better program? Does Syracuse have more history, yes. But we are worried about the now and future. Gonzaga has just as many 1 seeds in this century as Syracuse does. Gonzaga has been to more NCAA tournaments than Syracuse has in this century. Why do you think he would be coaching better players at Syracuse? The coach recruits the players. It makes no sense. And if you want to talk about how he has no final fours, that is on him as a coach, not on the fact that he is coaching in the WCC. A 1 seed is a 1 seed. So you appear to making an argument that he is not a good recruiter and not a good tournament coach. Why do you want him if that is true? The man has absolutely nothing to gain by leaving Gonzaga, to go to Syracuse or any other place. I would tell you the same thing if you suggested he should replace Coach K. There is no reason to do it and every reason not to do it.
switching gears here...because it is.

its infinitely better.

weve been to a F4 every decade since the 70s, you don't drop that and lessen its importance because some schmuck in a go no where conference refused to leave and advance his career at a major because he can pop out a bunch of 30 win seasons and dupe the corrupt NCAA into giving him a high a seed.

few is the exception to the rule. he had success and settled.

there is a lot less competition for good players in the northwest, he knew it and built something. good for him.

but hes not even Phil Martelli. the A10 is tougher.

:bat:

Yes, Phil Martelli is better because he is in a more difficult conference. By that logic Mark Gottfried was better then them all.

Great friends with JB and the Syracuse job is the better position. Not sure if he's the guy I'd want, but interesting thought.

What do you all think of Mark Few?
He is friends with JB. I would guess he would come visit to go fishing or something. As far as coaching goes no.

switching gears here...because it is.

its infinitely better.

weve been to a F4 every decade since the 70s, you don't drop that and lessen its importance because some schmuck in a go no where conference refused to leave and advance his career at a major because he can pop out a bunch of 30 win seasons and dupe the corrupt NCAA into giving him a high a seed.

few is the exception to the rule. he had success and settled.

there is a lot less competition for good players in the northwest, he knew it and built something. good for him.

Yes, although I don't think I would categorize him as "some schmuck."

Wow! Gonzaga a better program than Syracuse?! By far one of the more asinine things posted on this board and there's a lot of that.
I don't think he is saying it is better, I think he is saying that we are on equal levels. That is my biggest disagreement, that a move to Cuse from the Zags is lateral, it is not.

Gonzaga is not in a p5 conference and after yesterday has been to 2 elite 8's in there history. It's a small school that is successful because their resources and facilities are far better than the other teams in the WCC. Few is a good coach but will never leave there. He is from southern Oregon and had interested in the Oregon job at one point according to a friend I have that knows him pretty well. He decided he wasn't interested because of the fact he would have to deal with Phil Knight and how powerful he is there. He doesn't like dealing with boosters or unrealistic expectations. You tell me does that sound like a good fit. The idea that Syracuse could even be compared to Gonzaga is kind of laughable.

:bat:

Yes, Phil Martelli is better because he is in a more difficult conference. By that logic Mark Gottfried was better then them all.
if Gottfried never left murray state and was popping out 30 win seasons and western Kentucky was his only real completion...then we could debate this.

but since he left to coach at Ala-freakin-bama and then got the nc state gig, yeah...hes higher up the totem pole in my eyes...so no debate.

I am amused at the narrative by some that he has had it so easy over his career at Gonzaga.

I missed that, who said he had it easy at Gonzaga?

I'm going to watch the rest of the tournament and every time a coach wins I'm going to come on here and suggest we hire him.
I didn't suggest we hire anybody. I simply asked a question about what people thought of Few. This board sometimes Oh Lord

He isn't getting top players to come play in the WCC, he just isn't. He has done remarkably with the talent he has coached, so for that reason I think he is a great coach. Big time players just don't want to play in mid-major conferences. He has had a lot of 1 seeds because of the conference they play in. I don't understand why you aren't grasping that? If his Gonzaga teams were in the ACC he wouldn't be racking up 30 win seasons.

Of course he would get better players to come to Syracuse, we can offer a lot more. This would not be a lateral move. It will probably never happen, but it wouldn't be a ridiculous move by Few if he came to Syracuse.

Really?

Domas Sabonis (Round 1 #11 - 2016), Kelly Olynyk (Round 1 #13 - 2013), Austin Dave (Round 1 #15 - 2009), Adam Morrison (Round 1 #3 - 2006), all say Hi ......along with Kyle Wiltjer, Ronny Turiaf, Blake Stepp and Dan Dickau and that without gettting into who else they have had that have been talented but not quite NBA level players.

I would think that a second Elite 8 in three years might continue to advance his recruiting. He seems to be doing just fine at Gonzaga.

With a guy like Mack (and of course it won't be Mack himself unless JB retires next week), the thing I worry about is just going with the hot hand. Like whatever random guy who manages to get Western Kentucky or somebody to a Sweet 16 in 2019 and then is somehow the next hot thing. Yeah it could pan out, but there is some very high risk to that.

I don't think Chris Mack is just a "hot hand". He's actually had reasonably sustained success at Xavier in the A-10 and now the Big East.

He has taken his team to the NCAA tournament 7 of his 8 seasons at Xavier. Made the Sweet 16 four of those 7 years with this year still being alive in the Elite Eight. That is against reasonable competition. He probably gets the opportunity to move up this year if he wants it.

In addition to Chris Mack, I like Gregg Marshall and Archie Miller if we are going to look for guys that have some level of accomplishment but haven't had the opp at the P5 level yet. Maybe an Ed Cooley, not 100% sure on him.

Hot hand is more like a Danny Hurley, Joe Dooley at Fla Gulf Coast or Maurice Joseph (although tepid hand might be a better description for Joseph).

Few is going to have a hard time getting a P5 gig from what I've heard. He's been vocal against/reported a few 'unscrupulous' recruiters and that had landed him on some blacklists...
interesting

Really?

Domas Sabonis (Round 1 #11 - 2016), Kelly Olynyk (Round 1 #13 - 2013), Austin Dave (Round 1 #15 - 2009), Adam Morrison (Round 1 #3 - 2006), all say Hi ...along with Kyle Wiltjer, Ronny Turiaf, Blake Stepp and Dan Dickau and that without gettting into who else they have had that have been talented but not quite NBA level players.

I would think that a second Elite 8 in three years might continue to advance his recruiting. He seems to be doing just fine at Gonzaga.
You are including transfers and overseas guys. I am talking about recruits out of high school. He has done a good job with that market, sure. Even a guy like Morrison wasn't a highly ranked recruit out of high school, he was a 3 star. Those guys developed into good players, but Few hasn't gotten great players out of high school.

Great friends with JB and the Syracuse job is the better position. Not sure if he's the guy I'd want, but interesting thought.

What do you all think of Mark Few?
Few are coming to SU now. That's part of the problem.

With a guy like Mack (and of course it won't be Mack himself unless JB retires next week), the thing I worry about is just going with the hot hand. Like whatever random guy who manages to get Western Kentucky or somebody to a Sweet 16 in 2019 and then is somehow the next hot thing. Yeah it could pan out, but there is some very high risk to that.

Mack has taken Xavier to the NCAA's 7 of his 8 years there, including 3 Sweet 16's and now the elite 8. He's really no flash in the pan and Xavier is a legit program.

Chris Mack and Mark Few are old news. Now it's all about Frank Martin and Mike White,