Would Few ever come to Cuse? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would Few ever come to Cuse?

Bowden and Paterno coached into their 80's and JAB is 72, soooo. That gives him lots of space and puts the program in a good position for recruiting for the next 5 years.

You think Jim Boeheim will be coaching another decade?

We already have our coach for the next decade. If he was a new guy coming in he would get 100% support, so let's give the guy that has given his all the same.

Coaching into his 80s? Would JB get ejected at Cameron and then have to slowly exit using a walker?

Coaching into his 80s? Would JB get ejected at Cameron and then have to slowly exit using a walker?
Syracuse University supposedly has one of the best gerontology programs in the country. Maybe they can come up with a actual age number for him, which I would say is significantly lower than his chronological age. In regards to Few, JAB might still be coaching when he retires.

Our fans are so delusional that we have constant threads about Mark Few and Jay Wright replacing JB. No. everybody listen: NO. These are pure fantasy. Get some perspective and sense. Both of these coaches got #1 seeds right where they are at. Let's go after Bill Self! No wait, Izzo! The one ridiculous name that amazes me that never comes up is Beilein. He is at a peer school but at least he has ties to the area which would provide some sense to the idea. Instead we have suggestions that Mark Few is going to bail on a program he is on the Mt. Rushmore of, leaving a cakewalk conference that allows him basically automatic entry into the tournament every year and even as a top seed, travel 3000 miles across country to an area where he has no connections and have to replace a HOF legend with his name on the court all so he can have the privilege of running a murderous gauntlet ACC schedule every year just to get the same access to the NCAA tournament. Have some doggone sense.

Hop was the guy because our insane fan base is going to be devastated by the lackluster name that gets brought in. You can see it coming.

You think we can land Coach K?

I said this senior day 2006 when an Elementary School chorus sang a song for a kid in front of 30 some odd k frenzied people,and it still holds true today. GMac will be the head coach here at some point. And if Boeheim stays long enough to show him the ropes...he'll be the NEXT COACH. It sounds like some here would be devastated by that because these experts don't believe Gerry has what it takes. But get used to that fact.

I'm expecting that for both JB and Coach K when they coach against each other in 2032 at the Wegmans Dome.
The James Arthur Boeheim Wegman's dome. Then there would be some great food choices up there.

What is delusional about more money and coaching in the ACC? Sure those other guys you mentioned are at peer schools, but Gonzaga is hardly on par with Syracuse. It certainly isn't a destination job, he's gotten 1 McDonald All-American in his time there. He coaches in what, the West Coast Conference? He isn't Izzo or Beilein and I think it would be worth at least throwing it out there.

I guess it seems unlikely because Few has been a known commodity for quite a while yet he has stayed at Gonzaga. He has been there since starting as a Grad Asst. in '89 and has over 500 wins there as the HC. Typically guys move for greener pastures much earlier in their success curve. When they stay on at the same place, it suggests that they are are happy there and aren't looking to leave. If he were looking to move up a tier and was interested in moving to the East Coast then sure Syracuse would be a decent enough candidate, but everything you see publicly suggests that he is not in the market. Just looking at his profile it seems to me that he is not a realistic candidate unless we made him a financial offer he just couldn't refuse and I don't see SU doing that for Mark Few.

Our fans are so delusional that we have constant threads about Mark Few and Jay Wright replacing JB. No. everybody listen: NO. These are pure fantasy. Get some perspective and sense. Both of these coaches got #1 seeds right where they are at. Let's go after Bill Self! No wait, Izzo! The one ridiculous name that amazes me that never comes up is Beilein. He is at a peer school but at least he has ties to the area which would provide some sense to the idea. Instead we have suggestions that Mark Few is going to bail on a program he is on the Mt. Rushmore of, leaving a cakewalk conference that allows him basically automatic entry into the tournament every year and even as a top seed, travel 3000 miles across country to an area where he has no connections and have to replace a HOF legend with his name on the court all so he can have the privilege of running a murderous gauntlet ACC schedule every year just to get the same access to the NCAA tournament. Have some doggone sense.

Hop was the guy because our insane fan base is going to be devastated by the lackluster name that gets brought in. You can see it coming.
fair enough.

give me your top 5.

for the record, I was squarely in the Jay Wright camp till last years win.

I was one of the people who didn't know who he was (but agreed he looked familiar)... :oops:

That was all so funny. Here I am saying "why do I know that guy?" , "I think he's famous but why?" . "I know him from something, somewhere". The mind is a terrible thing to waste... but I've become an expert at it. I keep looking for Mark Few at church... :p but I don't expect to see him on the bench at SU.

That was all so funny. Here I am saying "why do I know that guy?" , "I think he's famous but why?" . "I know him from something, somewhere". The mind is a terrible thing to waste... but I've become an expert at it. I keep looking for Mark Few at church... :p but I don't expect to see him on the bench at SU.
my stock answer to those questions is...either I went to school with him or he bartended somewhere.

I guess it seems unlikely because Few has been a known commodity for quite a while yet he has stayed at Gonzaga. He has been there since starting as a Grad Asst. in '89 and has over 500 wins there as the HC. Typically guys move for greener pastures much earlier in their success curve. When they stay on at the same place, it suggests that they are are happy there and aren't looking to leave. If he were looking to move up a tier and was interested in moving to the East Coast then sure Syracuse would be a decent enough candidate, but everything you see publicly suggests that he is not in the market. Just looking at his profile it seems to me that he is not a realistic candidate unless we made him a financial offer he just couldn't refuse and I don't see SU doing that for Mark Few.
Very good points and thought out response. Those are all reasons he would stay, but I think if you want to be remembered as one of the best, you have to play the best year in and year out. His wins are padded with loads of inadequate competition. I guess it would matter if that bothered him or not. I am assuming not, but it may matter to some coaches.

fair enough.

give me your top 5.

for the record, I was squarely in the Jay Wright camp till last years win.

I have no idea. It will be a mid-major coach like Mack or it will be an assistant at a traditional power. Everyone will be disappointed when it is announced, I know that much for certain!

What is delusional about more money and coaching in the ACC? Sure those other guys you mentioned are at peer schools, but Gonzaga is hardly on par with Syracuse. It certainly isn't a destination job, he's gotten 1 McDonald All-American in his time there. He coaches in what, the West Coast Conference? He isn't Izzo or Beilein and I think it would be worth at least throwing it out there.

The name of this game is getting to the NCAA Tournament. Period. Gonzaga is able to do that every single year. There is virtually zero threat to them not doing it. They have gotten in every single year since 1999. Even in a down year where they don't win their big non-conference games, all they have to do is beat St. Mary's in the conference tournament and they are in. It is a far better scenario than an ACC school in that respect. And it is at a point now where he doesn't just squeak into the tournament with a 10, 11, 12 seed, this decade he has gotten two 1 seeds and a 2 seed. That gives him a legit chance at a national championship and that is what these guys are coaching for. Given that scenario, do you think he has more chance of a national championship at Syracuse or Gonzaga? Then add all the other impediments to moving from a program you helped create. It would honestly be like Boeheim leaving to go coach at Kansas. How likely do you think that is and what would the advantages be? To summarize, it is completely, entirely, bat-shat delusional.

I have no idea. It will be a mid-major coach like Mack or it will be an assistant at a traditional power. Everyone will be disappointed when it is announced, I know that much for certain!
fair enough.

now what if it was Jay Wright...

The name of this game is getting to the NCAA Tournament. Period. Gonzaga is able to do that every single year. There is virtually zero threat to them not doing it. They have gotten in every single year since 1999. Even in a down year where they don't win their big non-conference games, all they have to do is beat St. Mary's in the conference tournament and they are in. It is a far better scenario than an ACC school in that respect. And it is at a point now where he doesn't just squeak into the tournament with a 10, 11, 12 seed, this decade he has gotten two 1 seeds and a 2 seed. That gives him a legit chance at a national championship and that is what these guys are coaching for. Given that scenario, do you think he has more chance of a national championship at Syracuse or Gonzaga? Then add all the other impediments to moving from a program you helped create. It would honestly be like Boeheim leaving to go coach at Kansas. How likely do you think that is and what would the advantages be? To summarize, it is completely, entirely, bat-shat delusional.
It is not like that at all, that is not a good example. Syracuse to Kansas is not as much of a vertical move as Gonzaga to Syracuse. Sure, he gets into the tournament every year, but since 1999 how many final 4's? He doesn't get the talent year in and year out to be a contender. Most years that we are in the tournament, we are a legit threat to make noise. Most years Gonzaga is a high seed, people don't really perceive them as having a legitimate shot.

I'm sorry, but anyway that you try to rationalize the WCC being better for a coach over the ACC is delusional. Squeaking in as a lower seed from the very competitive ACC prepares you much more for tournament success than playing St. Mary's.

fair enough.

now what if it was Jay Wright...

With a guy like Mack (and of course it won't be Mack himself unless JB retires next week), the thing I worry about is just going with the hot hand. Like whatever random guy who manages to get Western Kentucky or somebody to a Sweet 16 in 2019 and then is somehow the next hot thing. Yeah it could pan out, but there is some very high risk to that.

It is not like that at all, that is not a good example. Syracuse to Kansas is not as much of a vertical move as Gonzaga to Syracuse. Sure, he gets into the tournament every year, but since 1999 how many final 4's? He doesn't get the talent year in and year out to be a contender. Most years that we are in the tournament, we are a legit threat to make noise. Most years Gonzaga is a high seed, people don't really perceive them as having a legitimate shot.

I'm sorry, but anyway that you try to rationalize the WCC being better for a coach over the ACC is delusional. Squeaking in as a lower seed from the very competitive ACC prepares you much more for tournament success than playing St. Mary's.

You are not going to convince me. The concept is farcical in the most extreme sense of the word.

You are not going to convince me. The concept is farcical in the most extreme sense of the word.
Your argument is that there is no possible way he would have an interest and it is preposterous to ask. He gets into the tournament every year so he would never accept a position at a better program because he would face more competition.

My argument is that he would have a more legitimate shot year in and out here. He would also have the prestige of coaching in a better conference, and be able to coach better players and athletes all while working in better facilities and making more money.

Sometimes just being there every year isn't enough for those who are truly competitive. The greatest want to win at the highest level and he isn't getting that in the WCC.

To say it is delusional is being narrow-minded and argumentative.

Your argument is that there is no possible way he would have an interest and it is preposterous to ask. He gets into the tournament every year so he would never accept a position at a better program because he would face more competition.

My argument is that he would have a more legitimate shot year in and out here. He would also have the prestige of coaching in a better conference, and be able to coach better players and athletes all while working in better facilities and making more money.

Sometimes just being there every year isn't enough for those who are truly competitive. The greatest want to win at the highest level and he isn't getting that in the WCC.

To say it is delusional is being narrow-minded and argumentative.

Why do you think Syracuse is a better program? Does Syracuse have more history, yes. But we are worried about the now and future. Gonzaga has just as many 1 seeds in this century as Syracuse does. Gonzaga has been to more NCAA tournaments than Syracuse has in this century. Why do you think he would be coaching better players at Syracuse? The coach recruits the players. It makes no sense. And if you want to talk about how he has no final fours, that is on him as a coach, not on the fact that he is coaching in the WCC. A 1 seed is a 1 seed. So you appear to making an argument that he is not a good recruiter and not a good tournament coach. Why do you want him if that is true? The man has absolutely nothing to gain by leaving Gonzaga, to go to Syracuse or any other place. I would tell you the same thing if you suggested he should replace Coach K. There is no reason to do it and every reason not to do it.

Why do you think Syracuse is a better program? Does Syracuse have more history, yes. But we are worried about the now and future. Gonzaga has just as many 1 seeds in this century as Syracuse does. Gonzaga has been to more NCAA tournaments than Syracuse has in this century. Why do you think he would be coaching better players at Syracuse? The coach recruits the players. It makes no sense. And if you want to talk about how he has no final fours, that is on him as a coach, not on the fact that he is coaching in the WCC. A 1 seed is a 1 seed. So you appear to making an argument that he is not a good recruiter and not a good tournament coach. Why do you want him if that is true? The man has absolutely nothing to gain by leaving Gonzaga, to go to Syracuse or any other place. I would tell you the same thing if you suggested he should replace Coach K. There is no reason to do it and every reason not to do it.
He isn't getting top players to come play in the WCC, he just isn't. He has done remarkably with the talent he has coached, so for that reason I think he is a great coach. Big time players just don't want to play in mid-major conferences. He has had a lot of 1 seeds because of the conference they play in. I don't understand why you aren't grasping that? If his Gonzaga teams were in the ACC he wouldn't be racking up 30 win seasons.

Of course he would get better players to come to Syracuse, we can offer a lot more. This would not be a lateral move. It will probably never happen, but it wouldn't be a ridiculous move by Few if he came to Syracuse.