Would you rather have a Jonny Flynn PG or MCW PG? | Syracusefan.com

Would you rather have a Jonny Flynn PG or MCW PG?

This thread has a lot of promise.

With this current team, if it meant Frank/Tyus split time at the 2 and Tyus/Oshae at the three .. I’d want a MCW guard to add another creator and a floor general.

If this pg is to replace Frank I say balls to the wall and get a ball handler/scoring point guard in flynn.

Tough choice. Soured on Flynn when he quit on defense and gave the coaches problems, and his lack of height is a problem. Mike's total inability to drive and finish was a different kind of problem.

Gun to my head, I'm going with the more complete basketball player.

In a more perfect world, give him even a couple more inches and a better demeanor. That is, someone like Scoop. 6'2" is plenty of height for defense, and give me a kid who's learned how to drive and score with both hands any day.

We all know JB’s zone would prefer MCW for length but for college basketball which would you rather have?

They were both very good. They both had significant flaws, as do nearly all college players.

Unfortunately for this year's team, neither of them really solve the shooting problem - Flynn was only a 33% three-point shooter and MCW was worse. That's not really what this team needs. Either of them improve this team, but I don't think they make it anything more than a better bubble team.

More generally, I think either could be a key part of a great college team. (Indeed, both were.) You need to put shooters around MCW to be elite, but give him three guys who can spread the floor and I think he could be the best player on a NC team. Flynn actually might be a little tougher to build a great team around. He was really a scorer first and foremost, gave inconsistent effort, and probably was never going to be a great shooter anyway. Offensively, that 08-09 team was pretty loaded - adding any of Rautins, Devendorf, or Arinze to this year's team would go a long way towards making them functional.

The current team needs offense, so a scoring-type like Flynn. They've needed that
for several years now.

I get that they want height, but even with the 6'5"-ish guys playing up top, you have
this article:

Syracuse basketball's 3-point problem: Orange doesn't make enough, allows too many

the gist of which comes down to ...

SU ranks 125th nationally defending the 3. Teams make 33.7% from deep, and only 11 teams
have surrendered a higher percentage of threes than the Orange. 40% of the opponents
points come from deep, 23% of SU's. I would say a) the defense isn't going to get worse
with a six footer up top, and b) they need scoring.

kev

We should throw Tyler Ennis into this as well.

Flynn. He was a much better scorer while being an almost equal distributor/creator for others, compared to MCW. MCW has the clear defensive advantage but Flynn wasn't a slouch on D, especially for his size. The x factor for me, though, is how well Flynn ran the break. If he led the charge in transition, it was almost guaranteed points. With MCW, that wasn't always the case.

I'd prefer both over Ennis. Ennis was effective, but his style of play sucked.

Flynn. He was a much better scorer while being an almost equal distributor/creator for others, compared to MCW. MCW has the clear defensive advantage but Flynn wasn't a slouch on D, especially for his size. The x factor for me, though, is how well Flynn ran the break. If he led the charge in transition, it was almost guaranteed points. With MCW, that wasn't always the case.

I'd prefer both over Ennis. Ennis was effective, but his style of play sucked.

Agreed. Flynn was the most dynamic guard we had since Douglas IMO. Yes, his defense in the zone was spotty. On the right team, I think that could’ve been hidden better. But offensively, he could both carry and ignite the offense at any time. I miss feeling like we should score on every possession.

I don't think an MCW type would add enough to this team. We don't have anybody that can finish his passes inside.

Flynn would be much better for this team's lack of offense. He could get to the rim anytime.

As for a typical SU team, it would have to depend on the other pieces, as well. MCW probably would fit as the classic SU PG a whole lot better, though Jonny was better.

It depends.

Our defensive efficiency is massively impacted by size
2018 - 14th
2017 - 119th

Of course a defender's ability is not all size. So my answer... it depends.

Flynn was a great offensive PG but still just an okay shooter. Obviously a pretty good playmaker too.

I know we have PG issues but give me an Eric Devendorf.
zero defense. Maybe even less than zero

This thread is too simple.
I'd prefer Douglas, Coleman, Seikaly, Owens and a healthy Leo Rautins.
And if the Orange ever need a little scoring punch how about Melo off the bench?

But I do miss MCW's patented drive the lane, jump up, spin around and toss a turnover move.

If this team had 3 Brandon Triche's we would have a winning conference record. Not trying to make any point, just saying.

#respectmydecision

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom