would you rather | Syracusefan.com

would you rather

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
Hypothetical scenario: would you rather have made the Final Four this year (going through dixon-izzo-k-self) and losing to 'nova in a tight contest... with Tyus and Oshea playing well enough these last two rounds to get drafted into the first round and leaving; or next year everyone come back and have a pretty legit shot at competing for the ACC and tourny title. I dunno honestly i'm kinda torn myself...

Knowing that would be the outcome, I would take what happened and not your hypothetical.

Our tourney runs are great and I'd take them over Virginia's regular season success, but we want to re-establish ourselves as a basketball powerhouse in the minds of fans and recruits. It takes more than just tourney runs to do that and having a potential Top 10 ranking most of the regular season with Championship aspirations from the jump is desperately needed.

I’d much rather have stayed where we were as opposed to lose in the Final Four knowing we’d lose BOTH Tyus and Oshae.

Now if we lose both anyway, it’s moot, but as of now it doesn’t look like that will happen.

Hypothetical scenario: would you rather have made the Final Four this year (going through dixon-izzo-k-self) and losing to 'nova in a tight contest... with Tyus and Oshea playing well enough these last two rounds to get drafted into the first round and leaving; or next year everyone come back and have a pretty legit shot at competing for the ACC and tourny title. I dunno honestly i'm kinda torn myself...

Make the final four and lose the entire team.

Nothing beats winning it all but making the final four is a close second.

We could be loaded next year and end up like Virginia.

NCAA is too much of a crapshoot. Nothing is guaranteed.

Why do people think playing well in 2 games in March gets you drafted? Do people think scouts only watch college basketball the last 2 weeks in March? Scouts are smart enough to understand that players have good and bad games, and scoring 20 might just be a very very good game, just like going 2-14 might just be a very very bad game. This season we played against Duke, UNC, Virginia, Louisville, Miami, Kansas, Maryland, to name a few. NBA scouts to watch Bagley and Azibuke also saw our entire team, multiple times. Scouts know about guys like Battle and Brissett since high school. Brissett played at a high profile prep school. Battle was a top 25 player. Do people think scouts haven't known who Tyus Battle was for the past 3-4 years?

Tell me what Chris McCullough did in the 2015 NCAA tournament to get drafted. Same with Lydon in 2017.

Why do people think playing well in 2 games in March gets you drafted? Do people think scouts only watch college basketball the last 2 weeks in March? Scouts are smart enough to understand that players have good and bad games, and scoring 20 might just be a very very good game, just like going 2-14 might just be a very very bad game. This season we played against Duke, UNC, Virginia, Louisville, Miami, Kansas, Maryland, to name a few. NBA scouts to watch Bagley and Azibuke also saw our entire team, multiple times. Scouts know about guys like Battle and Brissett since high school. Brissett played at a high profile prep school. Battle was a top 25 player. Do people think scouts haven't known who Tyus Battle was for the past 3-4 years?

Tell me what Chris McCullough did in the 2015 NCAA tournament to get drafted. Same with Lydon in 2017.
I don't have the lists but i highly diubt Malachi was projected 1st round of 2016 draft before UVA Elite 8 game

Because it's happened to us.

Battle they know. Brissett was under the radar and has blown up.. probably not enough to leave but getting pretty close to the "Malachi danger zone" if he got a few more high profile games.

I don't have the lists but i highly diubt Malachi was projected 1st round of 2016 draft before UVA Elite 8 game

Probably not but he also went through the evaluation process where his stock greatly improved. It wasn't just the UVA game.

And to answer the question, the final four this year. Nothing is guaranteed.

Probably not but he also went through the evaluation process where his stock greatly improved. It wasn't just the UVA game.

And to answer the question, the final four this year. Nothing is guaranteed.
Normally I'd agree but I think we desperately need an actual Top 10 season to back up our tourney runs and let everyone know we're back post-sanctions.

Normally I'd agree but I think we desperately need an actual Top 10 season to back up our tourney runs and let everyone know we're back post-sanctions.

Agree 100%. These "best record as a double-digit seed" stats are so depressing. We're not Providence. I want to go back to being a perennial top 4 seed in the tournament.

Meh. I'd enjoy another final four more than I'd enjoy the medias adulation.

Agree 100%. These "best record as a double-digit seed" stats are so depressing. We're not Providence. I want to go back to being a perennial top 4 seed in the tournament.

You’re GD right we’re not. This is Syracuse basketball. Not some Big East also-ran that was relevant 30 years ago.

I hope we never sniff a double digit seed in the tourney again. I want to be back among the big dogs in March.

You mean like 85-91?

Being a top seed guarantees nothing other than more pain if you lose early.

You mean like 85-91?

Being a top seed guarantees nothing other than more pain if you lose early.

I agree that it guarantees nothing. But there is a strong correlation between the seed you get in the tourney, and how far you make it in the tourney. 1 seeds go to the Final Four more often than 2 seeds, who go more often than 3 seeds, and so on.

I’d much rather have stayed where we were as opposed to lose in the Final Four knowing we’d lose BOTH Tyus and Oshae.

Now if we lose both anyway, it’s moot, but as of now it doesn’t look like that will happen.
I'm not all that worried about Oshae leaving.

... you know that mock drafts aren't created by NBA GMs and scouts, right? They're created by media people who mostly follow the big teams and obvious top players in the country.

NBA scouts knew who Malachi Richardson was when he was in high school. Playing well in the E8 didn't make him get drafted. His ability to get drafted, his talent, caused him to go off in the E8, not the other way around.

... you know that mock drafts aren't created by NBA GMs and scouts, right?
Of course. Malachi would not have gone in the 1st round of 2016 NBA draft without the UVA game. Better?

Of course. Malachi would not have gone in the 1st round of 2016 NBA draft without the UVA game. Better?
LOL, okay. Did you know that Malachi was 6-16 in that game? He had 0 assists and 3 turnovers. He was 3-7 from 3. This performance moves him up 30 spots into the first round?

You're exhibiting a classic case of confirmation bias. You think a relationship exists, so you pull one data point and say this is true because this one series of events happened.

LOL, okay. Did you know that Malachi was 6-16 in that game? He had 0 assists and 3 turnovers. He was 3-7 from 3. This performance moves him up 30 spots into the first round?

You're exhibiting a classic case of confirmation bias. You think a relationship exists, so you pull one data point and say this is true because this one series of events happened.
if we don't go to the tournament in 16 does Malachi get drafted in the 1st round of 16 draft. Yes or no?

That game alone did not get Malachi drafted in the 1st Round. However, without that game, Malachi does not get drafted in the 1st Round.

if we don't go to the tournament in 16 does Malachi get drafted in the 1st round of 16 draft. Yes or no?
That game alone did not get Malachi drafted in the 1st Round. However, without that game, Malachi does not get drafted in the 1st Round.
If we miss the tournament in 2016 and Malachi goes to the combine, yes he gets drafted.

clearly the national stage gets scouts attention and creates buzz for borderline picks. Malachi certainly could have gone, but having scouts see him single handedly beat UVA in an elite 8 game which creates media buzz for a whole week, has an impact on him getting drafted, to say otherwise is naive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom