would you rather | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

would you rather

clearly the national stage gets scouts attention and creates buzz for borderline picks. Malachi certainly could have gone, but having scouts see him single handedly beat UVA in an elite 8 game which creates media buzz for a whole week, has an impact on him getting drafted, to say otherwise is naive.
This guy gets it

clearly the national stage gets scouts attention and creates buzz for borderline picks. Malachi certainly could have gone, but having scouts see him single handedly beat UVA in an elite 8 game which creates media buzz for a whole week, has an impact on him getting drafted, to say otherwise is naive.
Media buzz does not equal honest scouting assessment. NBA GMs jobs are literally on the line with these decisions. They're not swayed by Michael Wilbon on PTI or a twitter post, or watching Malachi go 6-16 from the field in one game. They watch him in high shcool, all season long at Syracuse, and then in the workouts, 1-on-1s, 3-on-3s, and 5-on-5 drills. Whether his last 2 three pointers go in or not don't move him up 30 spots.

You’re GD right we’re not. This is Syracuse basketball. Not some Big East also-ran that was relevant 30 years ago.

I hope we never sniff a double digit seed in the tourney again. I want to be back among the big dogs in March.

And we will. Just survived the post sanctions era and thrived in March.

Cuse

Media buzz does not equal honest scouting assessment. NBA GMs jobs are literally on the line with these decisions. They're not swayed by Michael Wilbon on PTI or a twitter post, or watching Malachi go 6-16 from the field in one game. They watch him in high shcool, all season long at Syracuse, and then in the workouts, 1-on-1s, 3-on-3s, and 5-on-5 drills. Whether his last 2 three pointers go in or not don't move him up 30 spots.

True, but - they also got to see him go to plaid against the ACC POY & DPOY Malcolm Brogdon, so that certainly didn’t hurt his cause any.

Brogdon was an elite defender on an excellent defensive team - and Mali clowned him in the 2nd half.
Which shows those skills translate to the next level, since Brogdon was/is also such a good player.

Hypothetical scenario: would you rather have made the Final Four this year (going through dixon-izzo-k-self) and losing to 'nova in a tight contest... with Tyus and Oshea playing well enough these last two rounds to get drafted into the first round and leaving; or next year everyone come back and have a pretty legit shot at competing for the ACC and tourny title. I dunno honestly i'm kinda torn myself...
bird-in-hand.jpg

If we miss the tournament in 2016 and Malachi goes to the combine, yes he gets drafted.
I said 1st Round. Does he get drafted in the 2nd Round after the combine?.. sure, probably. I'm assuming getting 1st Round guarantees played into his leaving.

I agree that it guarantees nothing. But there is a strong correlation between the seed you get in the tourney, and how far you make it in the tourney. 1 seeds go to the Final Four more often than 2 seeds, who go more often than 3 seeds, and so on.
That is true but I will always take a final four this year, regardless of seed, over a subsequent year as a top 4 seed.

You present zero evidence aside from imagining that NBA scouts entire jobs are to watch Elite 8 game and lock in their big boards in March by watching games on TV.
I get it. You dug a hole with your initial post and now you can't go back.

See 721 post above. He explained it well

I said 1st Round. Does he get drafted in the 2nd Round after the combine?.. sure, probably. I'm assuming getting 1st Round guarantees played into his leaving.
Good catch. I didn't notice him not clarifying the round when I read his response. Clever

You mean like 85-91?

Being a top seed guarantees nothing other than more pain if you lose early.
It allows us to strut around like peacocks till disaster hits. Kinda fun initially

Please explain how I dug a hole? You have tripled down on your theory that one good game in March = getting drafted in the first round. I've presented a logical train of thought, and a sensible process of thinking for NBA scouts and GMs, and you're still pretending you know more than them. You have apparently cracked the code to getting drafted, maybe you should tell Boeheim to sit his players in the Elite 8 to prevent them from leaving.

How did Tyler Ennis do in the tournament? Or Jerami Grant? Chris McCullough? Tyler Lydon? Donte Greene? Wes Johnson? Dion Waiters? Fab Melo?

Still no response to the FACT that Malachi was 6-16 in the E8 game vs. Virginia.

There's no shame in your fallacy. It's a human bias to remember those 2 three pointers Malachi made in the 2nd half and forget the 3 that he missed earlier in the game, and the one he missed with 2 minutes left in the game.

I've had to repeat this a few times since you won't acknowledge it: NBA GMs and scouts jobs are on the line. They have huge financial incentives to make the correct decisions and picks. They don't overweight an arbitrary game in March into their models and move prospects based on one or two jump shots going in.

This flawed logic started when Jonny Flynn left after 2009 and a subset of Syracuse fans (I'm assuming you're included based on your statement here) think that the 6OT game caused him to get drafted 6th overall. Forget the fact that he was a McDonald's all-American with a game built for the open floor style of the NBA. Forget his freakish athleticism and quickness that was highlighted during the combine and workouts. Why didn't G-Mac get drafted top 5 after he hit 6 3's in the 2003 title game? Why wasn't he a first rounder after dropping 43 in the tournament vs. BYU?

Wendell Carter is having a terrible Elite 8 game so far. 3 fouls, 0-3 from the field. Maybe he won't get drafted because of this.
You hurt any case you try to make when you start posting shenanigans.

Make the final four and lose the entire team.

Nothing beats winning it all but making the final four is a close second.

We could be loaded next year and end up like Virginia.

NCAA is too much of a crapshoot. Nothing is guaranteed.

Wouldn’t making the championship game be second?

Bryant Reeves says hi.

Go on...

The idea that NBA GMs aren’t influenced by NCAA tournament performance is absolutely laughable. Big Country was a shining example of that.

I totally get that you’re not about to admit that; for whatever reason you’re going to defend your indefensible position to the end...so frankly I’m looking forward to hearing how the Grizzlies were totally justified in taking him and he would have gone there even if OSU flamed our in the second round.

See 721 post above. He explained it well
You have posted many things we could revisit too.

The idea that NBA GMs aren’t influenced by NCAA tournament performance is absolutely laughable. Big Country was a shining example of that.

I totally get that you’re not about to admit that; for whatever reason you’re going to defend your indefensible position to the end...so frankly I’m looking forward to hearing how the Grizzlies were totally justified in taking him and he would have gone there even if OSU flamed our in the second round.
Your one example is a 7 footer from 1995, 23 years ago? You understand he averaged over 20 points at Oklahoma State, right? Do you think it's possible that NBA scouts judged him based on his 120 game college career and not 2 games in the tournament?

image.jpg
Your one example is a 7 footer from 1995, 23 years ago? You understand he averaged over 20 points at Oklahoma State, right? Do you think it's possible that NBA scouts judged him based on his 120 game college career and not 2 games in the tournament?

Good example of strike when the iron is hot. Buy a house. Play golf.

There’s more examples, he’s just a shining one. Malachi is an example as well - but there’s absolutely no chance you’ll admit that if you won’t admit Big Country got picked partly on tourney play. And NBA scout were certainly influenced by his tournament appearance; there were quotes at the time about how Canadian fans knew him better than other possible picks because of his tournament play.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t making the championship game be second?

The question was, would you rather make final four this year and lose to Nova and lose Brissett and Battle or have everyone come abck next year (implication being that we would have shot at national title)...making the championship game was not part of the question...

Tyrus Thomas. Lock thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom