would you rather | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

would you rather

Hypothetical scenario: would you rather have made the Final Four this year (going through dixon-izzo-k-self) and losing to 'nova in a tight contest... with Tyus and Oshea playing well enough these last two rounds to get drafted into the first round and leaving; or next year everyone come back and have a pretty legit shot at competing for the ACC and tourny title. I dunno honestly i'm kinda torn myself...

Final Four. Would have been a heck of a run.

I would be fine if our team next year was (not knowing starters):
Guards: Frank, Carey, Elijah
Wings: Bazely, MD, Elijah, Moyer
Center: PC, Sidibe, Bazely

I think that's a very good team.

Final Four. Would have been a heck of a run.

I would be fine if our team next year was (not knowing starters):
Guards: Frank, Carey, Elijah
Wings: Bazely, MD, Elijah, Moyer
Center: PC, Sidibe, Bazely

I think that's a very good team.

It is... now add OB to it. I think OB is 95% back. OB leaving would be the most shocking departure we have ever had. Not exaggerating.

Honestly think I'd prefer to have everyone back for next year and see how it goes. I think next year is going to be so much fun for an extended period of time. 2 more wins would've been an absolute blast, but it doesn't erase the memories of being miserable for so much of the season, just like in 2016. Next year I think with or without Tyus is going to be the most fun we've had in the past 4 or 5 years.

There’s more examples, he’s just a shining one. Malachi is an example as well - but there’s absolutely no chance you’ll admit that if you won’t admit Big Country got picked partly on tourney play. And NBA scout were certainly influenced by his tournament appearance; there were quotes at the time about how Canadian fans knew him better than other possible picks because of his tournament play.
How is he a shining example? He averaged 20+ points for 3 years at OkSt.

There’s more examples, he’s just a shining one. Malachi is an example as well - but there’s absolutely no chance you’ll admit that if you won’t admit Big Country got picked partly on tourney play. And NBA scout were certainly influenced by his tournament appearance; there were quotes at the time about how Canadian fans knew him better than other possible picks because of his tournament play.

Absolutely not. He was first team all conference THREE times and player of the year for that conference TWICE.

He’s not even an example let alone a shining one.
And his evidence for his argument is that Canadian fans saw him play well in the tournament... therefore NBA GMs drafted him.

I want guys back to give us a great regular season and a chance to win it all. Syracuse should not be an annual bubble team and great runs in the tournament don't erase lack luster regular seasons for me.

With the sanctions behind us we should expect to consistently be in the conversation for ACC titles, high tourney seeds, and final four runs the next few years.

We could be loaded next year and end up like Virginia.

NCAA is too much of a crapshoot. Nothing is guaranteed.
That is exactly why having a great regular season matters. Build a great team that can rack up 30+ wins. Enjoy the national exposure and SC highlights. Enjoy knowing that most of the games will not be rock fights. Enjoy cupcakes that are truly stress-free knowing the outcome is never in doubt. Enjoy retaking the attendance crown and discussing whether we'll be a 2 seed in the East or a 1 seed shipped out West.

The SU fan base sorely misses and needs this because our winters are just too long and depressing. March is too unpredictable. A top 10 team provides built-in equity on the investment.

Hypothetical scenario: would you rather have made the Final Four this year (going through dixon-izzo-k-self) and losing to 'nova in a tight contest... with Tyus and Oshea playing well enough these last two rounds to get drafted into the first round and leaving; or next year everyone come back and have a pretty legit shot at competing for the ACC and tourny title. I dunno honestly i'm kinda torn myself...

Well, if we could actually get to play Nova for the title, even w odds stacked against us, I would take that first and let the players leave.

If I know we are losing to Nova then I would not trade a title loss for what should be an entire exciting season upcoming. This program badly needs something more than regular season mediocrity and another losing FF appearance at this point in time.

Media buzz does not equal honest scouting assessment. NBA GMs jobs are literally on the line with these decisions. They're not swayed by Michael Wilbon on PTI or a twitter post, or watching Malachi go 6-16 from the field in one game. They watch him in high shcool, all season long at Syracuse, and then in the workouts, 1-on-1s, 3-on-3s, and 5-on-5 drills. Whether his last 2 three pointers go in or not don't move him up 30 spots.

I have an NBA scout friend. He says other important considerations are character, personal interviews, intelligence, and ability to play D. He personally hated trying to scout Cuse players because of our 100% reliance on Zone, and his inability to project defensive skills as a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom