Would you sign up for this?????? (Spike Albrecht) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Would you sign up for this?????? (Spike Albrecht)

Townie72 said:
I thought I read that Mullins, after attending an Ivy League school for his undergraduate studies, was looking for a university with a top Business School. SU isn't even close to being a top Business School (and I'm a graduate of it). So It sounds like Mullins to SU is a pipe-dream.

Whitman might be better now than you think. Bloomberg Business just came out this week with their rankings of top undergrad business schools and Whitman ranked 23rd. So maybe the grad school isn't too bad?

http://news.syr.edu/whitman-school-ranked-23-in-best-undergrad-business-schools-2016-2016/

Whitman might be better now than you think. Bloomberg Business just came out this week with their rankings of top undergrad business schools and Whitman ranked 23rd. So maybe the grad school isn't too bad?

http://news.syr.edu/whitman-school-ranked-23-in-best-undergrad-business-schools-2016-2016/

Glad to hear it.

First of all, you did say "Undergraduate" business programs and not MBA programs. There;s a pretty big difference because not all the top schools offer undergraduate business programs. I don't think any of the Ivies do except Penn.

But there's a huge difference between a TOP Graduate School of Business and #23. When you say TOP, I think you generally mean Top 5 or Top 10.

I was trying to think of the school with a good basketball program and a TOP MBA program.

Most of the Top MBA schools are not in the mix. Harvard, Penn (Wharton) Chicago etc

But schools like Michigan, Virginia and Duke come to mind.

If you are coming from an Ivy League school, this whole idea of academic snobbery is a huge factor.

Unfortunately Whitman is a disaster. All the top faculty have left in recent years and the ones left behind are trying desperately to get out.

ClamOtto said:
Unfortunately Whitman is a disaster. All the top faculty have left in recent years and the ones left behind are trying desperately to get out.

23rd

ClamOtto said:
Bloomberg must know best, right?

Bloomberg Business is pretty well respected.

Bloomberg Business is pretty well respected.

Whatever.

The point is:

1. IF Mullins is basing his decision on a desire to also get an MBA. (I have no idea if this is true or not, but it seems logical.)

2. And IF he wants a top MBA program. (I'm just guessing about this. He did go to an Ivy League school out of high school.) But a degree from Darden School (UVA) or Wharton (Penn) or a similar Top school is a big deal to those people who worry about that sort of thing (Like the top Management Consulting firms that hire these people.)

Than SU is not well-positioned as a place for him.

Maybe it is from a basketball perspective. But not from an academic one.

We will know what his logic was by reverse-engineering his choice when he makes one.

Townie72 said:
Whatever. The point is: 1. IF Mullins is basing his decision on a desire to also get an MBA. (I have no idea if this is true or not, but it seems logical.) 2. And IF he wants a top MBA program. (I'm just guessing about this. He did go to an Ivy League school out of high school.) But a degree from Darden School (UVA) or Wharton (Penn) or a similar Top school is a big deal to those people who worry about that sort of thing (Like the top Management Consulting firms that hire these people.) Than SU is not well-positioned as a place for him. Maybe it is from a basketball perspective. But not from an academic one. We will know what his logic was by reverse-engineering his choice when he makes one.

I don't even know why you responded to my post. My post was in response to another poster about Bloomberg. You wasted a lot of words.

Whatever.

The point is:

1. IF Mullins is basing his decision on a desire to also get an MBA. (I have no idea if this is true or not, but it seems logical.)

2. And IF he wants a top MBA program. (I'm just guessing about this. He did go to an Ivy League school out of high school.) But a degree from Darden School (UVA) or Wharton (Penn) or a similar Top school is a big deal to those people who worry about that sort of thing (Like the top Management Consulting firms that hire these people.)

Than SU is not well-positioned as a place for him.

Maybe it is from a basketball perspective. But not from an academic one.

We will know what his logic was by reverse-engineering his choice when he makes one.

But Townie, Mullins already knows all this. The fact that he still has Syracuse on his list, and still visited Syracuse means that he is not going to base his decision solely on the rankings of the business school. You are right that it is more advantageous to have an MBA from those other schools, however if that's all he cared about he would've never even had us on his list. So I still think we have a real chance to get him.

The bottom line is: if we're hanging our hopes on Mullins and Albrecht, the coaches haven't been doing their jobs.

But Townie, Mullins already knows all this. The fact that he still has Syracuse on his list, and still visited Syracuse means that he is not going to base his decision solely on the rankings of the business school. You are right that it is more advantageous to have an MBA from those other schools, however if that's all he cared about he would've never even had us on his list. So I still think we have a real chance to get him.

You logic is sound.

But It reminds me of what I do when I am shopping for something and haven't really gotten to how I am going to make the decision.

I don't even know why you responded to my post. My post was in response to another poster about Bloomberg. You wasted a lot of words.

Geez, don't be so defensive.

I thought your post was a logical point in the flow of the conversation at which to insert that argument.

All this makes me wonder why Joseph didn't just stay? How close were Kaleb and Malachi? Maybe he knows Malachi is staying, and didn't want to be the 4th guard(out of the picture again)? Otherwise, why would he leave if he's going to be the 3rd guard?

Trying to be positive here.

The bottom line is: if we're hanging our hopes on Mullins and Albrecht, the coaches haven't been doing their jobs.

No.

The coaches have been doing their jobs.

But these guys are like unexpected manna from Heaven that drops out of the sky.

We are still are working on Plan "A". These guys are Plan "C".

Sort of like when Seikaly shows up In JB's office and tell him he'd like to come to SU.

If the coaches weren't doing their jobs, SU would never be considered.

Let me give you the logic I would use to try and sell Mullins or whoever on SU.

Come to SU and you'll get an advanced degree. It won't be the gold-plated one you might get elsewhere. But those are really only valuable if you want to go into Management Consulting or a similar area. (I have a low regard for management Consultants with fancy pedigrees and no real experience)

But the real reason you should come is for the fun of it, including:

- The fun of playing in front of 25,000 people screaming their brains out 20 times a year and playing in these historic ACC venues the rest of the year. (Mullin has been playing in the Ivy League and for the school with the fewest number of students interested in watching a basketball game.)

- The fun of playing in the ACC Tourney and the NCAA tourney. We are probably going to be good next year (if everybody comes back and the new adds are as good as we think they will be)

- The fun of playing for JB, one of the most cerebral of coaches. A coach that gives you a "framework" and allows you to play your game within it. You aren't just a cog in a system.

Don't squander this opportunity by making a "safe" decision. At the end of your life you'll regret not going for the fun.

All this makes me wonder why Joseph didn't just stay? How close were Kaleb and Malachi? Maybe he knows Malachi is staying, and didn't want to be the 4th guard(out of the picture again)? Otherwise, why would he leave if he's going to be the 3rd guard?

Trying to be positive here.

Lots of reasons.
#1 he doesn't know that Boeheim won't get someone else even if Mal leaves. Mullins, some other transfer, or even a reclassification like Hami. So he might still be the odd guard out.

#2. Regardless of whether he's the third or fourth guard, maybe he knows that Boeheim will never trust him at this point. Boeheim is perfectly capable of playing 2 players 40 minutes. And maybe he feels like he just needs a fresh start from a coaching perspective. Understandable.

#3. Maybe he knows that he's not ready, and wants the extra year to refine his game. That's an underrated part of the transfer process. Think about how different G's career looks with that extra year. Instead of last year bring his senior year, and the year before being his junior year (rarely played), he got to end with this year and played himself right into a possible NBA career.

Townie72 said:
Geez, don't be so defensive. I thought your post was a logical point in the flow of the conversation at which to insert that argument.

Well when someone starts their response with...whatever.

Townie72 said:
No. The coaches have been doing their jobs. But these guys are like unexpected manna from Heaven that drops out of the sky. We are still are working on Plan "A". These guys are Plan "C". Sort of like when Seikaly shows up In JB's office and tell him he'd like to come to SU. If the coaches weren't doing their jobs, SU would never be considered.

They'll have done their jobs when we have at least 10 players on next year's roster and one is a quality backup guard and the other a serviceable big man.

I gotta say every post you write on the board I read them in the voice of the cartoon below. The coaches have gotten the team to 2 Final Fours in 4 years. They got screwed with scholarships last year and had to run 2 guys out and losing Chino/Joseph aren't killers. Doing due diligence doesn't mean they are doing their jobs.

upload_2016-4-23_10-52-4.jpeg

They'll have done their jobs when we have at least 10 players on next year's roster and one is a quality backup guard and the other a serviceable big man.

I think we're looking good inside. 5th year Senior Coleman, who was a solid contributor last year. 7'2 Chukwu, who several other top programs wanted when he was transferring from Providence. Lydon, who off the top of my head was our most productive freshman PF/C since John Wallace 23 years ago. Roberson, a senior who averaged close to a double double and was a huge key to our final 4 run. Plus Moyer, who can play PF. Any serviceable big man that's out there would likely be glued to the bench next year. We'll certainly need a good big man for the following season...and it would look to be much easier to get one in that class because we'll have playing time available in 2 years.

Good freshmen want to get on the court, and obviously so do grad transfers. So what serviceable big men are signing up to come here and sit next year?

Alsacs said:
I gotta say every post you write on the board I read them in the voice of the cartoon below. The coaches have gotten the team to 2 Final Fours in 4 years. They got screwed with scholarships last year and had to run 2 guys out and losing Chino/Joseph aren't killers. Doing due diligence doesn't mean they are doing their jobs.

Exactly. Because they have been to two Final 4s in four years, it shouldn't be difficult to fill the 9th, 10th and 11th spots on the roster of a borderline elite program that plays in the ACC.

OrangeDW said:
I think we're looking good inside. 5th year Senior Coleman, who was a solid contributor last year. 7'2 Chukwu, who several other top programs wanted when he was transferring from Providence. Lydon, who off the top of my head was our most productive freshman PF/C since John Wallace 23 years ago. Roberson, a senior who averaged close to a double double and was a huge key to our final 4 run. Plus Moyer, who can play PF. Any serviceable big man that's out there would likely be glued to the bench next year. We'll certainly need a good big man for the following season...and it would look to be much easier to get one in that class because we'll have playing time available in 2 years. Good freshmen want to get on the court, and obviously so do grad transfers. So what serviceable big men are signing up to come here and sit next year?

JB has created this monster.

We're now at the point where it's difficult to field a team of more than 8-9 players because he has such a short bench.

Exactly. Because they have been to two Final 4s in four years, it shouldn't be difficult to fill the 9th, 10th and 11th spots on the roster of a borderline elite program that plays in the ACC.

It shouldn't be difficult?

And that's because ACC-caliber players are just growing on trees? And there aren't 100 other schools trying to get these guys to play in the 2-3-4 spots as opposed to the 9-10-11?

Tasks are always easy when you don't have to do them yourself.

JB has been on record saying he hates 5th year transfers. Thus, this is new to him closing the deal on these kids.

On the regular recruits it is really late in the game to start recruiting kids from scratch,. I believe we will get Dembele.

We will fill the roster out but these 5th year kids need their egos stroked and assurances. If we go into the season with 9 scholarship guys I will criticize the staff but in April I won't worry right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom