Wow. CFP Implications after this year! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wow. CFP Implications after this year!

I love all these elaborate plans and explanations of how the playoff should be run. But they're a total waste of time and effort. However much you may want to see it run the way you've outlined, the people who run the playoff don't.

The P5 will do everything it can to keep the present system without any changes for as long as it can. If there was to be a true, fair championship set up, it would be done by the NCAA, who would get all the money from selling the TV rights as they do from CBS and its partners for the bball championship. However the P5, and the G5 for that matter, are in no mood to surrender a dime to the NCAA following the Regents of Georgia and Regents of Oklahoma v. NCAA SCOTUS cases said they didn't have to give them the money for non-NCAA championship events. Right now, the P5 gets the money from the playoff and the G5 gets $0.00. They want to keep it that way. Any set-up that brings in a G5 conference reduces the money going to the P5 conferences; that's a non-starter. If there was a way for the P5 to take the money from bball away from the NCAA, they would do it in a nanosecond.

It would seem that any expansion to 8 playoff teams would necessitate elimination of the conference championship games. How much money does the SEC, Big10 and ACC make from these games? If the expansion to 8 teams allows the conferences to make more money, considering the loss of the conference title games, then I think that it will happen.

Assuming that those three conferences make about 15 million per conference title game and that the Big 12 and PAC make about 10 per...(I am guessing)...that means that the playoff expansion will need to generate more (much more) than 65 million in additional money just for the P5.

I don't think that kind of money is there...JMO

There is a thing called the NCAA tournament in CBB and it doesn't seem to devalue the regular season , nor the conference winner or their tournaments.

Also, the NFL is up to 16 games for the regular season and it doesn't seem to have lessened anyone's interest in that regular season when the playoffs and SB seem to take forever.

It most certainly does. I was ecstatic when the Cuse made the final fours but it pissed off everyone else. Same for the Giants winning the title. You don’t get punished for losing regular season games as long as you win enough to get into the playoffs/tournment. The regular season is meaningless in both those sports. Only bubble teams are on pins and needles. For top teams the games don’t matter until the post season. Why people want teams in the post season who don’t deserve it is beyond comprehension.

The only way an expanded playoff would work IMO is if all 10 conference champs get in plus 2 at large. The top 2 teams get a bye into the final four. The #3 team gets a bye into the final 6. Teams 4-6 get a bye into the second round. Teams 7-12 have to win 5 games to become champ.

That makes it extremely important to have a good regular season. Yet it also includes the G5.

Love both the 4 teams and the committee message...you gotta play a tough schedule...makes for lots of mouth-watering OOC games...

And every game becomes so important..gotta bring your A game each and every week...

College gridiron regular season is the best there is, IMHO.

Alabama's strength of schedule following the CCGs - 56

To put it in perspective, Wisconsin after getting heat all season for playing an easy schedule - 50

The other two Conference Champions with two losses: Ohio State - 28; USC - 16

Sagarin Link

I would say the committee's message was that the rules do not apply to the SEC/Alabama,

So a playoff would look like this:

12/9
Troy at USC
FAU at UCF
Toledo at Boise State

12/16
Boise State at Bama
UCF at tOSU
USC at Wisconsin

12/23
Wisconsin at UGa
tOSU at Bama

1/1
Bama vs Clemson
UGa vs OU

1/9
OU vs Clemson

Alabama is playing the de facto #1 team in the country...and is favored.

And likely nobody has a problem with that.

But they have a problem they are even in the game???...

Ok...

:bat:

Alabama's strength of schedule following the CCGs - 56

To put it in perspective, Wisconsin after getting heat all season for playing an easy schedule - 50

The other two Conference Champions with two losses: Ohio State - 28; USC - 16

Sagarin Link

I would say the committee's message was that the rules do not apply to the SEC/Alabama,

Although Not Alabama's fault that FSU was awful this year. Normally, that is a top ten team. Wisky didn't even try.

Nevertheless, you are probably right, 'bama probably does get more of the benefit of the doubt because of the vast amount of success they've had year-in and year-out.

It most certainly does. I was ecstatic when the Cuse made the final fours but it pissed off everyone else. Same for the Giants winning the title. You don’t get punished for losing regular season games as long as you win enough to get into the playoffs/tournment. The regular season is meaningless in both those sports. Only bubble teams are on pins and needles. For top teams the games don’t matter until the post season. Why people want teams in the post season who don’t deserve it is beyond comprehension.
To paraphrase Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven: “Deserves got nothing to do with it”.
It’s sports...and the best thing about sports is the unpredictablity. A team coming out of nowhere to upset the apple cart is what it’s all about, IMO.
Personally, i think most people prefer the underdog, as opposed to seeing chalk up and down the line. Besides, if a team is really that good, theoretically they should be able to fight off an upset bid, right?
IMO, watching a tense game between a heavy favorite, being put to the test against a plucky overachiever in a meaningful game, is one of the great aspects of sport.
We can agree to disagree, but i submit the majority of sports fans prefer upsets over dominance, unless their team’s the one being upset. JMHO

Last edited:
I love all these elaborate plans and explanations of how the playoff should be run. But they're a total waste of time and effort. However much you may want to see it run the way you've outlined, the people who run the playoff don't.

The P5 will do everything it can to keep the present system without any changes for as long as it can. If there was to be a true, fair championship set up, it would be done by the NCAA, who would get all the money from selling the TV rights as they do from CBS and its partners for the bball championship. However the P5, and the G5 for that matter, are in no mood to surrender a dime to the NCAA following the Regents of Georgia and Regents of Oklahoma v. NCAA SCOTUS cases said they didn't have to give them the money for non-NCAA championship events. Right now, the P5 gets the money from the playoff and the G5 gets $0.00. They want to keep it that way. Any set-up that brings in a G5 conference reduces the money going to the P5 conferences; that's a non-starter. If there was a way for the P5 to take the money from bball away from the NCAA, they would do it in a nanosecond.

Many people thought there would never be a playoff, then came the BCS games and now the playoffs. Expansion of teh playoffs is not a stretch, especially when one considers the lower levels of CFB have a 16 team playoff!

The issue of the NCAA football championship going to the NCAA has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, you are correct that the NCAA will not see a dime of the bowl revenue, especially when one considers how they get half the NCAA tourney money, have an over-bloated staff and still manage to screw up nearly everything they touch. That said, the P5 need the G5 for fodder. Teams are only allowed one DIAA game and the B1G has banned them in the future. Thus, to rack up the minimum 6 wins, there needs to be a pool of beatable teams outside the P5. Otherwise, the bowls drop in number and the eligible teams are reduced because of a separation from the G5. If the G5 does not receive enough of a payday and at least an appearance of opportunity, they cannot generate enough money to stay in the D1A grouping (P5 and G5). The P5 needing the G5 for fodder is one reason that P5 hasn't spun itself off from the NCAA, they need fodder in football and hoops to keep the big cash rolling in.

Leaving one of the P5 conferences out of the playoffs was barely acceptable.* Leaving two out, especially when there is reasonable debate regarding Alabama, is devastating to the process. They will figure a way to get at least the last P5 team in, whether 4 & 5 play first and the winner plays #1, or the expand to 6 or more teams. Will it happen overnight? Probably not. Regardless, the bowl system is their money generator with TV rights, they will find a way, and they will incorporate bowls if possible.

*It was acceptable when many thought the Big 12 or the ACC would collapse. Fox Sports' and ESPN's deals with the Big 12 and with the B1G have proved there is far more money available that previously thought. With more cash available, the conferences have no reason to devour the Big 12 (or ACC - which is not likely to happen, regardless).

Although Not Alabama's fault that FSU was awful this year. Normally, that is a top ten team. Wisky didn't even try.

Nevertheless, you are probably right, 'bama probably does get more of the benefit of the doubt because of the vast amount of success they've had year-in and year-out.

Wisconsin played a true OOC road game (something Alabama has not done for at least 10 years) at BYU. Unfortunately for Wisconsin's schedule, this was the year BYU hit rock bottom.

I wasn't trying to argue Wisconsin had a good schedule or that Alabama scheduled only the Mercers of the world, just pointing out the hypocrisy of the committee and the ESPN talking heads.

Flawed logic. I hate the Giants and still loved them taking down the Pats. The Pats crushed the reg season “only caring about the postseason” and then lost the game that mattered most.

People don’t watch sports for crowning of favorites. We watch for a good story. Expanding the playoffs invites more CFB fans to care about the drama. That’s only good.

The P5 conferences have all the leverage. The G5 would take peanuts to just be included. If expansion meant more money for the P5, they’ll do it eventually.

Flawed logic. I hate the Giants and still loved them taking down the Pats. The Pats crushed the reg season “only caring about the postseason” and then lost the game that mattered most.

People don’t watch sports for crowning of favorites. We watch for a good story. Expanding the playoffs invites more CFB fans to care about the drama. That’s only good.

That was a good story because of the Pats. It could have been a more deserving 11-5 NFC team and the story would have been the same.

Would UCF wining the Title be a great story? Yes. But would a 10-3 Auburn be a good story? IMO that would suck.

A Cinderella story is great but just like Cuse making the Final Four, a P5 team isn’t a Cinderella but a party crasher.

I find the "regular season is meaningless " trope to be incorrect, and to use your word, incomprehensible.

Define "meaningless", first of all.

I'm a Pats fan, I know they are going to make the playoffs, and yet I will be watching every remaining regular season game with rapt attention. Getting the #1 seed and home field advantage is incredibly meaningful. In fact, as past seasons proved out, it may the most meaningful thing they can do to advance to the Super Bowl.

How was SU's regular season in hoops meaningless last season? Had we not lost those December games we likely would have made the tournament. All of them had meaning.

You can argue that in some sports not every regular season game warrants max intensity. NBA teams rest players, etc. But to call the regular season meaningless is something a sports fan shouldn't believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom