wow JS looking good!! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

wow JS looking good!!

I use linear regression to analyze sports statistics for a living. I used to do empirical work for the Blue Jays. I currently represent a client purchasing a major sports franchise, and I'll be in a pro front office within six months. Don't worry, I'll keep ya updated :D. I'm no slouch on statistical analysis.
Your p-value is a pee-value with regard to understanding basketball.

I use linear regression to analyze sports statistics for a living. I used to do empirical work for the Blue Jays. I currently represent a client purchasing a major sports franchise, and I'll be in a pro front office within six months. Don't worry, I'll keep ya updated :D. I'm no slouch on statistical analysis.
ever heard of curvilinear? Always go for the best fit. Who in the world relies on linear regression?

And how did KJo shoot as a sophmore?22% How good did Nichols shoot it as a sophmore?-25% How good did Wes Johnson shoot it as a sophmore?-33%

Its not out of the picture that he is the upperclassmen we all underestimated would get better.

Just watch his eyes on the rim his release patience and lift on his jumper. The guy is more in a zone now. Hes beginning to get that stone cold eyes on the rim look that SG's have. That look where his eyes aren't coming off of the rim unless he knows its in.

Nice stats problem is they were from last year for a underclassmen.

I could care less about advanced metrics.

58min 16-25fg 6-93pt 3-4ft 15reb 6as 4stl 2blk 1to

Thats good no matter what calculations you can come up with to say otherwise.
That is good all the time no matter what your volume of use or anything else you can tell me. I do not care if a guy shooting 67% from the field 67% from 3 ever gets to the line.

Shooting above 50% from 3 is always good no matter how many times you are shooting.

Granted Southerland needs to prove he can play this way against better competition. He is obviously not going to shoot those percentages all season but if he stays with the shot selection he has been then he should shoot a high percentage. He is rebounding better and defending better.

JS has never looked like this before. His state line from he last game was fantastic.

Advanced metrics are fine, but like any other tool, they need to be applied judiciously. JS's play last year does not look to be at all indicative of his play this year.

JB kindof agrees though.

He said postgame "James really saved the first half. He made a bunch of shots or it would have been a close game" He said.." Thats not the way you want to play its not a good way to play."

Very true. The Blue Jays sucked, and my work didn't help much. But I am very familiar with advanced metrics and professional statistical analysis.

I get a little tired of people who don't even know what linear regression is (and who have never worked professionally in sports) hurling ad hominums and saying I don't know anything about stats every time I use an advanced metric.

I have a BS in Statistics.

Do you think people care?

Like seriously dude, you come on here to bash South after his best game at SU? I'm all about stats but why are you trying to put a guy down? Also, you listed two centers in efficiency over James from last year, obviously they will be more efficient when all they do for shooting is dunk. Oh Lord

fanfanclubclub, you are making an early run at the most idiotic poster of the year.

:crazy:

If you are familiar with his work on the football board, he's had this title wrapped up for months.

14 points for james in 10 minutes thats pretty darn good. By the 9:30 second mark he had 14 points :)

14 points for james in 10 minutes thats pretty darn good. By the 9:30 second mark he had 14 points :)

Nope, not according to this one poster, right about at that very exact time of the game:

"he looks like a 10th man to me. Huge gunner, shoots way too much and not very efficiently"

fanfanclubclub
11/15/11
7:29pm

James Southerland shot 8-12 tonight, and 3-4 from 3. Definitely not efficient enough. He's a chucker...:bang:

Anybody who wants to somehow take the shine off what James is doing as of late deprives themselves of the sheer delight in witnessing the unexpected improvement of a player who could make a major difference for the team this year. Sheesh... I do limburger impressions for the Sisters of the Poor tag team Bingo squad. Statistical analysis will seldom if ever indicate the probability of a player suddenly having a personal epiphany coupled with off season preparation which equates to becoming a more valuable commodity on the floor for the team.

mark_twain002_bw_web.gif

"There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damned lies and statistics"
Mark Twain

"Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable"
Mark Twain

040201gall_belichick.jpg

"Statistics are for losers"
Bill Belichick

"Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures"
Evan Esar

seaver4-778765.jpg

In baseball, my theory is to strive for consistency, not to worry about the numbers. If you dwell on statistics you get shortsighted, if you aim for consistency, the numbers will be there at the end.
Tom Seaver

images

"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth"
George Canning

200px-Belloc_side.jpg

"Statistics are the triumph of the quantitative method, and the quantitative method is the victory of sterility and death."
Hilaire Belloc

launch-26-blogger-Mark-Suster-pop_3095.jpeg

"73.6% of all statistcs are made up"
Mark Suster

henryclay3.jpg

"Statistics are no substitute for judgement"
Henry Clay

savant_bm_berlin_fr_335864g_a187296

"Be able to analyze statistics, which can be used to support or undercut almost any argument"
Marilyn vos Savant

kline.jpg

"Statistics: the mathematical theory of ignorance."
Morris Kline

Century_Mag_Andrew_Lang_at_work.png

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than for illumination."
Andrew Lang

dizzydean.jpg

"I never keep a scorecard or the batting averages. I hate statistics. What I got to know, I keep in my head."
Dizzy Dean

I'd like to see JS near the free throw line and and have the option of shot or pass down low. Did he drive to the hoop at all last night?

I'm happy for JS but we've seen this before from him, its not shocking, the only time it will shock me is during Big East play, if he does this during Big East, now that's saying something.

After I read this post during the game last night, my father and I yelled hucker, or gunner! Every time JSmoov shot, its fun.

meh, he looks like a 10th man to me. Huge gunner, shoots way too much and not very efficiently (44% career shooter, 36% from 3), he is a poor rebounder and shot blocker for his size, an ineffective defender and he hardly ever gets to the line. If he played 25 minutes a game, he would lead the team in shots, misses, and used possessions most nights out.

Currently, Southerland has more shot attempts than:

Waiters,
Joseph,
Fair,
Xmas,
MCW, and
BMK
combined.

I hate how often we use the early season to cement bad habits, by allowing gunners to post meaningless but gaudy numbers against bad competition. If given a chance, Mookie would light up many of these teams in the early season.

We are much better moving the ball around, and not having gunners take over the offense.

Seriously man, what is wrong with you?

You make a nut job post recently on the football board and now this.

Who the F cares what James did last year? Like almost all of the younger guys, he has moved his game up a notch. I care about THIS year, and oh by the way...if your arguement is solid, you don't have to factor in data from a time that no longer exists to make your point. How about if someone described your height as an average between your current height and your height at 6 months old? Would that be valid? Of course not. But that's more or less what you are doing.

James is playing well and deserves court time. In fact, he probably deserves to be starting ahead of Christmas. Can he keep it up against tougher competition? I have no idea, but then again I have no idea if a lot of the other guys...particularly the frosh...can either.

As far as "gunners taking over the offense", a few names come to mind who have done that in the past at key times; GMac, Rautins, Devo, Jimmy Lee, Greg Kohls, and the list goes on and on.

As Charlie Brown of Peanuts fame once said "Tell your statistics to shut up"

I actually counted. JS dribbled the ball just 3 times the whole night.

Not to take away from his ability to hit shots ... but good defenses will pressure him and he has yet to show that he can handle that pressure.

Seriously man, what is wrong with you?

You make a nut job post recently on the football board and now this.

Who the F cares what James did last year? Like almost all of the younger guys, he has moved his game up a notch. I care about THIS year, and oh by the way...if your arguement is solid, you don't have to factor in data from a time that no longer exists to make your point. How about if someone described your height as an average between your current height and your height at 6 months old? Would that be valid? Of course not. But that's more or less what you are doing.

James is playing well and deserves court time. In fact, he probably deserves to be starting ahead of Christmas. Can he keep it up against tougher competition? I have no idea, but then again I have no idea if a lot of the other guys...particularly the frosh...can either.

As far as "gunners taking over the offense", a few names come to mind who have done that in the past at key times; GMac, Rautins, Devo, Jimmy Lee, Greg Kohls, and the list goes on and on.

As Charlie Brown of Peanuts fame once said "Tell your statistics to shut up"

Watch out Dick, you're definitely going down on his pro-Southerland list. This has most certainly been recorded into his journal and will be used in the future against you when Southerland has a so-called "poor" game.

We, as rational human beings, understand that players improve and Southerland 2010-11 is not necessarily the same player as Southerland 2011-12. Some others, as smart as they think they are, apparently don't quite get that. If his linear regression analysis didn't tell him so, it just can't be true.

We don't need to know the efficiency stats of players to judge whether
they are doing well or not. He's doing well now. Take it. Last year he
was up at times (some) and down at times (more often). This year I
hope he's up more than he's down.

And if he can do what that Seton Hall guy did at the Dome last year,
just keep stepping further and further back, and still hit the shot, he
doesn't need to dribble.

Although I wish that was part of his game.

Kev

I'd like to see JS near the free throw line and and have the option of shot or pass down low. Did he drive to the hoop at all last night?

Haven't seen the replay yet, so I'm not sure, but they used him at the high post a little on Monday. Worked very well; hopefully we see a lot more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom