Wow PSU | Syracusefan.com

Wow PSU

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
They were given 2 choices. Release their 1998 130 page police report on Sandusky or don't receive state funding anymore. They chose not to receive funding any longer.

That says a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX

holy crap...I guess they are banking on a lot of donor money.

I presume that is for athletics only correct? The entire school is publicly funded... I wonder how much a year they get for athletics?

I had read somewhere that PA had already slashed their appropriation in half for 2011 and 2012 to something like $170-180M per year. They must believe that they can wring that out of a combination of cost cutting and tuition increases. They may also be looking at campus closures for some of the satellite campuses. Still, that report has to be the ultimate smoking gun.

holy , that is really bad. I wonder what that does to their non revenue sports?

They were given 2 choices. Release their 1998 130 page police report on Sandusky or don't receive state funding anymore. They chose not to receive funding any longer.

That says a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX

Why aren't they showing it?

Why aren't they showing it?
It's probably the most disgusting 130-page report in the world.

Man, thats unbelievable. That 130 page report must be incredibly damning.

It's probably the most disgusting 130-page report in the world.

I understand that, but won't all of the details come out during the trial?

wikipedian_protester.png

That says a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX

Do you have a citation? Where is this reported? Very interesting indeed.

Wait, that doesn't make sense. It could easily be subpeona'd by the Feds or State GA's office. Plus, if they are a public school, it should be public record.

I thought I remembered hearing that the Athletic Department is separate from the school and wasn't directly funded by the state.

Maybe it had to do with JoePa's salary.

Contrary to what many outside academia think, Penn State, like many "state" institutions (Ohio State, U. Virginia, U. Delaware) receive a relatively small amount (typically around 10%) of their operating budget from taxpayers. PSU currently receives only 8% of the budget from the state, a figure that has eroded significantly over the past 2 decades; under the proposed budget cuts, this figure drops to 4%.

As the fraction continues to shrink, many state assisted institutions are beginning to seriously consider if their bottom line and institutional interests (including FOIA compliance) would be better served by forgoing any public assistance and becoming de facto private universities like Syracuse. If you do the math, a sizable portion of the state contribution would be recovered by eliminating the tuition break received by in-state students (imagine the political fallout if this happened!). Universities may also be counting on the resurgence of the stock market to bolster their endowments to cover the shortfall.

I have no idea what the Sandusky report does or doesn't say, and maybe PSU is calling the PA Governor's bluff, but the combination of the proposed cuts and pressure to release the report may be the perfect storm that is driving this.

Wait, that doesn't make sense. It could easily be subpeona'd by the Feds or State GA's office. Plus, if they are a public school, it should be public record.
You would think so, TexasCPA, but that's not the case. I think only Delaware and Pennsylvania now maintain laws that in effect make these institutions eligible for state funding, but don't require the schools nor the respective Boards of Trustees to release information about their operations.

Gov. Corbett in Pa has made clear, in the aftermath of the Sandusky scandal, that a lot more transparency will be required of Penn State if it is to receive its huge annual allotment of state funding, which, BTW, includes both operational funding and capital improvements $$'s.

By contrast, Gov. Jack Markell of Delaware has, as recently as last month, reiterated that requiring transparency from both the University of Delaware and Delaware State University is 'not a priority of this administration'. BTW, the 'relatively small' amount that the UD received last year for operational expenses was $112 million. Hey, if they want to give that up, I'm all for it.

I find the Delaware governor's position more than ironic in light of a recent contract-bidding scandal at Del State that ensnared a powerful former Delaware legislator who was 'moonlighting' as the person in charge of purchasing and procurement at Del State...to the tune of about $120K per year.

One bone of contention in both states regards the full minutes of the meetings of the schools' respective Boards of Trustees. All too often, the BOT's will go into 'executive session' to discuss important business and then only meet officially to conduct pro-forma business. Release of minutes dating back at least a decade in the Sandusky matter would help clarify how deeply, and for how long, the University was involved in the entire matter.

These schools are powerful, with tens of thousands of alumni, and scores of lobbyists in the state capitol.

That's why it's taken something as sordid as the Sandusky affair (and, remember, Corbett was criticized for 'slow-walking' this when he was the state's Attorney General) to make this a front-burner issue. As a resident of Delaware, and someone familiar with the incestuous ways of Delaware's institutions, I'm not holding my breath for reform here. It will take a huge scandal, one much bigger than a $2 mill bid-rigging evidently, to force some sunlight onto these huge devourers of state funding.

You would think so, TexasCPA, but that's not the case. I think only Delaware and Pennsylvania now maintain laws that in effect make these institutions eligible for state funding, but don't require the schools nor the respective Boards of Trustees to release information about their operations.

did not know that. Thanks for the info.

Wonder how all this effects Pitt?

I can't imagine how PSU could go "private". Aren't they chartered by the state and aren't all their assets(facilities etc) owned by the state?

I understand that, but won't all of the details come out during the trial?

Absolutely...it's material to the discovery process...interrogatories/bill of particulars, etc.

Wonder how all this effects Pitt?

I can't imagine how PSU could go "private". Aren't they chartered by the state and aren't all their assets(facilities etc) owned by the state?
No more so than the PSU library is "owned" by the Paterno family.

That says a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX
Details? Is there anywhere to go to get more information? Do you think this decision will be made public? I searched the Governor's Executive Budget and could find nothing other than a 30% cut in funding for PSU. Perhaps PSU made the decision and it is incorporated in the overall 30% cut. Anything? Anything at all?