wow | Syracusefan.com

wow

igor

2nd String
my favorite time of year because college bball is about to start. this is the most unknown mix of players I can remember. I think this is going to be a physically bigger and stronger team than we're used to. coleman is a bonus, but not necessary to success. rak is an emerging star, but refs can take centers out of the game. I think our long range success is largely in the hands of joseph. yes he's talented and strong, but we need him to get it. less for him means more for the team. when he breaks away will he turn and feed mc cullough and Roberson for monster jams or will he do his interpretation of the okc point guard. jb needs to modify his style also. that is play them all. play hard then rest not only against cupcakes but duke too. look for jb to include mike more than he ever has. good luck; let's go orange.

Last edited:
jb needs to modify his style also. that is play them all. play hard then rest not only against cupcakes but duke too. long for jb to include mike more than he ever has.

Not sure if you mean that from this perspective or not, but I would agree from the perspective that we do not have any returning stars that deserve to dominate the minutes available. We have a pretty deep 8-10 guys in terms of talent no reason not to give significant minutes to many of them and give a few others repeated opps to earn more.

Xmas
Cooney
Joseph
McCullough
Roberson
Gbinije
BJ
Chino (as a necessary backup at the 5)

Assuming Coleman is not really available, I don't see any way that the first 7 guys are not part of the rotation. Then you can add Chino because ready or not he is probably going to have to be force fed some minutes as a back up at the 5. If Coleman is available I think that probably negates Chino's playing time and it might also impact BJ's playing time in a significant way depending on how much time Coleman and Rak spend on the floor together. I kind of think Patterson only gets minutes if a part of the above rotation isn't working.

Not sure if you mean that from this perspective or not, but I would agree from the perspective that we do not have any returning stars that deserve to dominate the minutes available. We have a pretty deep 8-10 guys in terms of talent no reason not to give significant minutes to many of them and give a few others repeated opps to earn more.

Xmas
Cooney
Joseph
McCullough
Roberson
Gbinije
BJ

Assuming Coleman is not really available, I don't see any way that the first 7 guys are not part of the rotation. Then you can add Chino because ready or not he is probably going to have to be force fed some minutes as a back up at the 5. If Coleman is available I think that probably negates Chino's playing time and it might also impact BJ's playing time in a significant way depending on how much time Coleman and Rak spend on the floor together. I kind of think Patterson only gets minutes if a part of the above rotation isn't working.
I concur. With or without Coleman, I don't see how JB can get away with playing less than 8. I'd always like to see a longer rotation but that rarely happens, meaning Patterson is most likely to get squeezed. Unless someone really emerges at the 2, I'd like to see Patterson get a shot at some minutes, but I'm not confident that he would even if Cooney/Gbinije struggle to provide consistent perimeter shooting. The team needs a better rotation dynamic than last year, where 5 guys were manning 4 positions, that would end in disaster again if the rotation were to play out that way. My preference would be to see something like this

Player MPG
Christmas 28
Obokoh 10
McCullough 28
Roberson 27
Johnson 19
Gbinije 21
Cooney 24
Patterson 15
Joseph 28

Xmas
Cooney
Joseph
McCullough
Roberson
Gbinije
BJ

That's the lineup for sure. The question is: will Patterson carve out some PT as another shooter.

my favorite time of year because college bball is about to start. this is the most unknown mix of players I can remember. I think this is going to be a physically bigger and stronger team than we're used to. coleman is a bonus, but not necessary to success. rak is an emerging star, but refs can take centers out of the game. I think our long range success is largely in the hands of joseph. yes he's talented and strong, but we need him to get it. less for him means more for the team. when he breaks away will he turn and feed mc cullough and Roberson for monster jams or will he do his interpretation of the okc point guard. jb needs to modify his style also. that is play them all. play hard then rest not only against cupcakes but duke too. look for jb to include mike more than he ever has. good luck; let's go orange.
Whoa.

I just agreed with virtually everything igor said.

Welp, the Earth had a good run, I guess.

I have a feeling and I am seldom right but I think BJ is going to emerge as our hustle guy not unlike Kristoff.

I'll take it one step further--I believe that BJ will end up being this year's high scoring super-sub, and could easily approach double figures. I think he'll provide comparable contributions to what KJ delivered as a sophomore. Scoring, rebounding, athleticism in the open floor, and a complimentary three point marksman.

Just my gut feeling, but I'd be shocked if he isn't playing something close to starter's minutes, like other super subs KJ / Scoop / Southerlad / Dion / before him.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiments that BJ looks more like an "offense off the bench" type than a Kong-like hustle guy. Quite frankly the team will need BJ to be a guy who can knock down 3's as well as finish in transition. I think he's below McCullough and Roberson on the forward depth chart though, might be hard to get starters minutes though something like 20 MPG could be realistic.

I'll take it one step further--I believe that BJ will end up being this year's high scoring super-sub, and could easily approach double figures. I think he'll provide comparable contributions to what KJ delivered as a sophomore. Scoring, rebounding, athleticism in the open floor, and a complimentary three point marksman.

Just my gut feeling, but I'd be shocked if he isn't playing something close to starter's minutes, like other super subs KJ / Scoop / Southerlad / Dion / before him.
I agree but was too chicken to say it.

BJ is still listed as 185lbs. I hope that is outdated info.

On one hand it seems like every year, we talk about how we will replace all the players that left. On the other hand, I feel like we lost more this year than we have before - top three scorers, top two rebounders (and Coleman out for at least a while) and our starting point guard. I think we will probably make the tourney, but I also think we have more questions about this team than we have others going into the season. I'll put it out there right now, that I'm happy with a tournament appearance.

On one hand it seems like every year, we talk about how we will replace all the players that left. On the other hand, I feel like we lost more this year than we have before - top three scorers, top two rebounders (and Coleman out for at least a while) and our starting point guard. I think we will probably make the tourney, but I also think we have more questions about this team than we have others going into the season. I'll put it out there right now, that I'm happy with a tournament appearance.

If I transported your post through time back to the 2012 and 2013 seasons, with the exception of your one sentence about who we specifically lost the rest would be completely applicable to those years.

College sports are all about attrition, and reloading after players graduate [or depart for whatever reason].

if joseph can play, we are final four elite eight good

A big percentage of the production from last season's team is gone. That may be true, but I don't have the feeling that any of the guys we lost are irreplaceable by any stretch. Maybe it is because the team seemed so fatally flawed by the end of the season (which is really a strange way to feel about a team that finished 28-6.) Remember we lost 6 of our last 9 games. I enjoyed the individual players that comprised last season's team, but by the end of the season I really didn't enjoy watching them together on the court as a team because I didn't feel like they could beat good opponents anymore.

We will replace the production, after all someone has to score and grab rebounds...it happens for every team. Can we translate the replacement production into wins.....we shall see.

If I transported your post through time back to the 2012 and 2013 seasons, with the exception of your one sentence about who we specifically lost the rest would be completely applicable to those years.

College sports are all about attrition, and reloading after players graduate [or depart for whatever reason].
I agree with you we've lost a lot in years past...my question is have we lost as much as we have last year?

I agree with you we've lost a lot in years past...my question is have we lost as much as we have last year?

Oh, I DEFINITELY think we've lost as much [and a lot more, in some cases] as we did last year. The difference is that we generally have more proven talent returning. This year... not so much.

Oh, I DEFINITELY think we've lost as much [and a lot more, in some cases] as we did last year. The difference is that we generally have more proven talent returning. This year... not so much.
only jb doesn't play Roberson and Patterson. with calipari they might have been one and done. bj, though talented wasn't ready

only jb doesn't play Roberson and Patterson. with calipari they might have been one and done.

2574445-4236261275-okaay.gif

Aaaaaaaaaaand it would've been authored by RandygoDuke.

We can never let him live it down. Never.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom