Class of 2023 - WR Darrell Gill (TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/1/23) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 WR Darrell Gill (TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/1/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, forgot all about this kid but finally watched his highlights. A few things stand out as to why alot of schools may have passed.

First, size, playing strength, ball skills, and explosiveness stand out on film. Kid looks every bit of 6'3" and has a curious frame, really wide up top but high cut with really long legs. Build, frame and sinewy muscle mass reminds me of Tommy Hearns. What an assassin that guy was! I digress... Very sudden athlete, extremely explosive, his leaping and burst and punch to get off press is really impressive. I'm not seeing the high top end speed though, he's very fast but not a burner who climbs the ladder up into ludicrous speed territory. He seems to get up to speed quickly but not show sustained acceleration. Kind of strange. Would be interested to see his 10 yard splits, I would bet he's off the charts at 10y and 20y and then levels out.

I think the knock on this kid is two-fold. I'm not seeing the diverse route running that BillSU mentions. I see a quite rudimentary, to perhaps non-existent route tree, very rudimentary stem and questionable hip flexibility/fluidity. This could be an area the kids needs a lot of development, it's hard to evaluate just from the highlights. But I can definitely see it as a concern.

Second thing, and I'm doing a lot of guesswork and conjecture from limited photos and film, but the kids physique, the Hearns comp, and his listed weight given his height strikes me as the body type that is difficult to add weight. That sinewy type of muscle, I would call it skeletal muscle, those guys always have a hell of a hard time adding mass and usually end up playing very light. Emmanuel Forbes from Miss Stare is a great example. Kid weighed 166 at the combine this year and it really shows on tape, he can get bullied by receivers that are bigger and more physical. I can see that being a concern here. To his credit he's got some good contested catches on tape, he can definitely go up and compete for the ball in the air and is not afraid of contact. That bodes well.

On the whole I think this is an exciting pick up. His combo of size and speed is hard to come by, and he's got excellent ball skills which are really one of the most crucial attributes for a wide receiver. Definitely the right tools to work with, let's see if MJ can earn his paycheck and put this kid in the league in a few years. And OttoinGrotto, I was too harsh earlier. I grew up in West Texas and have a special place tucked away in my hard heart for the state. The politics of the place drive me nuts though and culturally it is just a different planet now, compared to when I was kid growing up there. It's easy to get down on Texans sometimes because we are worlds apart. That said, for every Chance Amie and Tre Allison, I'll raise you an Alton Robinson and Jason Simmons. I truly believe there is a place for Texas at Syracuse, we just need to acknowledge that we're very different, but if we stay open there is common ground to be found.

Ok, forgot all about this kid but finally watched his highlights. A few things stand out as to why alot of schools may have passed.

First, size, playing strength, ball skills, and explosiveness stand out on film. Kid looks every bit of 6'3" and has a curious frame, really wide up top but high cut with really long legs. Build, frame and sinewy muscle mass reminds me of Tommy Hearns. What an assassin that guy was! I digress... Very sudden athlete, extremely explosive, his leaping and burst and punch to get off press is really impressive. I'm not seeing the high top end speed though, he's very fast but not a burner who climbs the ladder up into ludicrous speed territory. He seems to get up to speed quickly but not show sustained acceleration. Kind of strange. Would be interested to see his 10 yard splits, I would bet he's off the charts at 10y and 20y and then levels out.

I think the knock on this kid is two-fold. I'm not seeing the diverse route running that BillSU mentions. I see a quite rudimentary, to perhaps non-existent route tree, very rudimentary stem and questionable hip flexibility/fluidity. This could be an area the kids needs a lot of development, it's hard to evaluate just from the highlights. But I can definitely see it as a concern.

Second thing, and I'm doing a lot of guesswork and conjecture from limited photos and film, but the kids physique, the Hearns comp, and his listed weight given his height strikes me as the body type that is difficult to add weight. That sinewy type of muscle, I would call it skeletal muscle, those guys always have a hell of a hard time adding mass and usually end up playing very light. Emmanuel Forbes from Miss Stare is a great example. Kid weighed 166 at the combine this year and it really shows on tape, he can get bullied by receivers that are bigger and more physical. I can see that being a concern here. To his credit he's got some good contested catches on tape, he can definitely go up and compete for the ball in the air and is not afraid of contact. That bodes well.

On the whole I think this is an exciting pick up. His combo of size and speed is hard to come by, and he's got excellent ball skills which are really one of the most crucial attributes for a wide receiver. Definitely the right tools to work with, let's see if MJ can earn his paycheck and put this kid in the league in a few years. And OttoinGrotto, I was too harsh earlier. I grew up in West Texas and have a special place tucked away in my hard heart for the state. The politics of the place drive me nuts though and culturally it is just a different planet now, compared to when I was kid growing up there. It's easy to get down on Texans sometimes because we are worlds apart. That said, for every Chance Amie and Tre Allison, I'll raise you an Alton Robinson and Jason Simmons. I truly believe there is a place for Texas at Syracuse, we just need to acknowledge that we're very different, but if we stay open there is common ground to be found.

That's quite an analysis!

Blizz, you forgot one very special thing that Mr. Gill can do that nobody else can on this board which helps him catch high thrown balls over the defenders head. He can vertical jump 44".
Is it hard to get a 40-inch vertical?
99% of players will never have a 40-inch vertical, no matter how hard they train.

Blizz, you forgot one very special thing that Mr. Gill can do that nobody else can on this board which helps him catch high thrown balls over the defenders head. He can vertical jump 44".
Is it hard to get a 40-inch vertical?
99% of players will never have a 40-inch vertical, no matter how hard they train.
If that number is legit it is off the chart.
Very few NBA players have a 44 vert. Its an insane number for a football player.

If that number is legit it is off the chart.
Very few NBA players have a 44 vert. Its an insane number for a football player.
Also easy to verify, not as subjective as 40 times.

IMG_3899.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors