Class of 2020 - WR Jordan Addison (MD) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Jordan Addison (MD)

Pandora's box has been opened and the only people with the power to close it are as inept as the NCAA. That's our wonderful Congress.
So enjoy the ride it's only going to get worse. The schools can't make any rules or punish anyone without a lawsuit.
There are few things I am as pessimistic about as college sports. Probably because I have enjoyed them so much for so many decades. Pandora’s box cannot be closed. We missed our window a long while back when we needed to push for legitimate minor leagues for major sports, as opposed to college run minor leagues. We needed to steer kids who weren’t interested in an education to those leagues. Emphasize the student athlete. Make the case for education as a life-long, and life-changing advantage. Now we are desperately trying to cling onto a product that is going so far away from its original purpose as to no longer be recognizable.

We had a good run…

No it’s great for SOME kids… maybe even a SELECT FEW kids. It’s bad for the sport. Bad for the schools. And bad for the fans. And once the sport is ruined those other kids won’t be getting scholarships. It will be semi-pro, pay to play, short term contracts for a few bucks for almost everyone. An education is a lifetime payoff. As opposed to a few thousand dollars for a couple of years and then see ya later.
I don’t see those scenarios happening for the majority of college sports. While I don’t like what’s happening, the OPPORTUNITY to make money is there for all the kids. SOME or SELECT will make lots of money, but the OPPORTUNITY is there to make money for kids that wouldn’t make money professionally from the sport but have a brand that fans enjoy. Plus they will still have that valued education.

I don’t see those scenarios happening for the majority of college sports. While I don’t like what’s happening, the OPPORTUNITY to make money is there for all the kids. SOME or SELECT will make lots of money, but the OPPORTUNITY is there to make money for kids that wouldn’t make money professionally from the sport but have a brand that fans enjoy. Plus they will still have that valued education.
Will they? I don’t see it. Maybe you’re right. Hope you’re right. Let me ask you this… in the last let’s say 25 years of college amateur athletics, do you think things have been trending in a positive direction? Or a negative direction? If positive, well we just won’t agree on anything. If negative, how do the changes in the last couple of years break that cycle? Or is this really just the next step toward professionalism and the death knell of college athletics and the student athlete?

Will they? I don’t see it. Maybe you’re right. Hope you’re right. Let me ask you this… in the last let’s say 25 years of college amateur athletics, do you think things have been trending in a positive direction? Or a negative direction? If positive, well we just won’t agree on anything. If negative, how do the changes in the last couple of years break that cycle? Or is this really just the next step toward professionalism and the death knell of college athletics and the student athlete?
It depends, as it always has, on whether or not the student athlete understands the value of an education after their playing career is done, whether that is years after their graduation date or the next day.

It depends, as it always has, on whether or not the student athlete understands the value of an education after their playing career is done, whether that is years after their graduation date or the next day.
True. But we’ve worked very hard to devalue the education and enhance the perceived value of the athletic skills.

True. But we’ve worked very hard to devalue the education and enhance the perceived value of the athletic skills.
The NCAA, conferences, coaches, and admins all chased the cash big time. This is the inevitable conclusion. Can't talk about the education value and the other side of the mouth is negotiating huge rights fee increases.

It’s a great question but very broad. There are many pros and cons depending on the specificity.

We can watch any game we want on tv. What a great advancement and a huge win for the fan.

Players needing to remove themselves from bowl games because of potential injury is a big loss for the team and fans.

I guess what I’m saying is we would need to really tighten up the question to answer thoughtfully.

Overall, I still enjoy watching college sports, but that could change.

We live in a different world now where conferences have their own networks and the main content of those networks are college athletes. I struggle to rationalize how a scholarship can be used to cover all of these different endeavors like merchandise, networks, fundraising, etc.

I also hate the idea of losing players because schools can’t afford them. I just don’t have an answer and am really conflicted on the subject.

Education should matter, and it's not cheap. Medical care, training, etc etc that preps a kid for whatever next level of life they follow or go.

Happy a guy like Tucker realizes he can run for a zillion yards here and be a day 1 /2 pick next year with the opportunities he found at SU.
Education in the US, due to the guaranteed payer (loans) and the coercion to take out the loans, is far, far over priced.
Higher education should be investigated under RICO. There is price fixing

Education in the US, due to the guaranteed payer (loans) and the coercion to take out the loans, is far, far over priced.

Well whatever on that (I agree it's a joke) but it still costs what it costs and playing ball well offsets it.

It’s a great question but very broad. There are many pros and cons depending on the specificity.

We can watch any game we want on tv. What a great advancement and a huge win for the fan.

Players needing to remove themselves from bowl games because of potential injury is a big loss for the team and fans.

I guess what I’m saying is we would need to really tighten up the question to answer thoughtfully.

Overall, I still enjoy watching college sports, but that could change.

We live in a different world now where conferences have their own networks and the main content of those networks are college athletes. I struggle to rationalize how a scholarship can be used to cover all of these different endeavors like merchandise, networks, fundraising, etc.

I also hate the idea of losing players because schools can’t afford them. I just don’t have an answer and am really conflicted on the subject.
Thank you for the thoughtful and articulate response. I enjoy CFB and CBB less than I did 25 years ago. I think we are on an extended Slip-and-Slide trip to a product that will interest me not at all. People think if money is being generated they must be doing something right. I think that’s short-sighted and disregards the qualities that made college sports great.

The banks make a lot of money off the loans.

giphy.gif

Source: Pitt star WR Addison in transfer portal

He was supposedly offered $3m cash, high end car, and a house in LA by USC NIL group

The end of the NCAA is near. Raiding parties are being formed. The day of tampering pirates is here. It's all about the Benjamins. Scum rises to the top in a stagnant pond populated by voracious greedy College administrators and conferences acting like gangs. Media giants are heading for a collapse and won't have the benjies to fund...overall collapse is imminent.

The end of the NCAA is near. Raiding parties are being formed. The day of tampering pirates is here. It's all about the Benjamins. Scum rises to the top in a stagnant pond populated by voracious greedy College administrators and conferences acting like gangs. Media giants are heading for a collapse and won't have the benjies to fund...overall collapse is imminent.

Imminent?

Like - UMass to the B1G imminent? :p

The banks make a lot of money off the loans.
They need to just make it like the minor leagues. I would imagine colleges are scared shitless. I don’t know why any kid would pay for college anymore. I keep telling my 10 year old to just wait til you find something you really enjoy and research it on the internet. That way also you don’t have to worry about being a BURDEN on tax payers when you can’t pay your loan and then you expect others to pay for you.

The percentage of these kids who will ever make it to the NFL is minuscule. The percentage of those who do make it and last more than a few years is ridiculously small.

The percentage of kids who play college football who come from lower- or lower-middle class is significant. For them, an education and a career is life-changing.

Yet at every step of the way, from the time these athletes are young, we emphasize their physical talents, we reward those, we encourage those. We plant the seed that someday they will be the next NFL all star. We devalue the education. We de-emphasize the positive impact of breaking the cycle in their family’s lives. We set them up for failure.

When they do eventually fail, they are right back where they started. (To the point of the poster above, while I agree with him in theory for many kids, for these kids they are not going to take the initiative to look up their career guiding principles online. We have already squashed that perspective.)

You want to do right for kids, teach them young that they will probably never make it to the nfl. Teach them how to use their gifts to make a huge leap forward in their lives through an education.

A7E3EB58-66DB-448E-B6F4-687929090CCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Technically boosters paying kids to go to a school is still not allowed it just wasn't enforced very well. I expect more of the same.

He was supposedly offered $3m cash, high end car, and a house in LA by USC NIL group
What a freaking joke. Waste you money how you want, sure, but when you start f it up for the rest of us, you're fair game. I hope some enterprising journalists shine some light on these shartbags operating behind the scenes.

well, not sad that we won't face him this year. now if we can eliminate the likes of Cunningham, Leary, Slovis, Jurko and the rest of the brutal list of QBs we face, I will be even happier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom