Class of 2020 - WR Malick Meiga (QC) Portal from Penn St | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Malick Meiga (QC) Portal from Penn St

fair enough. just don't want any of us to minimize what happened there, you clearly aren't doing that. I guess we have to vent in some direction because we hate PSU so much!
I can’t agree more. It’s actually infuriating that they were able to bounce back so quickly like nothing happened. Again not to go down the hoops road, but we are still being effected by our sanctions for example. On to the next!

Another swing and a miss. I think people need to realize how difficult it is to recruit big time talent to Syracuse, New York. It can be done, but as others have indicated, you need sustained success. I'd say 3-5 years of it before you start seeing it reflected in recruiting.
Good point

Things will start changing when CUSE goes 11 - 1 and PSU 5 - 7 in 2019.
That would bring actual happy tears to my eyes to see a round of like 8 de commits and their fan base losing it. We end up saving Meigas life from that horrible place, etc. Ahhh dreams!

No.
Again. My new favorite poster. It's called integrity, and its always been that way.

Associate-with-men-of-good-quality-if-you-esteem-your-own-reputation-for-it-is-better-to-be-al...png

Last edited:
Such a buzzkill...hopefully we land KP. I see a bunch of posters not understanding why kids choose Penn st...have yall not seen the facilities they have? 100k fans and the money pouring in along with sustained success. Not a single recruit is thinking of what happened there during the Paterno era unfortunately. We need to kick ass this year and then see what happens.

We'll keep fighting the good fight (endeavoring to recruit at a sustained higher level) while our coaches piece together an increasingly formidable team thru:
1. Plucking a few blue chips
2. Expert evaluation at camps (yeah the venerable "under the radar" thing)
3. That old chestnut of developing the talent available
4. Scoring a few stout grad transfers/traditional transfers/JUCOs
5. Scheme and S&C

Sure all programs follow this recipe to some extent. But this is our team and we appreciate them on their own merit. We don't have some of the natural advantages others programs do (location, recent winning tradition, dazzling facilities, massive fan base). When we win it's pretty sweet knowing how we got there.

I remember after the Clemson victory in '17, HCDB first stop was Trill Williams house in White Plains. Dino knew. He knew. However, the fact that we usually lose these higher caliber recruits to the seduction of other schools (usually football factories) galls me because I know what they're missing out on (and what we're missing out on too).

That a small-ish, private school in upstate NY is in the ACC is such a bonus to our fandom and a significant challenge to our players. And that we're even in the conversation for national attention speaks volumes on how far HCDB, his staff and players have come. My hope is 2-3 years from now when the staff is settled in and winning regularly (no small feat), that the recruiting network becomes a more powerfully connected grid. And that we see measurable improvement in the objective side (more stars, higher-rated players, better offer sheets) of recruiting. As to the subjective side of recruiting (finding the less heralded recruits and developing them) I think we're doing very well. One of the bottom lines is, that you can only recruit young men that want to be here. So positioning SU as an attractive destination is key. Nothing new there except to say we're doing just about all we can to achieve that right now - at least as I perceive it.

Meanwhile, with the highest of hopes for unimaginable success, I both marvel and sometimes despair at the state of my beloved SU Football teams. Could it be any other way? I think I must've gotten in line twice when they passed out the SU Football fan gene. Well, there are worse situations - I could've been born in New Brunswick.

Again. My new favorite poster. It's called integrity, and its always been that way.

View attachment 168146
Suit yourself. But, if you don't get over it, you sentence yourself to being constantly disappointed. Like beating your head against the wall. SU will win the recruiting battle vs PSU when it puts together a string of seasons like last year's.

We have to keep winning. It will get better but its okay to be frustrated. You don't think the coaches aren't frustrated after putting in the work with Meiga? So it's okay to be frustrated as fans. We just can't let it take away the momentum we have. Lets move on and grab the next best guy. Perception wise, it will be nice to get a high ranked guy to help get others on board.

Other than winning, there are two places we need to improve in order to show blue chip recruits we are a legitimate option.

1. is a full Dome- I think this year is going to look a LOT different than the last few years for Dino.
2. We need to get some guys drafted. Like it or not blue chips want to play in the NFL. We haven't shown the ability to get guys drafted... yet.

Am I pretending nothing happened? No I’m stating the facts that recruits DO NOT CARE about that anymore (is it right? No!). As anyone who watches the news these days, people forget about massive stories in about a week. My point is simply saying that it doesn’t matter those convictions do not effect these recruits and it never will from here on out. Just figured we should realize that our argument of “how can a recruit possibly go there because of that?!” Is just head scratching to me. These kids were 10 when that happened. They do not even think about it. Again I agree it’s gross that this quickly it’s brushed to the side, but I’m just stating the truth.
I'm aware many don't care.

I'm also aware many don't know.

It doesn't make one bit of difference that I post it on a fan forum, but I don't have any problem taking a second to point out that it's unfortunate when young people choose to associate themselves with Institutionally supported child abuse.

That is part of what they're committing to.

Suit yourself. But, if you don't get over it, you sentence yourself to being constantly disappointed. Like beating your head against the wall. SU will win the recruiting battle vs PSU when it puts together a string of seasons like last year's.
Not about football, for me. I'm disappointed for any kid that chooses that, whether we recruited them, or not. Football is a silly game, that I love. I love people more.

Not saying that those who feel differently, don't. For anyone who has ever known a victim, its not negotiable.

We have to keep winning. It will get better but its okay to be frustrated. You don't think the coaches aren't frustrated after putting in the work with Meiga? So it's okay to be frustrated as fans. We just can't let it take away the momentum we have. Lets move on and grab the next best guy. Perception wise, it will be nice to get a high ranked guy to help get others on board.

Totally fine to be frustrated but some of the garbage I am reading on the other site, making the staff sound like they can’t recruit or this class sucks, is annoying and dead wrong

It's not about football recruiting.

If a fellow parent told me their child was excited to attend Penn State, I would be completely comfortable telling them I'm surprised they are on board with that.

When they ask why, I would tell them I'm surprised they're comfortable with their kid associating themselves with an institution that enabled child abuse.

And then we'd see how they react. I'd give them time to tell me why it's ok. And then I'd say "I trust you to and your kid to make the best decision for yourselves. But at least for me, when I see someone with a Penn State degree, my first thought is to wonder why they chose to associate themselves with an institution that actively enabled the abuse of children. And I'd never hire them."

And we probably wouldn't associate much after that. And I'd be ok with it.

Can you guess why?

Totally fine to be frustrated but some of the garbage I am reading on the other site, making the staff sound like they can’t recruit or this class sucks, is annoying and dead wrong
You can't teach stupid. Let it all stay over there. I trust the majority of our posters to actually understand recruiting. To know that no one wins every recruiting battle.

Lets hope Hendrix comes back strong this fall. I actually think that some recruits are looking at a loaded SU roster, No solid QB commit and im not sold on Martin as a recruiting replacement for Lewis.

People have to understand its hard to recruit to Syracuse. Sometimes the better recruiters are not able to solidify verbals. We have to keep winning.

It's not about football recruiting.

If a fellow parent told me their child was excited to attend Penn State, I would be completely comfortable telling them I'm surprised they are on board with that.

When they ask why, I would tell them I'm surprised they're comfortable with their kid associating themselves with an institution that enabled child abuse.

And then we'd see how they react. I'd give them time to tell me why it's ok. And then I'd say "I trust you to and your kid to make the best decision for yourselves. But at least for me, when I see someone with a Penn State degree, my first thought is to wonder why they chose to associate themselves with an institution that actively enabled the abuse of children. And I'd never hire them."

And we probably wouldn't associate much after that. And I'd be ok with it.

Can you guess why?
It's all about football recruiting. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting on the Recruiting board. If you want to post about PSU immorality, I suppose there's a site for that.

I truly wonder how pressuring the pitch is that Franklin makes because this is becoming a little more than coincidental with recruits that Dino allows to explore and take visits (which speaks to his character) and then Franklin closes on the spot... it's gotta be tough for coaches when SU spends 10x more time on a kid and PsU just gets their way seemingly immediately

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom