Class of 2019 - WR Nazir Burnett (PA) Committed to Ga Tech | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 WR Nazir Burnett (PA) Committed to Ga Tech

When you say advice, by a coach or do you think this is more along the lines of school advisors?
For me it's the coaches. They are the people that should be telling these kids how to market themselves with hudl videos and attending on campus camps. But they should also be explaining to them the requirements they need to meet to as a student athlete to qualify for a scholarship. And I think some coaches are biased towards certain universities and their football staff.

“And I think some coaches are biased towards certain universities and their football staff.”... definitely

“And I think some coaches are biased towards certain universities and their football staff.”... definitely
Let's think that out. If you are a high school coach and have seen your kids get taken good care of at school X, wouldn't you let your current players know that? Conversely, if a player of yours had a bad experience at school X, wouldn't you let your current players know that as well?

Different sport for me but me and my family had no idea we were supposed to be marketing. Thought the stats in the paper would do all the work and the coach would assist with their own contacts. Retrospectively seems like a significant oversight. The stats in the local paper don't go anywhere and the coach is limited to their contacts and may have minimal to no contacts.
Not sure of your sport, but I can't tell you the miles we put in for soccer recruiting. South Carolina 3 times, North Carolina, Massachusetts 3-4 times, Pennsylvania multiple times, Michigan, Ohio, NYC...
Non -FB, non-Basketball sport, if you are not on a national or at least regional team, you gotta be selling and being seen. Even regional or national teams might not do it. This year's goalie on my son's HS soccer team has a great resume, better than my son's: ODP regional team 2 years, Academy team 2 years, Varsity as a freshman, All American this year as a senior. Likely going D-3. My son just committed to D-1 Manhattan, and by choice didn't even play his position (goalie) this year for high school (wanted to become better with his feet). Your club team,, and how you do at camps, was all that mattered to the bigger schools.
In fact, Manhattan has never seen him play a game in goal. The saw him at their on- campus camp, then saw him play some field in the state semi-finals. He then went to their next on-campus camp, and half way through, they offered him.

Last edited:
Let's think that out. If you are a high school coach and have seen your kids get taken good care of at school X, wouldn't you let your current players know that? Conversely, if a player of yours had a bad experience at school X, wouldn't you let your current players know that as well?
I was thinking of a particular coach that "redirect" a kid that was committed to SU to another school.

Didnt one of the sta coaches redirect palmer to ut because he has an axe to grind w cuse

not sure if he has an axe to grind but the Sta head coach is Roger Harriott who was hired by Marrone to coach running backs and then quit a couple of days later.

UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL COACH ROGER HARRIOTT HEADED TO SYRACUSE

Harriott has change of heart, resigns as SU running backs coach

I frankly hate recruiting Sta kids, tons of them commit to hold spots and then wait for better offers.

not sure if he has an axe to grind but the Sta head coach is Roger Harriott who was hired by Marrone to coach running backs and then quit a couple of days later.

UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL COACH ROGER HARRIOTT HEADED TO SYRACUSE

Harriott has change of heart, resigns as SU running backs coach

I frankly hate recruiting Sta kids, tons of them commit to hold spots and then wait for better offers.

Yep I remember that, there may have been more to it but supposedly the wife didn't really approve of the weather. To add Palmer killed it with 23 catches this season..

To add Palmer killed it with 23 catches this season..

That's what happens when you play in a pro-style offense. fewer catches. their leader only had 37. He's decent, big strong kid but we don't miss him.

That's what happens when you play in a pro-style offense. fewer catches. their leader only had 37. He's decent, big strong kid but we don't miss him.

Exactly. We will get more out of a WR commit than most schools.

I don't know about that, but this kid with Custis and Harris at wrs would have been catch me if you can. lol I would take Palmer in a heart beat.

interesting that you don't hear his name with any other schools?

wonder if grades are an issue with him? this kid should have been pulling in some offers after he decommitted from us. makes me wonder if we had a mutual parting of the ways with him due to grades. or maybe I have no idea what I am talking about, which would be normal.

wonder if grades are an issue with him? this kid should have been pulling in some offers after he decommitted from us. makes me wonder if we had a mutual parting of the ways with him due to grades. or maybe I have no idea what I am talking about, which would be normal.

I do not know what happened, but it is a really strange scenario. He seems to not be getting offers or doing much of anything.

My theory is that he's told the staff he's going to prep school. Other peer schools may have been told the same. He might be going to prep school because of grades or because he thinks the factories should be after him. Whatever the reason, the staff is still hoping he might wind up here rather than go to prep.

My theory is that he's told the staff he's going to prep school. Other peer schools may have been told the same. He might be going to prep school because of grades or because he thinks the factories should be after him. Whatever the reason, the staff is still hoping he might wind up here rather than go to prep.

So if he’s looking for higher level offers that aren’t “peer school” compared to Syracuse... is he hoping for one of 10-15 schools to offer? Seems like a pretty far-fetched plan... (and I realize some may not feel the same way about SU but the team won 10 games...).

Factory schools aren’t going to look at him more after a year at prep school, most likely. He’s not going to increase his chances by doing that. Those schools will just recruit multiple other 4-5 star HS players next year. So that angle doesn’t make any sense to me.

Prep school b/c grades aren’t in order, now that seems the most likely cause at this point.

Factory schools aren’t going to look at him more after a year at prep school, most likely. He’s not going to increase his chances by doing that. Those schools will just recruit multiple other 4-5 star HS players next year. So that angle doesn’t make any sense to me.

Prep school b/c grades aren’t in order, now that seems the most likely cause at this point.

I'm just trying to explain why we're still after him.

I'm just trying to explain why we're still after him.

I wasn't crapping on what you said at all, just pointing out why I think that specifically isn't the reason. Just because I don't think it doesn't make sense though, doesn't mean he or his coach don't.

Lots of speculation. And when I creep through his twitter the schools I see him following are Toledo, Cincy, UCF. Not what you would expect from a kid looking for a "bigger" offer.

Perhaps the staff feels they still have a chance here and are hesitating in taking in option B from Texas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom